Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Body lift.  (Read 4778 times)

zzxrox

• 4wd Pts: 0
Body lift.
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and hope someone sees this post in San Diego. I want to do the 2" body lift. I have researched it but I would like to find someone who has done one for a 1st gen to give me some pointers before I do it. I'll buy you a pizza or something.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Body lift.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
i did it to my first gen back in 2011.  pretty easy on the first gen, just buy the pucks and longer bolts, redrill the rear bumper and install 2" square tubing under the mounts for the front bumper and your done.   i got most of my hardware from a place off miramar rd. called marshall's, the only parts i had to get from the internet were the 2" pucks and a couple of the metric bolts that marshall's didnt have. the square tubing i got from IMS metal off of convoy in kearny mesa.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Grizzly

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
This thread will probably get moved to Gen 1 Tech

I did the 2 in body lift and it went pretty smooth. Definitely worth doing. One thing that I ran into that I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere was when I did the lift I chose to remove the bottom fan shroud and let the radiator ride up with the body rather than screwing around with moving it, which is what I think most people do. However I didn't discover this for a couple of weeks but when the body went up the radiator hose put a lot of stress on the rad's top plastic fitting and it snapped off during a trail test causing me to MacGyver it and limp home. I ended up getting a longer top hose from NAPA to fix this and would recommend doing it during the lift not on the trail...

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
This is the guide I used when I did my BL:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2191

It took me about five or six hours to do by myself, but I was going pretty slow, making sure there were no issues anywhere.

Grizzly

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »
Are you using a kit or gathering the parts yourself?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »
I don't have any tools that fit a Gen 1.  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

zzxrox

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
Grizzy, I want to piece it together. I know where to get the pucks and I have seen some good write ups and I have a shop that will let me do it there. I've just never done one and would like to hear about any problems people have had. It seems pretty straight forward though. I'd just like to have a gen1 owner whi has done it ive me some pointers.

zzxrox

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
GeoTaco...why dont I believe you? lol
\

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »
zzxrox, I didn't have a problem with it on my X, but I've seen people having issues with breaking things on the heater core if it's not disconnected properly, so that's one thing.
Make sure you liberally spray all the bolts with PB blaster a couple times a week or so in advance, maybe even trying to break some of them loose and then re-tightening them along the way to make things go faster.
When you work with the steering column, be sure to tighten the steering wheel down snugly so it doesn't move. When you adjust the length of the column along the splines, have enough coverage on the splines on both sides of the universal joint connector.
Unbolt the power steering reservoir before lifting, and keep an eye on the air intake and everything else inside the engine bay during the lift.
If I remember correctly, there is some tubing on the passenger's side of the frame that should be looked out for during the lift as well.
Take out all the bolts on one side (seven per side), and loosen the bolts on the other side. Lift evenly on one side first, get all the pucks in on that side, and hand tighten that side only for now. Then go to the other side, insert the pucks, hand tighten, then fully then bolts in an alternating pattern across both sides of the truck, kind of like a valve cover.
Remove both bumpers before the lift.
Underneath, remove the driveshaft safety loop.
And after everything is done, be sure to recheck the torque on the bolts around 50-100 miles down the road.

It's been a while since I've done the lift, but those should be most of the main points.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:43:04 PM by Alex »