Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Make your bed! (M̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ car camping (plus other stuff album))  (Read 16559 times)

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
Re: Make your bed! (my first attempt at car camping)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
seats have to go almost all the way forward for the action packers to work. but the gain in space is substantial. I trimmed the foam around the wheel wells but did not cut for the center console. I have not had any issue with this decision thus far. I was more worried about rolling over from one side and smacking my face agains the console than just leaving it. plus we sleep two in my x, me and my fiancé so that helps maximize the sq footage.

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »
seats have to go almost all the way forward for the action packers to work. but the gain in space is substantial. I trimmed the foam around the wheel wells but did not cut for the center console. I have not had any issue with this decision thus far. I was more worried about rolling over from one side and smacking my face agains the console than just leaving it. plus we sleep two in my x, me and my fiancé so that helps maximize the sq footage.

Thanks!  I am 6'3", so sleeping comfortably in the back has been a challenge, to say the least, but I make it happen.  What size are the packers?

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
heres a picture from thenewx for reference.  2  8 Gallon action packers and 2 cases of mobil 1 :D

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/surfandsnow71113/Xterra/P6080135.jpg
Make your bed! (M̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ car camping (plus other stuff album))
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
heres a picture from thenewx for reference.  2  8 Gallon action packers and 2 cases of mobil 1 :D

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/surfandsnow71113/Xterra/P6080135.jpg
Make your bed! (M̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ car camping (plus other stuff album))

Excellent, thank you very much!

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
I noticed you have the bottoms of the rear seat removed.  Are you able to scoot the front seats all the way back with the packers in there?
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

CVXTERRA

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
if the top of the rear seats are down and action packers are in place then the seats need to be moved pretty far forward. almost all the way

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 06:47:57 PM »
the seat bottoms need to be removed to extend the sleeping platform, easily done by lifting the 2 red latches on each side, i normally would put the removed seat bottoms into the front seat or leave them at home.   I think my seat bottoms have spent more time in my garage than the xterra.
Jordan - K6XTE

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
Makes sense now, you don't keep them down there while driving, but you move them to sleep. Did I get that right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long

CVXTERRA

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
correct! while driving I put the seats up and move the packers .

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
correct! while driving I put the seats up and move the packers .
I guess I should've gone back and looked at the pics at the beginning of the thread again. Ha-ha

R. Long

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 12:05:24 AM »
You could leave the action packers behind the seat but you would have to be about 4' to drive in that position haha.  Most normal size people have to remove the action packers from the floor to slide the seat back to a normal position.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »
You could leave the action packers behind the seat but you would have to be about 4' to drive in that position haha.  Most normal size people have to remove the action packers from the floor to slide the seat back to a normal position.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing
That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

R. Long

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
That's how we roll ..Remove babyseat lol, remove seat bottoms, move seats forward, put action packers in,  blow up mattress, blanket on mattress and sleeping bags,
it fits me ,my girlfriend and our 3 year old son comfortably
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

FrankB

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
The Action Packer thing does work really well, I've been using that for quite a few years now.  I leave the rear seat bottoms at home if I know I'm camping. 

Another thing that I've found to be really helpful for sleeping the the X is to have vent shades on the windows.  I like the WeatherTech brand, but there are other brands as well.  You can keep the windows cracked a bit for fresh air without a lot of wind or bugs or rain getting in. 

I've never tried one, but I hear that some of the 12V electric blankets work well.

The Raingler interior ceiling net is a lot easier on your head if you sit up quickly in the night compared to those hard wire steel shelves I see some people using.

I've found it helpful to replace the interior dome lights in the center and back with red LEDs.  You don't lose your night vision or end up in a fishbowl if you have turn on the light in the night.  For white interior lights I found some little battery operated ones from Black Diamond that will run on lithium AAA batteries.  While the lithium batteries are way more expensive than alkaline they won't leak and destroy the light.  I have a couple of those hanging from the ceiling net.

CVXTERRA

Well I was going to make a whole new post for this but decided I'd just modify my title and add to what I have going.

Best friends birthday overnight and some shooting. Some great shots (see what i did there ;)) of the X and the gear as well as my new awning and room combo, which worked better than I could have expected. Very happy with the route I went.

anyway, here are some pics