Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: AAT Meeting  (Read 10337 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
AAT Meeting
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
 Next AAT meeting is Wednesday February 21st at the Corona Sizzler. Dinner is 6-7 and the meeting is 7-9. Anyone is welcome to go.
Isaiah 6:8

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
Re: AAT Meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
I went to the meeting. No Other SCCX members were there.  :o

It seems like interest in helping the forest among SCCX has fizzled or one reason or another.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:36:14 PM »
Sorry Steveo, our guys are very much into helping clean up and keeping the trails open.  I have the plaque to prove it.
Going to a meeting two counties away in hellish traffic, not so much.
The last time I went to a meeting there, they cancelled it at the last minute and I wasted two and a half hours on the freeway. 
I'm sure that if you posted that you were going, it may have started the ball rolling, we miss seeing you on the runs.
Hope to see you again soon.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
I want to attend at least one so I can see whats it all about. Im just so new to this that I have no idea on what to expect.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
I work 10-8 Wednesdays in San Diego ,
Corona is a little bit of a Trek
Set up a weekend  trail clean up and watch them Show up
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

SteeevO

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
This is more then just cleaning a trail. These AAT meeting talk about a lot of things that are going on in the forest.
There is a lot of opportunity there from ham radio classes, AAT BBQ's and special events, dozer operator training, and much more.
They also share lots of information regarding closed trails, whats opening, as well as insight on lesser known places to check out.

I highly recommend going to these meetings for those that can make it.

I know SCCX has a plaque, but looking at the forum here, there hasn't been any AAT runs in over  a year. Even something simple like planning an AAT specific run to run the trail and check it out would be a good thing to do. But ultimately there should be someone to head up the AAT effort as the main contact by the forest service.
If someone doesn't take on this role, then the AAT trail should probably be turned back to the forest service for someone else to take care of.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:46:11 PM by SteeevO »

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I will be up there the weekend of the 10th anyone want to run the trail and do some clean up?

Celt

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
This is more then just cleaning a trail. These AAT meeting talk about a lot of things that are going on in the forest.
There is a lot of opportunity there from ham radio classes, AAT BBQ's and special events, dozer operator training, and much more.
They also share lots of information regarding closed trails, whats opening, as well as insight on lesser known places to check out.

I highly recommend going to these meetings for those that can make it.

I know SCCX has a plaque, but looking at the forum here, there hasn't been any AAT runs in over  a year. Even something simple like planning an AAT specific run to run the trail and check it out would be a good thing to do. But ultimately there should be someone to head up the AAT effort as the main contact by the forest service.
If someone doesn't take on this role, then the AAT trail should probably be turned back to the forest service for someone else to take care of.

Steve, I've had the AAT since Terry stopped doing it. I do my best to attend the meetings but with working shifts it gets difficult at best especially since it takes me about two hours to get there which is the difficulty for many of us as the largest membership seems to be within the San Diego area. The forest service has my name and phone number and I do call and check in the with Rangers. I'm on the private AAT site to pass along what I learn from them. When I post that information it's up to the guys here what they want to do with it and if they can do anything with it. It may be a little easier for a registered off road club that has dues and bylaws etc but in the end we are a very small internet forum with no dues paid or membership requirements. It's difficult to get a lot of participation for the AAT trips as people just aren't able to make it. Many times I am not able to have any weekends off for four or more months off and have a family in between that I'm trying to be here for. I think a lot of people on this forum really care and will help out whenever or wherever they can. If you have some suggestions that I can do to better benefit the Forest Service AAT program you know how to get in touch with me and I'm all ears as well as being open to constructive criticism you may have.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:46:28 PM by Celt »

SteeevO

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »
Eric,
I understand you are far away and a very busy person. Having someone take this off of your plate might be something to consider.
I don't believe that being a club with dues and bylaws would change anything. I think someone that can attend the meetings without being severely inconvenienced should probably lead the AAT effort.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
After speaking with Eric and my  fam, I will like to take the position of being the SCCX representative and attend these meetings. Corona is only a 20-30min drive for me,which I have no issue with. Steven, if you want to, we can get together prior so we both can go and represent.

Celt

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
Eric,
I understand you are far away and a very busy person. Having someone take this off of your plate might be something to consider.
I don't believe that being a club with dues and bylaws would change anything. I think someone that can attend the meetings without being severely inconvenienced should probably lead the AAT effort.

If you like I will take your suggestion and let you take over 2N02 for SCCX. If you wish you can meet up with us down here for our food truck Thursday and I can fill you in on what's needed and the others can chime in on the direction the club wishes to go in with this project. We generally meet the third Thursday of every month at about 1700 to 2000. I'll be the first to admit I haven't been able to attend lately because of work commitments however I digress. If you have some spare time post up a run or two you are leading and we can sit around a fire to discuss any ideas on how to best take this in your direction. You can always join in on any of the regular runs posted up and round table some ideas to improve this program and I'm sure it will greatly benefit AAT. I've always been a firm believer in if you can improve on something by all means do so with a solution and it seems like you are willing to improve upon that if you wish to take this on and you will have my full support!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:22:31 AM by Celt »

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
Thanks for stepping up Edwin.  It's folks like you who keep this not-a-club going.

Good job Spencer, can you re-post your trip in a new thread under Excursions?  We might get more traffic that way, thanks.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

SteeevO

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
  If you like I will take your suggestion and let you take over 2N02 for SCCX. If you wish you can meet up with us down here for our food truck Thursday and I can fill you in on what's needed and the others can chime in on the direction the club wishes to go in with this project. We generally meet the third Thursday of every month at about 1700 to 2000. I'll be the first to admit I haven't been able to attend lately because of work commitments however I digress. If you have some spare time post up a run or two you are leading and we can sit around a fire to discuss any ideas on how to best take this in your direction. You can always join in on any of the regular runs posted up and round table some ideas to improve this program and I'm sure it will greatly benefit AAT. I've always been a firm believer in if you can improve on something by all means do so with a solution and it seems like you are willing to improve upon that if you wish to take this on and you will have my full support!

Eric,
Although I know a bit about the AAT program, I don't feel like i'm the right person for the job or I would have volunteered to take this off of your plate. I had just seen an opportunity for a positive change to the AAT effort here and brought it to light. I don't think a campfire talk about the direction of AAT is necessary as the direction is dictated by the forest service. It's not up to us to improve the program, It's it's a forest service run program and it's our decision to be part of it. It's a pretty simple program to be part of with lots of good people that I think we can all learn from.

After speaking with Eric and my  fam, I will like to take the position of being the SCCX representative and attend these meetings. Corona is only a 20-30min drive for me,which I have no issue with. Steven, if you want to, we can get together prior so we both can go and represent.

Excellent! Thats awesome Edwin. I don't have a problem going to the meetings.  I've been away from this program for quite some time but would like to get involved here and there.
I don't know how much Eric filled you in on this, but you're going to want to get added to the e-mail list to stay in the loop with Greg Hoffman. You'll occasionally get e-mails regarding trail issues, dates for AAT special events & BBQ's, Meeting schedules etc.
There are quite a few perks to this program as well that I don't think SCCX has ever tapped into. Overall it's a great program with lots of opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:16:39 AM by SteeevO »

Celt

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
Eric,
Although I know a bit about the AAT program, I don't feel like i'm the right person for the job or I would have volunteered to take this off of your plate. I had just seen an opportunity for a positive change to the AAT effort here and brought it to light.

It's a pretty simple program to be part of with lots of good people that I think we can all learn from.

I've been away from this program for quite some time but would like to get involved here and there.

So you are essentially being The Good Idea Fairy here.

SteeevO

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
I just brought, what I thought was an issue, to light. If it wasn't an issue then we wouldn't still be talking about it & no changes would have been made.
I didn't take the reins and volunteer to take it over because I don't want to commit to something and not be able to see it through which I feel is a responsible decision.
However, I did say that I'd like to get involved which is why I went to the meeting in the first place.

It seems that I have rubbed you the wrong way which was not my intention. If that's the case, I apologize. If you would like to talk about this further, we should probably do so off-line. please feel free to call me 909-547-4651.