Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Suggested order to perform mods?  (Read 15907 times)

occupantX

• 4wd Pts: 65535
Suggested order to perform mods?
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
Based on experience, what to you guys suggest is best order: add weight with skids/sliders/bumpers, then lift?  Or lift first?

I feel like adding protection first, but then what would happen to mount points when lifting later? If not moved it would lead to space between body and sliders/bumpers right?

To avoid daily commute issues (vibration and alignment seems to be possible side-effects) I'm leaning towards 1-1.5" SL and 2" BL.

Any suggestions?
The non-club non-member formerly known as sdcaKLR, 'cause you know..bananas

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Suggested order to perform mods?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Kind of depends on your intended use.  Lots of room here for interpretation.

Main things you need are traction and protection.  From there, you start splitting hairs between what you'll need and what you want.

If you're just going to explore, then you'll be better off spending money on gas and tasty beverages than a lift.  But if you want a lift, than that is a valid reason for the lift.  But you don't need it.

Good tires and armor are always a good start.  A rear locker is a great thing; expensive, but it makes a great difference.

Lifts, meh.  I went tons of places with just a PML and 32" tires.  I've since moved on, but that was a want, not necessarily a need.  Now if you want to go on trails just to clear the trail, then maybe skip modding IFS, put in a solid axle with tires to match and have at it.  But then again, the X will never be a jeep, so build accordingly. Just remember that only taller tires give you true clearance.  A BL will give you clearance for tires, but not increase suspension capability.  An SL will change your suspension either for better or worse.  Key point -- for wheeling, you want suspension, not a lift kit.

If you're set on a BL, then that will affect your choices on a few things, but not on the underside skidplates.  You don't need front or rear bumpers to go enjoy yourself.  Again, if you want them, then that's valid too, but you won't necessarily enjoy the scenery any more because you have a bumper.

As far as commute issues, building it right and maintaining it takes care of that. I've got a suspension I cobbled together with 33 inch tires; it rides smooth and I can drive it to Colorado right now if I want and enjoy it as a daily diver.  If you bubba it together, you'll have problems.

Hope this helps.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
. . .   If you bubba it together, you'll have problems. . .

One of the best bits of advice ever with respect to mods.

Now to your question, Hennie. Since you have a Gen2 Xterra (2005 or newer) I don't think that there is really an inexpensive way to get a suspension lift that you will actually be happy with off road. As Bobby said, it really depends on your intended use.

You've seen my truck. It's an S model (i.e. no rear e-locker). I have an early version of what PRG now calls his Advanced Lift. It has been great. New upper control arms and coil-overs in the front, and 2 extra leafs in the rear (and took out the factory overload spring from the rear leaf pack). Removed the rear sway bar (do not remove the front), and the rear shocks are from the OR model (thanks Sturndog). I have about 1.5" to 2" or so of lift, no more bottoming out in the rear when loaded with gear, and lots more travel in the front. I'm running stock OR size (same as yours) tires, but BFG AT K/O, load range D.  This set up runs great on the road, including being very well behaved on windy mountain roads and on very long trips. By the way, I did that lift more for increasing the carrying capacity of the suspension than anything else. I don't care at all about looks, it's function that matters, and the X bottomed out too easily with any amount of gear or people on board, long before the extra armor went on.

As for where to start - you have decent tires in the BFG Rugged Trails. BFG AT K/O's are better yet, but I don't think you can get them in D load range any more. Tires can make a huge difference.

I have full skids and sliders. They do add a lot of weight. Depending your intentions, maybe just the sliders to start, then add other skids as needed after beefing up the suspension. As for bumpers, I think you'll want upgraded suspension before adding that extra weight, especially in the front, and even more so if you add a winch with steel cable.

Unless you really have a need for much bigger tires, I don't see the point of a body lift. Just my opinion, others might disagree.

For a lot of folks modding a truck is a hobby in itself, and the process never actually seems to end.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:08:59 AM by FrankB »

Brian (#2)

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:42 PM »
Hennie, I say it all depends on what kind of vehicle you want to run.  Is this going to be your daily driver/expedition vehicle, an off-road only vehicle that you will end up towing to the trail, or something in between?

My truck is my daily driver/expedition vehicle.  It has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go in stock form.  But I do have a few lessons learned:  I scraped the bottom lip on the rocker panel, and then got sliders.  I got high centered on my stock skid, and then got better skid plates.  

I'm not sure if that is the best way to approach things but I'm just seeing what the truck and my driving capabilities are and then making an adjustment.  I'm getting tires next mainly because the OEM tires are getting worn and I would like something more aggressive.  I am also considering a suspension lift, but not until the extended warranty has expired.  I might get a rear tire carrier down the road after the suspension lift, but I doubt I'll ever get a front bumper.

My recommendation would be sliders, skids, tires, suspension lift, and bumpers in that order and not at the same time.  From what I know, if you plan on running OEM size and up to some 33" tires then a BL is not required.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:56:46 PM by Brian (#2) »

guywithpups

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »
My very first mods focused on sliders and communication (CB/Ham).  I'm glad I did, the sliders have been a get out trouble free card several times (and they have the scars to prove it :P )  After that, one piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned yet is don't get too far into lifting the truck if you haven't yet gotten the feel for how it drives off road with the stock suspension.  See how it does on the places you want it to go -- then decide what you want to add to make it better in those places.  For me, that meant doing enough of a suspension lift that I can keep up with my crazy Tacoma buddies when we're out in Death Valley. 8) But YMMV, so what lift works best will depend on how you want to use the truck.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:46:13 AM »
If you're wheeling with the club this should be our first mod.

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

My work is done.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
Oh, there it is.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

occupantX

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »

Thank you all for your comments!

What I get from this: don't do anything unless needed.  So far I'm amazed and impressed by the stock performance, it's my first 4x4 and I've been places I've never been in the Civic.

Main things you need are traction and protection
Thank you, I agree and will focus on those first.

For a lot of folks modding a truck is a hobby in itself, and the process never actually seems to end.
Sounds like a hobby that could interfere with my plans for regular excursions and weekend trips, will try not to fall into that trap.
I was comparing your truck to mine, and like the more aggressive look of the lift kit.

My truck is my daily driver/expedition vehicle. 
I'm not sure if that is the best way to approach things but I'm just seeing what the truck and my driving capabilities are and then making an adjustment.
My recommendation would be sliders, skids, tires, suspension lift, and bumpers in that order and not at the same time.
Great advise thanks Brian.  Will be my rainy day commute (I use the KLR otherwise, don't like to get we unnecessary) and for weekend trips.  And I would like to protect my investment while also waiting for warranty to expire, so sliders with stock skids for now seems to be the answer.

@Soylent Yellow : I have 2 of those (one for mini-me, don't want wifey to always know what he's thinking about), will try
them on the next excursion...

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
I agree with almost everythng other memebrs have posted. But I think the single most important mod os the beenie cap like mitch suggested. No serioulsy I feel this is the tires.  Then as Brain 2 pointed out MOD as you find an reason to . Most of us Mod for a reason. Unlke the typical SoCal truck in which will have 6grand in suspension and never see dirt? I cant emphasise the importance of what  Bobby pointed out. If you going to do something do it right. Your life can depend on it.
especially while crossing cattle guards

I was looking at some KLR Dual Sports. Dont think the wife will buy off.  Also,   Hennie , I also told you something wrong. We were talking about sway bars a couple of weekends ago. You said rear I was thinking front. I ran since day one in this club without an rear sway. yeah I could feel it . It would be wish washy on the freeway dodging the BMW's. The front on the other hand is an death trap to remove for road use.  For the rear is you dont like the dancing I know Calmini had a quick disconnect for gen 1 , they might have one for the rear on the gen 2

occupantX

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
Thanks Chris, the KLR is a really solid yet simple to maintain bike, and I get up to 52miles/gallon riding it as if a cruizer...I've been on dirt roads more times with my 5 month old station wagon than with my 3 year old bike (if this was a KLR club I'd be ashamed, but since it isn't...)

Thank you for clarifying the sway bar issue, I was wondering about that when reading Frank's reply.  Removing this will provide better articulation?

I need to do some mod, otherwise how will I transition from station wagon to rig?

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Thanks Chris, the KLR is a really solid yet simple to maintain bike, and I get up to 52miles/gallon riding it as if a cruizer...I've been on dirt roads more times with my 5 month old station wagon than with my 3 year old bike (if this was a KLR club I'd be ashamed, but since it isn't...)

Thank you for clarifying the sway bar issue, I was wondering about that when reading Frank's reply.  Removing this will provide better articulation?

I need to do some mod, otherwise how will I transition from station wagon to rig?

For traction I would like to say tires.  I am not going to say what kind since this is a huge debatable item and I dont want things to go to blows over what tires one thinks is good. Although you will get good droop with the sway bar on, but removed it will be insane. Like I was telling the guy with the rancho shocks.  When you take the sway off, there is not much stopping the shocks from maxing out. I was bought several new shocks since the tire dealer didn't want to listen to me . 

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
. . . I need to do some mod, otherwise how will I transition from station wagon to rig?

I think you may have already made the transition actually.

A couple more comments:

- Rear sway bar: I took mine off at the same time that the lift went on. With the stiffer springs in the front and rear to me it handles better now than stock, even without the rear sway bar.

- Warranty: I've had some warranty work done on mine, and having the lift and armor was never an issue. I even have all of the servicing done at the dealership, they actually do a pretty good job. I was funny though the first time I took in for an oil change after putting the skids on. As soon as it went up on the lift all of the service staff had to gather around to look.

- Other things: A lot of people seem to focus on the expensive mods, then show up at runs without simple things like recovery gear or an air compressor. I would suggest that at the start some money is better spent on a compressor, shovel, tow strap, rear hitch shackle (if you have a hitch), a box full of emergency supplies, etc.  Also, if someone were to ask me what the 2 best things I've done to the X were, in terms of usefulness, I would say it would be the Weathertech vent shades for the windows and the Raingler large ceiling net to hold clothes and sleeping sacks etc that live in the truck permanently. I've gotten more value and use from those 2 things than anything else.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Also, if someone were to ask me what the 2 best things I've done to the X were, in terms of usefulness, I would say it would be the Weathertech vent shades for the windows and the Raingler large ceiling net to hold clothes and sleeping sacks etc that live in the truck permanently. I've gotten more value and use from those 2 things than anything else.

You must be a lot more careful than I am.  I would say my two most useful items are the neoprene seat covers and the rubber floor mats.  I would hate to see what my OEM seats and carpet would look like if I didn't have them covered.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
I did mine in order of:

Sliders (door skins are expensive)
Skids: Transmission, Diff, and Gas Tank
Lift: 2.5 suspension lift (body lift is for looks as the suspension is the lowest part)
Front bumper/front skid/winch
Rear bumper
Front suspension lift II (blew one of the struts)

Each of these I did carefully after talking with other members of the club and looking at their trucks.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
You must be a lot more careful than I am.  I would say my two most useful items are the neoprene seat covers and the rubber floor mats.  I would hate to see what my OEM seats and carpet would look like if I didn't have them covered.

But I don't have a 138 lb. dog in the back of mine.  Heck, I can remember when I weighed less than that.

Actually, the rubber floor mats are also very much a good value, and well worth having.