Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Sad day for railroad buffs and desert explorers alike  (Read 3986 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Sad day for railroad buffs and desert explorers alike
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »
A few weeks ago, I made the trek out to southeast Arizona to visit my parents. As I traveled the over-crossing at the old Eagle Mountain Railroad tracks west of Desert Center, I immediately noticed huge piles of railroad ties stacked along the clearing for the tracks as far to the north as I could see. On the way home, I took a closer look and it was very clear that the tracks had been removed, and the ties are stacked in preparation to be hauled away by trucks. :(

For those who don't know, the Eagle Mountain Railroad line runs (ran?) between the Union Pacific line and old Kaiser Steel Mine at Eagle Mountain. The line originates along the east short of the Salton Sea in a small area known as "Ferrum", about halfway between Bombay Beach and Mecca. From there, the line travels northeast through the desert, almost 52 miles, before terminating at the old town of Eagle Mountain. The line was constructed by and fully owned by Kaiser Steel, and first became operational in 1947. It was used to haul iron ore from the mines to Kaiser's processing facilities in Fontana, CA, and to haul supplies and equipment back to the mine.The mine ceased operation in 1986, and the rail lines went neglected and fell into disarray over the next decade with several sections of track becoming fully washed out by desert storms. In the late 90s / early 2000s, there was an investment group attempting to turn the old Eagle Mountain Mine into a large landfill facility that would accept garbage via rail (via the Eagle Mountain Rail line), but these efforts were eventually halted by lawsuits over environmental concerns. The line continued to be owned (along with all of the land around the Eagle Mountain Mine and the town of Eagle Mountain) by Kaiser Ventures LLC, which was a spin-off of Kaiser Steel to maintain some of their assets after filing for bankruptcy. The company has never really been able to find a viable financial use for the land (always facing massive opposition from the environmentalist community), and has even made efforts to sell the land back to the government to be absorbed into Joshua Tree National Park. Today, the town of Eagle Mountain and the mine site sit vacant, rotting away in the desert climate. The occasional filming of a movie scene brings some action to the site, but the onsite caretaker doesn't allow access for any exploring, due to liability concerns.

Those who have run the Bradshaw Trail will be very familiar with the Eagle Mountain Railroad tracks, as they traverse a large portion of the same canyon as the road. The infamous Eagle Mountain Railroad trestle bridge has been ever popular with offroaders in the area, and even made for a wonderful shaded lunch stop on Jayrat's Bradshaw Trail run earlier this year. Based on what I've researched, it's unclear if the bridge structure is also being removed, or if it will remain in place.

According to some web searching I've done, some railroad enthusiasts bumped into survey crews along the line during March of this year who informed them that the line was being pulled up and scrapped. Some deeper searching has revealed that Kaiser Ventures recently sold its remaining assets and cashed out its stakeholders. The mine site property and the railroad were purchased by a company called Eagle Crest Energy. Eagle Crest is only interested in building a power storage facility at the mine site and didn't need the railroad. The terms of the deal required that they either restore the railroad line to functional status, or scrap and remove the entire line. Not needing the line, they chose the latter.

It was always a bucket list item of mine to travel the full length of the railroad line and explore some of the old remnants, including switching stations, service facilities, old buildings, and even some old railroad cars. I guess I'll never have the chance to do that now. :( Sadly, the history of our area disappears as fast as it was written. I'm going to use this as a lesson to get out there more and explore the things that I want to see, because one day they'll be gone and we'll never have that chance again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:35:23 AM by JFanaselle »

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: Sad day for railroad buffs and desert explorers alike
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:16:23 PM »
Sad day for sure  Joe , Thanks for the write up , I was just reading stuff the other day about the town and mine.
I guess next years Bradshaw Run ,may look different  :'(
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
Yet another monument getting torn down :'(
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
Hopefully it is just the tracks north of the 10?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
Hopefully it is just the tracks north of the 10?

I read that it was all 52 miles worth :(

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
I read that it was all 52 miles worth :(

You are correct...all the way to Ferrum, just east of the Salton Sea.

Hopefully the bridge over Salt Creek Wash will remain...such a cool spot to visit.

Eagle Mountain Railroad Wiki
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »
Here is a virtual tour of what it's future holds

http://www.eaglecrestenergy.com/ece-virtual-tour.html
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
Yeah I saw that too. It's a pretty cool concept. That is just for the mine site though. It's a bummer they had to remove the entire railroad as part of the acquisition. I guess there's just too much liability associated with allowing stuff like to rot away under the desert sun.

FrankB

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
Yeah I saw that too. It's a pretty cool concept. That is just for the mine site though. It's a bummer they had to remove the entire railroad as part of the acquisition. I guess there's just too much liability associated with allowing stuff like to rot away under the desert sun.

That pretty much says it Joe.  You've probably noticed by now that the only people who allow stuff to rot away under the desert sun are those who care not if they get sued, and have nothing to lose.

The pumped energy plan looks interesting; I wonder if it is even close to cost effective.  Might be a good way to balance out the system.  Notice the not-so-subtle digs at solar and wind power buried in there? That said, maybe they should cover the reservoirs with solar panels to help slow down evaporation of the water.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »

"Maybe they should cover the reservoirs with solar panels to help slow down evaporation of the water"

I was thinking just that as it seems they would have to have a constant feed to keep that amount of water topped off. It's pretty interesting technology, kind of like using ocean swells to generate power but seems like a stretch to make any of it cost effective at least right now.
Isaiah 6:8