Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What have you done for your Rig lately.  (Read 488745 times)

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
Re: What have you done for your Rig lately.
« Reply #1020 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
A few other easy mods that come to mind: remove the rear sway bar, remove rear mud flaps, and if you're already running bigger tires on the 2nd Gens, look up how to do the melt mod for inside the front fenders. And y'all should make a page in the Display Case to show some pics as things progress! :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:55:47 PM by Alex »

RattFink27

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2007 Xterra S
« Reply #1021 on: February 23, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
This weekend I installed the OME suspension kit and a couple days before that I installed the OEM fog lights. And a month before that was some duratrac tires and new wheels. Next up is rock sliders and under garment protection.  ;)

Deadpilot

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #1022 on: February 23, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
So today I modified my trans mount again to help deal with a problem there. And also added few inches of metal to the panhard bracket to get everything leveled out. I'll post pics tomorrow. I should be to test drive it tomorrow also

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Riz98

• 4wd Pts: 8
  • PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1023 on: February 24, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »
Changed the transmission fluid, transfer care, and rear differential fluid.  I was going to do the front but the diff cover doesnt have a drain plug so I wasnt prepared to pull the cover off and reseal it.  The fill plug also requires a large allen key that I dont have so I may get to that this Friday.  The transmission fluid didn't look too bad.  Had a slight tinge of brown to it but was mostly red still.  The transfer case was pretty dirty and had a large amount of metal shaving on the drain plug.  No big chunks so for now I'm good.  The rear diff had some white milky fluid in it which I am assuming was water but once that drained out it had a nice purple color to it.  AFT synthetic for the transmission, Master Pro Synthetic 75-90 for the transfer case, and Master Pro 80-90 for the diff's.  I'll probably change out the diff fluid every 30,000 miles or after deep water crossing so I didn't bother using a synthetic.

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #1024 on: February 27, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »
Changed the transmission fluid, transfer care, and rear differential fluid.  I was going to do the front but the diff cover doesnt have a drain plug so I wasnt prepared to pull the cover off and reseal it.  The fill plug also requires a large allen key that I dont have so I may get to that this Friday.  The transmission fluid didn't look too bad.  Had a slight tinge of brown to it but was mostly red still.  The transfer case was pretty dirty and had a large amount of metal shaving on the drain plug.  No big chunks so for now I'm good. The rear diff had some white milky fluid in it which I am assuming was water but once that drained out it had a nice purple color to it. AFT synthetic for the transmission, Master Pro Synthetic 75-90 for the transfer case, and Master Pro 80-90 for the diff's.  I'll probably change out the diff fluid every 30,000 miles or after deep water crossing so I didn't bother using a synthetic.

Have you considered doing the Breather Extension MOD on your rear diff?  Will def help keep water out during water crossings.....

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #1025 on: February 28, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
Finally got around to installing the new LED bumper lights I got for Christmas with a little help from the current driver.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1026 on: February 28, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »
Changed the transmission fluid, transfer care, and rear differential fluid.  I was going to do the front but the diff cover doesnt have a drain plug so I wasnt prepared to pull the cover off and reseal it.  The fill plug also requires a large allen key that I dont have so I may get to that this Friday.  The transmission fluid didn't look too bad.  Had a slight tinge of brown to it but was mostly red still.  The transfer case was pretty dirty and had a large amount of metal shaving on the drain plug.  No big chunks so for now I'm good.  The rear diff had some white milky fluid in it which I am assuming was water but once that drained out it had a nice purple color to it.  AFT synthetic for the transmission, Master Pro Synthetic 75-90 for the transfer case, and Master Pro 80-90 for the diff's.  I'll probably change out the diff fluid every 30,000 miles or after deep water crossing so I didn't bother using a synthetic.
The front dif does have a drain plug, iirc its on the driver's side, fill plug is on the passenger side.  The drain and fill use a 10mm Allen

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1027 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »
The front dif does have a drain plug, iirc its on the driver's side, fill plug is on the passenger side.  The drain and fill use a 10mm Allen

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Dana 44 front axle to be specific.  Anyways I pulled the bolts off the front diff cover and that thing is on there good.  Tried for a little while to get the cover free from the sealant but it wouldn't budge.  The fluid is right at the fill plug so I left it for now.  I think a new cover might be a future mod so I can just fill and drain and be done with it.  Also purchased some wheels spacers from Amazon to widen the front axle to match the rear. 

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #1028 on: February 29, 2016, 12:46:53 AM »
Dana 44 front axle to be specific.  Anyways I pulled the bolts off the front diff cover and that thing is on there good.  Tried for a little while to get the cover free from the sealant but it wouldn't budge.  The fluid is right at the fill plug so I left it for now.  I think a new cover might be a future mod so I can just fill and drain and be done with it.  Also purchased some wheels spacers from Amazon to widen the front axle to match the rear. 

What did they seal that cover with JB Weld?
Isaiah 6:8

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1029 on: March 01, 2016, 12:35:57 AM »
  What did they seal that cover with JB Weld?

Yeah maybe.  It looks like black RTV was used and probably alot of it.  Any good tips on getting the cover off the next time I do this?  I didn't want to pry it off and mess up the mating surface of the axle.  Probably try this again soon with a six pack of some good IPA's for help.

Celt

« Reply #1030 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »
Yeah maybe.  It looks like black RTV was used and probably alot of it.  Any good tips on getting the cover off the next time I do this?  I didn't want to pry it off and mess up the mating surface of the axle.  Probably try this again soon with a six pack of some good IPA's for help.

I'm not exactly sure what would be the easiest way to go about doing it if you are worried about marring the metal. Gently tapping a straight slot screw driver straight in with a rubber mallet has always worked well for me. Make sure the screwdriver is more over towards the diff cover so the lions share of the existing RTV is still on the diff and keep the angle straight. If something does get scratched up in the process I'd rather it be the cover. If you have a stock cover now might be a good time to upgrade to something more solid? In the end as long as it gets sealed properly some minor scratches on the cover shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Riz98

• PBR ASAP
    • 2002 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #1031 on: March 01, 2016, 11:04:16 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what would be the easiest way to go about doing it if you are worried about marring the metal. Gently tapping a straight slot screw driver straight in with a rubber mallet has always worked well for me. Make sure the screwdriver is more over towards the diff cover so the lions share of the existing RTV is still on the diff and keep the angle straight. If something does get scratched up in the process I'd rather it be the cover. If you have a stock cover now might be a good time to upgrade to something more solid? In the end as long as it gets sealed properly some minor scratches on the cover shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yeah I will try and use a screw driver and mallet like you suggested.  I'll probably hang onto the current diff cover as a quick search shows that it is well built and thick.  http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/149/CRANE-Dana-44-Diff-Cover.aspx    It would be nice though to have a drain plug.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #1032 on: March 01, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
putty knife and a mallet.  work around the flange with the putty knife, much better than a screw driver and less likely to gouge the flange.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

« Reply #1033 on: March 02, 2016, 12:42:42 AM »
Yeah I will try and use a screw driver and mallet like you suggested.  I'll probably hang onto the current diff cover as a quick search shows that it is well built and thick.  http://www.wideopendesign.com/Product/149/CRANE-Dana-44-Diff-Cover.aspx    It would be nice though to have a drain plug.

Ouch, that's one expensive diff cover ($299)..... If you need a drain plug as long as you are careful you can always drill your own hole into it then tap it and you will be good to go. It's not too hard just take your time and make sure you get it drilled in the spot you want it. I have drain plugs but don't mind pulling the cover off either as it's a good way to take a look at the gears for developing carnage.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #1034 on: March 02, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Like Jordan said....
   You can also add insurance by using plastic putty knives like these

www.amazon.com/dp/B0027BBHGG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-T21wb9Y2CC1N

Wedge it in there then go to town with a mallet or hammer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:42:09 PM by Toro »