Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pacific Coast Highway Camping Trip  (Read 4882 times)

AGSchu119

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2008 Xterra
Pacific Coast Highway Camping Trip
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Hello all.

I am planning a trip up north in a couple of weeks. Starting in the Santa Monica area, I am planning on running up the PCH all the way to at least Santa Cruz. I am not questioning or thinking too much about the camping side of that; I have all the gear. Two questions:

I am planning on trying to do some "off road" drives as I head up the coast. There seem to be a few dirt roads (not too challenging, as I am still stock 4WD SE) on the way up to Santa Cruz. I have found the ones I want to do on this website:

https://www.trails.com/trailfinder/browsebymap/?statecode=CS&lat=34.74161245112053&lon=-119.38568107421872&z=8&m=roadmap&a=OD#trailid=XFT003-058&lat=37.29144&lon=-119.10113999999999&zoom=10&m=roadmap&a=OD

Are there any other trails that anyone knows of that are a MUST for a newbie like me? I am usually more ocean inclined so will be finding surfing beaches along the way, but now I want to go inland to explore the mountains and forests. What do I need to see/what do I need to drive on this trip?

Second question. As I mentioned, I am set on camping gear. What are the bare necessities for accessories for light off roading (mostly graded dirt roads)? I am planning on getting a compressor and air down for the Pismo sand highway (beach and dunes) but are other necessities in terms of actual off road gear?

Jack?
Shovel?
Tow Strap (which I should have anyway)?
Fire Extinguisher?
Spare?
Basic Tools?

Thanks for the feedback

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Pacific Coast Highway Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
If you are going on dirt roads and not really doing any off roading just a few basic things should be just fine. Small shovel, basic tool set, spare tire etc, sounds like you hit everything in your initial post. Use good judgment when you are out there and if alone maybe let folks back home know your whereabouts in case you are out of cell coverage. It sounds like you are setup for camping gear in case of a planned or un-planned campout somewhere so in the end you will be fine. That entire area is a lot of fun to go see. I've driven the coast road numerous times and each time I've thoroughly enjoyed it. If you get up far enough the Redwoods are not to be missed. Some of my favorite parts of the state start around Ft. Bragg area wandering a little inland and back out again along the coast. Some nice breweries too i.e. Lagunitas, Russian River Brewery and North Coast Brewery.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Lockers...

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
It's not really an off-road destination, but if you are going as far north as Santa Cruz you should stop for a visit to the Bigfoot Discovery Museum in Felton.  We stopped off there a year ago, and it was well worth the trip.  Beautiful area up in the mountains, by the way.

http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.com

If nothing else it will give you something to think about when you're hiking or camping in the woods around California.

If you really want a great experience, drop a $5 bill in the donation jar and ask the Mr. Rugg why you don't see bigfoots during the daytime in California.  Trust me, it's worth it.

AGSchu119

• 2008 Xterra
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Celt: Great advice on the breweries, I hadn't really thought of those. I feel like we are a bit lacking in micro breweries down here in LA. We are for sure trying to push as far north as the redwoods.

FrankB: The Bigfoot Discovery Museum sounds awesome. We may check that out!

Thank you for your good advice!

AGSchu119

• 2008 Xterra
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:47 PM »
The journey begins tomorrow. The trail plan so far (as well as other touristy type activities) will be potentially:

West Camino Cielo north of Santa Barbara

Camping and driving the sand at Oceano Dunes

Prewitt Ridge drive and camping near Lucia

Old Coast Highway through Big Sur, near the Bixby Bridge

Everything else should be on fully paved highways, unless I find something I want to dive off and explore. I will give a full report when we get back!

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:13:42 PM »
Very nice, reminds me of a road trip I took going up the coast up to Chico over about five days, stopping along the way visiting friends. I think was able to take one of the fire roads near Lucia into the Los Padres, and made an impromptu night camping back there; it could well have been Prewitt Ridge. Take some photos!

AGSchu119

• 2008 Xterra
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
Well we are back from our trip and it was a great success.

The downhill at first is a bit daunting, especially as this was really our first attempt at anything remotely resembling an off road "experience." We navigated some nice ruts and bumps and made it down perfectly. The views once you get to the next, flatter part of the trail were amazing. The entire valley to your right and the pacific ocean with views of all the northern Channel Islands to your left. We were more than pleased.

Then we found a puddle. As this was my first time even really using 4WD (The trail was doable in 2WD but was also dry), I was hesitant to charge into a puddle so I got out and promptly slid in myself trying to measure the depth. I convinced myself all was well and it would all be great and backed up for a run, just in time to hear whooping and hollering behind me. I got out of the way and a lifted Tundra with three people in the bed came flying down the hill and hit the mud much faster than I would have. Right behind that more than capable truck came a stock dodge something SUV and they succeeded so I went for it. Totally worth it! Lots of mud and the X EASILY made it through the puddle. I took advice from the Tundra and Dodge and reading here and hit it with some speed.

The rest of the trail was basically navigating ruts and we ended up finishing the trail just as the sun started to go down, offering stunning views of the ridge and the sunset. Thank you again retrograde, next time we are up there I want to try the other direction. As a side note, this trail may be considered "easy" by some, and in fact our friend in her 4WD Rav4 also made it, but she did end up with a nice dent in her exhaust. The X made it just fine stock.

Our next adventure was Pismo beach. Although not challenging at all, it was fun to cruise the beach and check out the ridiculous rigs that people brought. I could not believe the size of the campers and trucks, and that more did not get stuck. We did laugh as we watched a Versa plunge down the hill and strait into the softest sand they could find, promptly sinking.

Our third and final road was the Old Coast Highway that ducks off Highway 1 in Big Sur, heads up and over farmland hills and down through redwood valleys. Simply amazing views and vistas. A great detour, much wider and easier than the Camino Cielo.

So anyway, some pictures from our adventure and thank you all for your advice. We look forward to more trips soon!

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
Awesome pictures! Looks like a fun time!

AGSchu119

• 2008 Xterra
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 04:52:24 PM »
It was indeed. It was great to just get a little time on non-highways :). I want to get up there and do the East Camino Cielo next, apparently there are hot springs you can check out!

Now I just have to figure out how to make more money to spend more!

FrankB

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
Any Bigfoot sightings along the way?