Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New PhotoBucket Terms  (Read 3806 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
New PhotoBucket Terms
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »
For those of you (like me) that use PhotoBucket to host photos, there is major change in store.  Free accounts will no longer have image linking.  This will affect many threads, so please pay attention to yours.  I'm going to save all of my photos from PB and upload them somewhere else.

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
 Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
 Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
 Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
 Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
 o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Re: New PhotoBucket Terms
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
This happened with my image host, imageshack.us, a couple of years ago.
I had been using that service, free, since about 2007. 
After my initial huffing and puffing about actually having to pay for a service on the internet, I forked over the $17 or whatever it is per year.

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
This happened with my image host, imageshack.us, a couple of years ago.
I had been using that service, free, since about 2007. 
After my initial huffing and puffing about actually having to pay for a service on the internet, I forked over the $17 or whatever it is per year.
The PB plan that will allow hosting is $99 a year...
R. Long

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
lol, wow.

Bye bye how to's.

It's going to have to down to the BODs or Mods to download all the images, re-upload them to the web and then fix all the images.
(if anyone cares enough) 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

beedee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up Rick! Do you know what site you will move on to next for hosting?

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up Rick! Do you know what site you will move on to next for hosting?
I'm either going to imgur or I'll start using my Google Photos account.  There's a way to allow public hosting/viewing of Google Photos, I just need to figure out how it works to get the link.
R. Long

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »
we have unlimited space here...
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
So can someone speak some plain ol' Engrish and say what all this means?
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
it means absolutely nothing to you...

a website that used to host photos for free is now charging for said service.

I have always hated photobuckets website, so terrible and slow
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

FrankB

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »
The PB plan that will allow hosting is $99 a year...

$99/year?  That sounds like a lot of money.  I've not compared, but the SmugMug account I've had for quite a few years runs just over $40/year.  They have really good customer service too, with real people (in California) that you can actually talk to.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 08:34:52 AM »
So can someone speak some plain ol' Engrish and say what all this means?
A lot of forums do not host pictures. (You can not load them to the forum for viewers )
      Photobucket is a popular site that allows users to upload the pictures to thier server, then share (link) the picture to the forum thread. Photobucket is the most popular site for this and they host images all over the internet.
      When they start charging, people wont pay and all the links will be broken. This means MANY images on forums will disappear.
      People wont pay, images will disappear and Photobucket will go the way Viking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
Thanks Toro, I kinda sorta was guessing it might be something similar to that but just wasn't sure given my mad computer skills. I suppose people will just start uploading their pictures directly from their computers or choose another company to use instead of Photobucket. Sounds like all those great photos that have been posted over the years will disappear. This was probably a bad business decision by Photobucket to spring this on everyone. I understand a business needs to make money to exist but sounds like they are making decisions that a very large number of people are pretty upset with.
Isaiah 6:8