Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Drive Shaft Repair/Service  (Read 2180 times)

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
Drive Shaft Repair/Service
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
So I have been tracking down a squeak/slight rattle that I can hear accelerating from a stop up until about 15 mph.  I checked the front end at first thinking it was a hub or wheel bearing.  Front end it tight and good to go.  I greased the U joints on the front and rear drive shafts but that didn't help either.  The U joints felt tight but maybe some of the needle bearing were seized up causing the noise.  I took the drive shaft (rear) off and found the rear U joints were a little stiff and I thought that was making the noise.  I took the driveshaft into Drive Shaft Pro to get looked at.  They were able to remove the rear U joints, clean them up, and re install them.  That took care of the rear U joint stiffness.  They found a little looseness in the double cardan joint but thought it was due to lack of grease.  They took it apart, cleaned everything, and re-greased the joint which tightened that back up.  Upon picking up the drive shaft they told me that they couldn't find any problems and didn't replace any parts so there was no charge.  I couldn't recommend this shop more for anyone need drive shaft repair.  Drive shaft it back on and the noise is gone.  I looked at the double cardan joint and there isn't a grease fitting at all so looks like I will be taking it apart if this happens again.  Overall great shop to deal with and very upfront with everything.