Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488938 times)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1470 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
I went out on a little ride and smashed up my stock step rails a little and tested out the new aluminum skid plates I put on. The skids are awesome!
I figured I would use and abuse the step rails a little before removing and putting on some proper sliders. Looks like White Knuckle is the fan favorite. Any other brands I should look at?

WK all the way.

Careful putting too much faith in the stock step rails.
They are not in any way a protective piece of equipment.
I like to equate them to a brush guard.  More of a damage multiplier than a damage mitigator. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1471 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
Agreed with Steve (on both comments). 1st - if you're able to pick up the WK sliders in person, you'll save the shipping costs associated with purchasing ones from Hefty or Shrock or the other popular companies. This will already even out the price, and you'll have a better product (White Knuckle is local - I believe they're in Apple Valley in the high desert). 2nd - like Steve said, it's not just the steps themselves you'll eff up. They've been known to cause significant damage to your rocker panels and the bottoms of your doors. You're honestly better to wheel without them at all than you are to leave them on, even if you don't care about ruining them.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #1472 on: October 23, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Changed to my OEM wheels and finally put on some decent tires.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #1473 on: October 23, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
Hey, didn't I see this on another thread here >:D 
Just bustin' yer nuts.  If I EVER buy NEW tires I will post photos on EVERY thread and open two new ones ::)
Lookin good Rick.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #1474 on: October 24, 2017, 07:28:17 AM »
Wouldn't that be too much interweb for you Randy?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #1475 on: October 24, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Rick...finding those vinyl hood decals in blue/dark grey would look cool too.   ;)

Like the new wheels...Pro 4X?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #1476 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
I assume the extra damage from keeping them on is because they are not attached to the frame, correct? I guess I will remove them. Just hate to do a little sideways slide without something there. I was thinking until I get sliders they would be like bubble wrap. Slide and the step dents and not the rocker. Next slide the rocker gets it.
Been looking at the WK website. It's only a little more but is the DOM worth it? I'm far more overland than rock crawler. The reason I damaged my steps and hit my skids (rock crawling Coral Canyon) was because I've only had the Xterra trail ready enough less than a year and wanted to see what it's limitations are. I've found that often rocks get between me and where I'm going. So, I need to know when to turn around and when to go for it. I might slide on them a decent amount but rarely will I land hard on them. Pony up the extra $40?
G.B.H.

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #1477 on: October 24, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
Hey, didn't I see this on another thread here >:D 
Just bustin' yer nuts.  If I EVER buy NEW tires I will post photos on EVERY thread and open two new ones ::)
Lookin good Rick.
I must post them in multiple places because I'm overjoyed with finally having decent tires.  O0
Wouldn't that be too much interweb for you Randy?
zing....
Rick...finding those vinyl hood decals in blue/dark grey would look cool too.   ;)

Like the new wheels...Pro 4X?
Hmm, I should look into that...Yessir, Pro4X that originally came on the truck.  They've been sitting in boxes since the weekend after I purchased the X.
R. Long

beedee

« Reply #1478 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
I assume the extra damage from keeping them on is because they are not attached to the frame, correct? I guess I will remove them. Just hate to do a little sideways slide without something there. I was thinking until I get sliders they would be like bubble wrap. Slide and the step dents and not the rocker. Next slide the rocker gets it.
Been looking at the WK website. It's only a little more but is the DOM worth it? I'm far more overland than rock crawler. The reason I damaged my steps and hit my skids (rock crawling Coral Canyon) was because I've only had the Xterra trail ready enough less than a year and wanted to see what it's limitations are. I've found that often rocks get between me and where I'm going. So, I need to know when to turn around and when to go for it. I might slide on them a decent amount but rarely will I land hard on them. Pony up the extra $40?

Yes, mine are also DOM. I'd definitely pony up. I don't do hard core wheeling/crawling but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #1479 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

It is both from the attachment to the body "tub" (which can bend the body panels), and also because you essentially lose clearance with them. They won't drag across your obstacles, they'll simply push up into to the body panels of your vehicle and damage the panels. You can come down on a smaller rock right in the middle portion of your step rail, and it will push the entire rail up into the side of the vehicle (potentially damaging your rocker panel, and both the front and rear doors). Without the step in place, you've got a better chance (maybe another inch or two) of clearing the rock in the first place. But even if you don't clear it, it'll only damage the spot it hits.

The example Steve gave about the brush guard is similar. If you hit, let's say a small animal - without a brush guard, it'll damage the part of the car that was hit. With a brush guard, it'll hit the guard and push it back into your grill, your bumper, your hood, and will pull out the bottom part of your radiator support. Small problem now = big problem.

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #1480 on: October 25, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Took the steps off.
Made a mount for my traction boards
Going to order rock sliders tonight. On the drivers side the skid plates mount in places on the frame. Will I have to do any mods to get the sliders on?
G.B.H.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #1481 on: October 25, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »
Took the steps off.
Made a mount for my traction boards
Going to order rock sliders tonight. On the drivers side the skid plates mount in places on the frame. Will I have to do any mods to get the sliders on?
As I recall, the rear-most slider mount on the driver's side overlaps one of the skid plates (fuel tank?).  You can notch it or just overlap it.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #1482 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
As I recall, the rear-most slider mount on the driver's side overlaps one of the skid plates (fuel tank?).  You can notch it or just overlap it.
You are correct.  I have yet to notch my skid, so I just removed those two mount bolts on the slider and bolted the skid down.  Thank for reminding me that I need to cut the skid.
R. Long

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #1483 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
I got my sliders from Desert Runners Off Road, located in Upland.  They are an up and coming fabricator.  I'm really happy with them, and the turn around time was extremely quick compared to what WK is. If I remember,they were less expensive than WK as well.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #1484 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »

I did an xterra conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk