Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Question re mounting GPS on or near dash  (Read 3703 times)

FrankB

Question re mounting GPS on or near dash
« on: March 23, 2018, 11:41:39 PM »
I'm trying to think of ways to mount a Garmin GPSMap 64st where I can see it while driving.

On my old Xterra I had a similar device (60CSx) mounted in a Garmin-brand mount to a Garmin-brand quick release mounting assembly thingy that was stuck with permanent adhesive to the flat little tray that is in the dash on top of the radio.  That worked well, except that I could not get the thing unstuck from the dash when I traded it in.  Also, even if I could find that part, the the little tray area is not flat but pebble surfaced on my new 2014 X.

RAM makes a 2.5" round plate that had lots of screw holes in it that I could probably bolt the tray, but I don't know what the underside of the tray is like, and if it's flat so that I use washers or something to spread out the load across the plastic.  Does anyone know what's under there, or how easy it is to get that tray out and put back without buggering up the front of the dash?  I don't see any other flat spots on the front or top of the dash to bolt the 2.5" round plate to, and I don't want to take the dash apart anyway.  The whole assembly will be too heavy to just use screws into the plastic.  It may work on-road, but once things start bumping and bouncing it will come loose.

Another idea I had was to find a RAM clamp of some sort that would attach to the driver's side grab handle.  That means having the power cable running across the top of the steering wheel, which is okay; but is also means that the spoken feature of turn-by-turn directions won't work, since Heather won't be able to see the device from that distance.

I would like to have it somewhere close to where the antenna can "see" out the windshield.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Also, any comments or thoughts on how well RAM mounts work, as I am leaning in the direction finding some sort of solution from them.

Thanks in advance.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Question re mounting GPS on or near dash
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
I use a RAM-mount on that tray to hold a Kindle Fire 7.  It works fine.  I will try to get some pictures later today.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »
I use a RAM mount that's mounted just below my emergency flasher button. It's out of my direct line of sight, but still good enough to take glances at when driving.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
I have a ram mount that is mounted to the tray like you mentioned doing, the tray just pops out with no screws and is flat underneath.   I added a 9" tablet mount so I actually added a stud to the center stack that comes up through the ram mount to not allow the panel to pop out on bumpy roads
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

KickinTires

• 4wd Pts: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
Frank,  If you want to mount it to the driver's side grab handle you can do what I did for my ScanGuage; buy a really cheap bicycle reflector that is designed to mount to the seat-post.  Pry the red lens off of the reflector and JP-Weld this to the backside of standard mount for your GPS device.  This can then be fastened to the grab handle and the power cable can be tucked in down along the door Wx seal to the bottom of the dash and to a power source.   Does your GPS device have any audio out or can it be paired via bluetooth into your audio system?  This is what I did with my ScanGuage and the real nice thing is that it is close enough to reach buttons from the steering wheel but it's not in the way.  This puts the antenna right by windshield and drivers window.  This won't address the issue that Heather needs to see/hear, but it does put it right in the drivers face...
Mark

Club Frontier Member "KickinTires"

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
This is what Jordan and I came up with for my Garmin and Ham radio face.
Small piece of aluminum flat stock, holes and some washers. 

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/911/22Lvve.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/909/OTjzbT.jpg

Power for the Garmin is tapped off of the 'key powered' cig lighter circuit. 
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/903/oHlt2q.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/633/iEdU2C.jpg

I have a ram mount that is mounted to the tray like you mentioned doing, the tray just pops out with no screws and is flat underneath.   I added a 9" tablet mount so I actually added a stud to the center stack that comes up through the ram mount to not allow the panel to pop out on bumpy roads

I need to do this.  I've had my top tray pop out while doing some spirited off road driving.

I bought a junkyard top tray from a guy on TNX that pulls parts just in case we screwed it up.
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
Frank,  If you want to mount it to the driver's side grab handle you can do what I did for my ScanGuage; buy a really cheap bicycle reflector that is designed to mount to the seat-post.  Pry the red lens off of the reflector and JP-Weld this to the backside of standard mount for your GPS device.  This can then be fastened to the grab handle and the power cable can be tucked in down along the door Wx seal to the bottom of the dash and to a power source.   Does your GPS device have any audio out or can it be paired via bluetooth into your audio system?  This is what I did with my ScanGuage and the real nice thing is that it is close enough to reach buttons from the steering wheel but it's not in the way.  This puts the antenna right by windshield and drivers window.  This won't address the issue that Heather needs to see/hear, but it does put it right in the drivers face...

"This won't address the issue that Heather needs to see/hear, but it does put it right in the drivers face..."

With the GPSMap series (I've had an older one for years) it can do turn-by-turn directions by adding the City Navigator maps, but it only buzzes at you as the prompt look at it to see what to do.  They don't have speakers or any audio.  When we went on long trips with it, Heather would read the prompts to me, hence her need to see it.  When I finally joined the modern age and bought a GPS designed for automotive navigation it was weird at first hearing someone else's voice.

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Thanks for responses everyone.  This has been helpful.

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
Any suggestions on where to get the RAM products?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:34:57 AM »
Any suggestions on where to get the RAM products?

Ummm, The RAM Store, Gesh.....
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 10:12:37 AM »
http://www.gpscity.com or amazon.com have a pretty good selection of ram products.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
I've ordered all of my RAM products from GPS City. In addition to their direct website, they also have both an eBay store with free shipping, and an Amazon store (with Prime) if you prefer either of those options.