Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Need help... Camping in SD county area?  (Read 10683 times)

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
Need help... Camping in SD county area?
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:00:58 AM »
A few buddies and I are supposed to be going camping Friday and Saturday.  I just found out that the guy put the trip together doesn't know much about camping and hasn't been able to find any places down there. 

Any suggestions on camping locations?  I'm hoping to find something fairly primitive and away from people.

I'm trying to figure out something witty.

FrankB

Re: Need help... Camping in SD county area?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »
It's a pretty big county, what did you have in mind: desert?  mountains?  beach?

Desert: Anza Borrego has some great spots.

Mountains: Cleveland National Forest has lots of variety. There are some campgrounds off of Hwy 79 around Oak Grove and Dripping Springs. Further south (really more like east) on 79 just before Warner Springs there is Barker Valley (if the road is open) and the Pacific Crest Trail passes near by as well. I've backpacked up in there. Lots of oak trees.

Beach: Probably nothing primitive, but there places like South Carlsbad are nice.

Are you thinking of car camping or backpacking?

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
Looking for something primitive in the mountains.  We'll be car camping. 

Anything off the 8 that's good?  or do I need to go to the 79?

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27:13 PM »
You might want to check the Cleveland NF website.  I'm not sure what the current rules are about camping outside of established campgrounds.

There are some campgrounds at Corral Canyon OHV Area that might be good, if they are back open after the fire a couple of years ago.  That's south of I-8 at Buckman Springs Road.

You may find more options off of Hwy 79.  If Palomar Divide Road (unpaved, rutted, one-lane shelf in places) is open, there are some spots off of it that looked like they would make nice campsites, if that's allowed.

Sorry for the lack of details, maybe someone who actually knows of a spot will chime in here too.

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
Plenty of camping spots from 8 East then exit Sunrise Highway to Mount Laguna. A favorite of mine is Burnt Rancheria... close enough to the lodge, cabins and store in case you need supplies. Hking trails are adjacent and the views overlooking Anza and Salton Sea are phenomenal! Drive a few more miles and you'll see more campgrounds.

In CA-79, there's Green Valley, Paso Picacho, or if you're a Thousand Trails member, there's one next to Green Valley. Hiking trails are nearby and you have a choice between Stonewall Peak or Cuyamaca Peak to explore. Down the road, Lake Cuyamaca can be seen and there's a cafe, fishing supplies, boat rentals, cabins and very limited campground area which I really like. Waking up during sunrise overlooking the lake is quite a sight!

Primitive? Perhaps around Lake Morena (a bit more east). If you have a kayak, you can kayak camp.

I've been to quite a few campgrounds in and around SD so if you need more suggestions, just let me know.

Hope this helps!
Fred
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:40:26 AM by XtrerracerX »
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
 Oneway, I know this is a bit off topic but do you remember in the double X spotting thread of yours I said I was picking up a vacuum at sears for the ole lady. Well when my brother heard this he sent me this ...
http://bewareofthedoghouse.com/video.aspx     We laughed our asses off. Check it out.
But he said it was stock friendly!!

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »
That's an awesome video!!!