Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Make your bed! (M̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ car camping (plus other stuff album))  (Read 16399 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Looks awesome, and looks like a fun trip! I'm glad the setup is working exactly as you hoped it would. :)

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
Yes! It is awesome! I cannot wait to get back out there!

CVXTERRA

Camping and climbing in Joshua tree. Got in late Thursday night and all the usually camp spots were taken so on our way to the BLM found a couple of spots in cottonwood spring campground. Never stayed at this campground before but it was really far out and wasn't much climbing near by so that was a bit of a drive but there were some nice hikes and real flushing bathrooms so that was cool.

I am pretty new to camping but this was the first time I have focused on reducing waste. Including reusable silverware and dishes, reusable towels, bio soap, and water can. Had no paper plate/cup/silverware waste and did not bring disposable water. small steps but I felt pretty good about it.
Still working on refining what is needed and what is over the top but I am pretty pleased with my progress.

Here are some shots from the trip. Pic heavy.
Pic heavy.

my one eyed cat trying to come along

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re:
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
Looks like a fun trip! What's the story behind the avocado with what looks like a bite taken from it?

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Re:
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Looks like a fun trip! What's the story behind the avocado with what looks like a bite taken from it?

He was hungry, obvi. 

No time for knives. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

CVXTERRA

He was hungry, obvi. 

No time for knives. 

I have very tiny teeth :D

Really though. Went to bed and it was untouched. Woke up and something got to it in the night. Not sure what it was exactly but it was pretty neat.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Aliens.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
What awning/room did you go with?  I really like that setup.

CVXTERRA

This is the ARB awning 2000 and the corresponding annex room. This is really one of the greatest things I have ever purchased. I use the awning all the time independently of the room and when I am all the way set up for camping its a hit. Room provides a place for gear to go since we sleep in the X and it is everyones favorite place to change since you can actually stand up. When the doors and windows open it gets great air flow and is a cool place to eat lunch away from heat and bugs.  I cannot recommend this enough.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-Lifestyle-and-Camping/Retractable-Awning-2000.aspx?t_c=88&t_s=565&t_pt=9575&t_pn=ARBARB4402A

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-Lifestyle-and-Camping/Touring-2000-Awning-Room-with-Floor.aspx?t_c=88&t_s=565&t_pt=9575&t_pn=ARBARB4412A

CVXTERRA

Hey all, its been a little while since I have posted so I thought I would drop by and upload some pictures from my trip to the eastern sierras last month. Spent about a week up there and had an absolute blast hiking, fishing, and hanging in hammocks!

I've made a couple of changes to my set up after an almost year of camping. I swapped out my wrap around curtains for the reflectix insulation cut to the size of all the individual windows. I also swapped out my mattress topper for an actual 5" trifold mattress, which works much better for anything more than 2 or so nights of sleeping.

As always, I could not be happier with the performance of the X and how it fits my needs. Makes camping for the two of us easy and comfortable. plus I pulled 20.5 mpg the whole way up with a fully loaded X :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:27:53 PM by CVXTERRA »

SyK0

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2012 Xterra S
I'm digging your setup! Awesome trips you've taken with the X  8)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Beautiful photos, looks like an awesome trip!

CVXTERRA

Spent a couple nights just outside of Anza Borrego. We stayed at Culp Valley Primitive Campground, which was free and absolutely beautiful. The wet winter we've had so far made the views stunning. So much green! This was also the first time I was able to test out my "little red campfire", which performed flawlessly and put of decent heat for its size. Think I may be going this route for my campfires from now on. The ease of packing two small ish items (pit and tank) beats lugging firewood and hoping you don't run out or have to keep buying more. All and all, another great trip in the books for me. If you get a chance, I highly recommend the site. Would have loved to stay longer but the weather was changing so we were grateful for the two days of sunshine and clear skies.