Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mojave Rd. (Winter version)  (Read 103798 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Mojave Rd. (Winter version)
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
I know we're still a few months out...but I'm getting really excited!!  I've started to off road a little more, getting more comfortable.  Can't wait to meet new faces in the world of Xterra's! ;D ;D ;D ;D

It should definitely be a really fun run. It won't be technical at all and by design is setup that way. You should be able to do the trip in it's entirety in 2wd other than if there has been lots of rain beforehand. Lot's of great folks going so there is sure to be plenty of laughs at night around the fires. I'm looking forward to meeting you and hope you really have a great time on this run.
Isaiah 6:8

Celt

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
You folks just wouldn't believe the beuocracy involved in getting a permit from this field office. The shenagens continue yet to date..... It will make a great campfire story just bring a pillow and some duct tape because you will want to bang your head against the nearest available rock. I myself am fighting the urge to carving my eyes out with a dull wooden spoon after responding to the latest "special" email 5 minutes ago............

All things being said the trip is still moving forward and will get worked out,,, eventually...

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
You folks just wouldn't believe the beuocracy involved in getting a permit from this field office. The shenagens continue yet to date..... It will make a great campfire story just bring a pillow and some duct tape because you will want to bang your head against the nearest available rock. I myself am fighting the urge to carving my eyes out with a dull wooden spoon after responding to the latest "special" email 5 minutes ago............

All things being said the trip is still moving forward and will get worked out,,, eventually...

Which is my way of saying "Thanks for taking care of the bureaucratic BS so we can all go have fun"!! ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:19:33 PM by PainRoller »

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
What are they asking you to do? Are you planning to camp inside the area?  A group and I went with before stayed outside the area when we camped. I don't think we needed permits.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2015, 03:00:08 PM »
The National Park Service requires permits for large groups, even just for traveling through the preserve. This is from their website:

Special use permits are required for all organized events. Events include but are not limited to tours,weddings, First Amendment activities, sporting events, and other gatherings. Additionally, any group traveling with 7 or more vehicles or 15 or more participants must obtain a special use permit. Examples of groups requiring a permit include:
 - College field trips with 15 or more students.
 - Equestrian rides of 15 or more participants.
 - Bicycle tours or races with 15 or more participants.
 - 4-wheel drive groups traveling together with 7 or more vehicles or 15 or more participants.
 - Street-legal motorcycle tours involving 7 or more vehicles.
 - Groups camping together in roadside camps sites with 7 or more vehicles or 15 or more participants.

When Toro put together the TMR run in April of this year, we got stopped by rangers twice asking for our permit. They typically cap your permit at 14 or 15 vehicles and 30 people, and my understanding is that the fines are pretty steep if you get caught without one.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
You folks just wouldn't believe the bureaucracy involved in getting a permit from this field office. The shenagens continue yet to date..... It will make a great campfire story just bring a pillow and some duct tape because you will want to bang your head against the nearest available rock. I myself am fighting the urge to carving my eyes out with a dull wooden spoon after responding to the latest "special" email 5 minutes ago............

Welcome to Toro's world ;D

You guys have patience that I am NOT EVEN familiar with :-*
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Celt

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »

Which is my way of saying "Thanks for taking care of the bureaucratic BS so we can all go have fun"!! ;)

HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAA............. Sammy Davis Jr!! Awesome!

Celt

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
In the end it's just a bunch of burocratic foolishness that I keep re-doing and doing over yet again. It will be worth it though because we will have a great trip this winter! I'm just continuously amazed at gubment inefficiency...

Celt

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
What are they asking you to do? Are you planning to camp inside the area?  A group and I went with before stayed outside the area when we camped. I don't think we needed permits.

They just want to know our planned route and like JF said there is a lot of permits involved travelling through the area. Obtaining a permit is a little like herding cats. You follow the instructions and send in the required non-refundable check. Sit and wait and wait some more. Send follow up emails only to learn they don't have your permit application after they told you they received it. Then you wait some more. You follow up to be told the permit was either lost or they thought you were no longer interested in obtaining the permit. After this you fill out the same permit and go back into the Ooda loop of questions. It only gets better because now they don't have any record of the check you sent being cashed so you have to stand by to prove you sent the check in the first place. Or they say you can send another check (but good luck recovering the other funds).

Meanwhile none of this is trackable or accountable. There are no control numbers issued and the permit application sits on a desk collecting dust until someone decides to look at it. There is nobody held accountable nor is there anywhere to put in an inquiry as to what the heck is going on. I guess I'm just getting a bit disgruntled but if you don't jump through each hoop they throw at you they won't process the permit. In the end no permit, no fun. I'm not willing to throw my sucker in the dirt and cancel everyone's fun.  Were gonna have fun dangit no matter what.................

It's gonna work out I'm sure.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
sounds like a payment of a premium beer for the stress
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
Add me to the waitlist Mr. Celt :)

Celt

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »
Add me to the waitlist Mr. Celt :)

Done

Celt

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
I was tossing around some ideas while at CANVAZ with the guys and wanted to run it by everyone. As of right now (10/12/15) we have a full group allowed by the permits from the park service. There are plenty on the wait list that want to attend. What I would like to see is how much interest there would be if someone else was willing to pull another permit for the same days. We can then very easily split the group into two which may in truth make travelling a little easier. We can have the SP times an hour apart so we will be travelling in two different permitted groups. We can still easily get into each others ears on 2m radios the whole time and camp together which would be an awesome campground.

With two separate permits nobody would be left behind on what I believe is going to be an awesome trip and wouldn't be out of compliance with regulations and subject to probably a very hefty fine (levied on me). It's also helpful to last minute folks that may be able to jump aboard. Soooo, anyone willing to take on the role as Co-Conspirator in this please post up if you are serious. We can work together offline and I'll help with all the specifics you would need for the permit. I believe the permit is roughly $75, I already took care of that on permit #1. I'll still do all the leg work and planning for the trip, planned stops, alternate routes, helping people out along the way etc. You would just have to pull another permit and be a trail leader during the day for group #2. It gets even better because if someone gets mad you can just shrug your shoulders and point at me. Win/Win situation here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:21:44 PM by Celt »

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:47 PM »
Celt,
I'm your huckleberry.  We can call my group a geology-themed trip, to differentiate the groups for permit purposes.  PM me and we will coordinate.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
Celt,
I'm your huckleberry.  We can call my group a geology-themed trip, to differentiate the groups for permit purposes.  PM me and we will coordinate.

Ok, done deal, you are officially Co-Conspirator. Truth be known I really appreciate it you will be perfect for the job.