Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Sony Stereo "bulk purchase"  (Read 16142 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Sony Stereo "bulk purchase"
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
Since I have to place a limit on this, I'm going to call this a bulk purchase" instead of a "group buy." As some of you already know, the recent death of an SCCX member's OEM radio has sparked some interest in aftermarket radios. I have a little bit of a background in car audio, and actually began working for Sony Electronics 13 years ago as a car stereo salesperson. Currently, I receive 25% off of Sony car stereos via my employee discount, which I am allowed (by company policy) to share with "family and close friends." Since I consider everyone within SCCX to be a close friend, I'm happy to do what I can to help out the group.  ;D

While the policy allows this, it also has some strict consequences for what the company considers abuse. For the sake of keeping my employment, I've decided to cap this bulk purchase at 6 radios total. The radio being offered is the Sony MEXN5100BT. It's a basic aftermarket unit that is easy to operate, but still has advanced features such as Bluetooth for hands-free telephone calls and wireless music streaming, USB input for playing music files off of a storage device (such as a thumb drive), and Siri Hands Free for use with certain apple products. More detailed information about the radio can be found here:
https://store.sony.com/receiver-w-bluetooth-nfc-app-remote-zid27-MEXN5100BT/cat-27-catid-all-car-stereo-receivers;pgid=vq1GmP9GBypSRpHag3jvgekR0000FVwqPpqK?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dmexn5100bt

The radio retails for $129.99, but comes out to $97.49 with my discount (a savings of $32.50). Shipping is free of charge, but there is sales tax based on the ship-to location, which would be my house. This equates to $7.80, which makes the total purchase $105.29. In addition to this radio, you'll need some aftermarket accessories to complete the install - specifically, a dash kit and a wiring harness. These parts vary a little from year to year and trim level to trim level. The best info I can provide is this:

If you have an 09-15 model, you PROBABLY need this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Double-Din-Radio-Stereo-Dash-Kit-Installation-Wire-Harness-Install-/331430715972?fits=Model%3AXterra&hash=item4d2acf6244&vxp=mtr

If you have an 05-08 model, you PROBABLY need this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMPLETE-CAR-STEREO-RADIO-INSTALLATION-DASH-TRIM-KIT-W-WIRE-HARNESS-PLUG-/360728491231?fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3AXterra&hash=item53fd17f4df&vxp=mtr

If you have an 00-04 model, you PROBABLY need this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-INSTALLATION-KIT-CAR-STEREO-DASH-KIT-WIRE-HARNESS-MOUNT-FOR-NISSAN-/252000524609?fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3AXterra&hash=item3aac66d941&vxp=mtr

I say 'PROBABLY' for each of these, because there are some variances in terms of trim levels and options. Please note that if you have any advanced features, such as the Rockford Fosgate system w/ Subwoofer, Factory Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls, etc - you may require additional installation accessories to install the radio or to make these features work. I AM NOT an expert with working with many of these adapters, and some of them can be expensive and complex while others can be easy and inexpensive. If you're in this situation, I'd suggest you post up what you have below and we can get additional input from the group (sounds like knightrider has experience dealing with the factory Bluetooth, and Scott307 has experience dealing with the factory steering wheel controls).

There are a couple of ways we can handle this bulk purchase:

1) For those of you who want this to be as easy as possible for yourself, I'll offer to purchase the radio and required installation accessories for you, and I can install the radio for you free of charge. If you go this route, I will just add $2 onto the total purchase price for the parts I'll need to complete the installation (butt connectors, heat shrink tubing, etc), but won't charge anything for my time and effort. Also, if you go this route, I'll need to communicate a little with you before hand to make sure we get the correct installation accessories for your setup (a picture of your dash will do the trick).

2) For those of you who simply want the deal on the radio, I can purchase the radio for you and you can acquire the installation accessories yourself.

As far as installation: I'm willing to do this in my driveway for you, but you'd have to make your way to Murrieta where I live either on a weekend or an evening during the week. If you want to install it yourself, I can still pre-connect the Sony and Nissan wiring harnesses to make it a simple plug and play installation for you. You'll just need to tear apart your own dash and install the dash kit, which is pretty straight forward and simple (they usually include instructions for your car too, but not always). Installation should take about 45 minutes to an hour, which includes the time required to run the external microphone up to your headliner. As RBDuffer has graciously offered, we can also arrange a mod-day at his place to make this happen.

Because I'll be ordering these through my work, they have to ship to my home. If you're installing it yourself, we can make arrangements to get the radio to you via a food-truck meet, shipping, face-to-face meet, etc. I'm flexible and just want to help everyone out here. :)

As for payment, I'm flexible there too. If you prefer to send me money via PayPal before I make the purchase, I'm ok with that. If you want to give me cash in person when we meet up for the install/delivery/whatever, I'm ok with that also. I just ask for your word that you'll make good on your purchase.

The next post includes participants of this "bulk purchase."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:32:19 AM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Sony Stereo "bulk purchase"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
Participants are below. I've included those who showed interest via the other posting or via PM.

1) Alex - Stereo and 00-04 installation accessories, with installation from Joe - total price: $122.54
2) 0317 - Stereo and 00-04 installation accessories, with installation from Joe - total price: $122.54
3) Celt - Stereo and 05-08 installation accessories, with self install (I'll prewire the harness for you, so I'm adding the $2 for installation parts) - total price: $127.24
4) RBDuffer - Stereo and 05-08 installation accessories, with self install (I'll prewire the harness for you, so I'm adding the $2 for installation parts) - total price: $127.24 + hookers booze
5) Toro - Stereo only - total price: $105.29
6)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:32:30 AM by JFanaselle »

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Holy Moly!  You have gone waaaaaay beyond the call....
My rig is an '07. Please hook me up with the Pre-wired self install program.
I can pay with cash and booze and cigars and hookers.
 No tattoos please!    I mean I won't pay with tattoos, but the hookers might have tattoos :P

Edited for content, BOD
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
Done!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
Actually Randy, since you have an "Off Road," there's some stuff that needs to be addressed (see my post in the other thread about it being a PITA to replace the upgraded stereos):

1) You WILL lose the factory XM if you upgrade to an aftermarket radio. Even an aftermarket radio that is "Satellite Radio Ready," which simply means it is capable of controlling an aftermarket satellite radio adapter. You can purchase an aftermarket Satellite Radio tuner that will work with the new stereo, but it will set you back about $100, require you to run a new antenna to your roof (can't work with the factory antenna) and will cost you $35 to activate through XM.

2) Because you have the Rockford Fosgate package, you'll require some special adapters:

To retain the OEM steering wheel controls, you'll need the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter. Crutchfield sells this adapter for $69.99: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541SWIRC/PAC-SWI-RC-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html

Crutchfield is also recommending a "line level converter" in order to connect the factory amplifier and use the factory subwoofer. I'm not really sure why you need this component. Again, this is where I'm very inexperienced, as I've never seen the connections on the Rockford Fosgate systems. Either way, the part they're recommending is $19.99, and can be seen here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4-Line-Output-Converter.html
As an FYI - If you purchase this same Sony radio directly from Crutchfield, they give you the dash kit and wiring harness for free, and they give you a significant discount on the adapters. Basically, they offer you everything you need for $44.99, which makes the total $174.97 with free shipping. This rivals the price you'd pay if you got the stereo at my discount and had to source all of the parts on your own, so it's worth considering.

Sorry it's not so cookie cutter for your rig. I'll say it again, it's a PITA to convert the upgraded units. :( Please consider all of these factors and let me know if you're still interested in being included in this bulk purchase and what route you'd like to take.

I can still get you the deal on the radio, but I'm not the right guy to source the installation goodies and help you with the install. Anyone with more experience with upgrading the Rockford Fosgate system - feel free to chime in and help out RBDuffer here (knightrider maybe?)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:57:02 PM by JFanaselle »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
I didn't use a line level converter, but the head unit I bought had rca outputs, if the head unit you are buying doesn't have rca outputs, you will need the line level converter.  Imo its worth it to buy a headunit with rca preouts instead of using the line level converter.  The steering wheel control is pretty simple, just 2 wires.  The factory Bluetooth module located under the passenger seat will need to be bypassed but its just a matter of cutting a couple wires and splicing them together under the seat. 

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:49:24 PM »
Also crutchfield runs a deal on some radios where they throw the satellite tuner in for free or discounted.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk
Jordan - K6XTE

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Flexible on payment? Will you take 75 dollars of Home Depot store credit towards that $122 good sir?
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
Ok cool. I don't think Randy has factory bluetooth, but I could be wrong.

The radio being offered does have front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs. That's why I couldnt' understand why Crutchfield is recommending the line level converter. Strange. Anyway, good to know it doesn't require it.

So does the factory amplifier only power the subwoofer, or does it power the door speakers as well? Just curious how many of the preamp outputs get used on the radio.

RBDuffer - it looks like that steering wheel control adapter can be purchased for about $30 if you shop around: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-SWI-RC-Steering-Wheel-Control-ALPINE-JVC-KENWOOD-Pioneer-Sony-Clarion-SWiRC-/400947571179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5a5669eb
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:08:50 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »
Flexible on payment? Will you take 75 dollars of Home Depot store credit towards that $122 good sir?

Ha, not that flexible. :) I just meant I'm flexible in terms of when and how you pay, but I still prefer payment in US Dollars.  ;D

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Lmao
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
the factory RF system uses 4 chan full range input into the amp and outputs 6 channels, 2 channels for the dual voice coil subwoofer, 4 full range channels for the rest of the speakers. the amp has the crossover for the sub.

it is probably recommending the line level converter because the sony radio only has 2v preouts, this is generally not enough and will result in lower volume output or none at all, 4v preouts is what most amps require now a days.

also beware, the install kit for 09+ you listed is for double din radios, so it doesn't include a blank or pocket for single din install.  

also some some of the lower trim 09+ X or S models came with the 05-08 dash layouts.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:49:56 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »
Good info, thanks Jordan. I used the opportunity to do a little research on some web forums and found quite a few people with less-than-optimal results using 2V preamp outputs with the stock RF amp. So Randy - if you wanted to use this particular radio, it would require the additional line-level converter purchase for about $20. If we upgraded you to a radio that already has 4V preamp outputs, this would be avoided (but it's likely more than a $20 upgrade).

And good catch Jordan in regards to the double din setup for the 09+. That's the kit I ordered for mine, which IS a double din unit, and I just wasn't even thinking about needing to have the pocket for this single din radio. I'll find the appropriate kit if anyone with an 09+ jumps in on this.

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks Joe for coordinating this and giving the offer to us.
If it's OK with Randy and Joe, I'm completely in for a mod day. :)

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
The Mod Day offer at my place is completely Joe's call, just in case he didn't want a bunch of traffic at his place.  But I want Joe to do what's best for him, cuz he's 'the man'.

Now, about me!  You guys are scaring the crap outta me.  If this is not the simple swap, forget about it.
 But, my radio does not say 'Rockford Fosgate' anywhere on it.  It does not have bluetooth and my steering wheel doesn't even know that I have a radio.  Please don't ask me to send a photo cuz....F*** technology.  Thanks Guys.

Edit: I put on my reading glasses (cuz I lost my spelling glasses), and it says CY13B in the top right corner. FWIW
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:54:57 PM by RBduffer »
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO