Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego/ Ocotilo Wells info  (Read 4426 times)

tripng

• 4wd Pts: 0
Anza Borrego/ Ocotilo Wells info
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
How's it going guys. Can anybody tell me of any good spots to go camping in Anza Borrego. I'm trying to head out there later this month but not to sure of where to go camping or even where the off road trails are at.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:52:58 PM by tripng »

FrankB

Re: Anza Borrego/ Ocotilo Wells info
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
How's it going guys. Can anybody tell me of any good spots to go camping in Anza Borrego. I'm trying to head out there later this month but not to sure of where to go camping or even where the off road trails are at.

Thanks

Considering how much collective knowledge of Anza Borrego there is in the club, I'm surprised no one has responded yet.  Maybe because it's in the Off-Topic section.

In any event, there are lots of spots in Anza Borrego Desert State Park to camp.  In fact, you can open camp anywhere in the park, just pull off the trail and find a spot.  Check the State Park website for detailed rules, there are few important ones.  A big and very important rule is that fires must be in a metal container.  No ground fires.

There are also a few established campgrounds, with varying levels of facilities.  Again, the State Park website can help.

Do a search on SCCX for a lot of info on Anza Borrego.  If you want to see what some of the places look like in advance, you can check out the Pictures section.  Also go back through the old Xcursions section, there are a lot of Anza Borrego trips, both day and overnight, in there.  I suggest starting with the oldest first.

If you have any questions about specific areas just ask.  The general discussion section is probably better than the Off-Topic section.

tripng

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the info,
I did start looking at the state website and was pretty surprise that you can pretty much camp anywhere.
Now I just got to find some good trails to hit.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
If you like being in a camp site, check out Vallecito.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »
 There is some useful information here for you: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Anza-Borrego_Desert_State_Park  Much of it you just need to get down there and start exploring. If you are inside the park any trail you see just turn off and start exploring. The trails are well marked with state signs. Stop by the Ranger station in Ocotillo Wells and you can get free trail maps. They aren't the greatest but they are adequate. Bring lots of water and food along with basic things like blankets in case you get momentarily hung up as the temperatures go from extremely hot to below freezing at times. If you are going to camp it's good to bring your own wood as you won't find much out there. As someone else mentioned all fires need to be in a metal container. Some of the rangers can be pretty "special" but I think it's largely due to the amounts of people they get down there. Check out Fish Creek wash, you won't regret that one with the fantastic views and hiking trail up to the wind caves. That area is one of my favorite places to camp. If you have a capable vehicle the Calcite Mine is another really fun run with spectacular views. Go over into Truckhaven and check out some of that action after the mine. After a couple trips you will be well acquainted with the area and will start figuring out where your favorite spots to go are. There are plenty of us who go down there on a regular basis but like me, I think everyone is waiting for it to cool off to acceptable temperatures for the winter season to start.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:48:43 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
Depending on what you're driving (you didn't say) - I would suggest checking out Fish Creek Wash, which starts at the end of Split Mountain Road just south of Ocotillo Wells.  The Buttes Pass area (a little west of Ocotillo Wells, on the north side of Hwy 78) is also really nice.  If you can't wait for it too cool down your best bet is the higher elevation areas at Blair Valley.

The AAA (Auto Club) San Diego Region map is handy, and actually shows many of the trails.  There are also several good guidebooks that cover the area.  Check out the Xcursion Requirements thread, I think we have many listed in there.

If you spot something in a guidebook or in a thread here that you're curious about, just ask.

tripng

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
Cool thanks guys,
Really Appreciate the info. It's probably going to be 3 jeeps and 2 OR Xteras. Looking for some mild to hard trails.  I know it's still going to be a little warm, but it will be the last off road trip for one of our buddy's before he has to deploy.

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
Cool thanks guys,
Really Appreciate the info. It's probably going to be 3 jeeps and 2 OR Xteras. Looking for some mild to hard trails.  I know it's still going to be a little warm, but it will be the last off road trip for one of our buddy's before he has to deploy.

You might want to check out Coyote Canyon (the lower part, accessed from north of Borrego Springs), there is a nice area to camp at the top of the Rocky Hill of Doom.  I think it's called Sheep Camp or something like that.

Blair Valley would be cooler, but that is all very easy trail that can be done in 2WD.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »
Unfortunately the rangers turned the rocky hill of doom into a uneven semi bumpy dirt road with their road graders last year. But the campground back there is really nice when there is water flowing.
Isaiah 6:8