Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New from North Orange County  (Read 4446 times)

TravelRooz

• 4wd Pts: 0
  • 2012 Xterra S
New from North Orange County
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2012 Brilliant Silver Xterra S last week. My wife and I plan to use this as our primary road trip/camping/exploring vehicle. Super excited to break in the car and start traveling!  :)
Travelrooz.net

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
Re: New from North Orange County
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »
Welcome from Aliso Viejo
I love it when a plan comes together

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
Welcome from Pasadena, you can break in your rig here...
http://sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=1927
From only mild to wild....you pick. Cleghorn has something for everyone. There is a 2wd fire road that runs parallel to this trail. Get out here and get her dirty and me some folks.

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
From some local flavor, join us next Sat for a run up Santiago Peak

Here's the link: http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php/topic,1887.0.html
I love it when a plan comes together

TravelRooz

• 2012 Xterra S
Re: Re: New from North Orange County
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! Im glad to see that there are some 2wd friendly runs available. As of right now, I am running bone stock. Is there anything I would need to get before doing one of these runs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Travelrooz.net

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
hello from Irvine, CA.

For your first few trips, I suggest just bring some food and drinks.  Take a look at what other people's equipment others might have.  The best thing about going in as a group is you won't have to carry the kitchen sink.  When I plan trips with my friend I tend to ask them what they are bring so I don't bring the same things.

I would recommend getting a FRS, CB or getting a HAM radio as one of the first items if you plan on doing multiple group trip. nothing worse than not knowing what's going on.

If you are into doing your own exploring, then I say the following items are a must.

1) First aid (more than the stock xterra kit)
2) Tire plug kit
3) Air compressor to fill a flat tire, doesn't have to be fancy, i used a cig. plug tire pump for a long time before I got my onboard air system.
4) basic tool set.  Check Sears or harbor freight for a mechanic tool set.  Also if you know your vehicle have a specific tools, that you might need (like a wheel lock nut) bring it.  It sucks having a tool you need stuck at home when you need to make a trail repair.
5) a good flash light
6) I recommend those heavy duty rubber floor mattes.  Not only do they keep your truck clean, but when you turn them over and throw it under your tire, it will aid you in traction when you are in a bind. (specially if you are 2wd)

That's what I would start with.  If you are free and can go to cleghorn, you should, I am sure there are many season individuals that are willing to show you what they carry.  For your first trip don't worry about bring stuff, I usually am the Kitchen sink guy since I have a truck. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  again welcome.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
Welcome Travelrooz!
The only thing that you might want to do is remove your side-steps.  They use up your ground clearence and break/bend pretty easily.
If you plan on doing more trail runs, you might look into a CB. It makes it more fun to chatter with the others while on the trail.  Come on  out, and see what everyone else has.  ( We love to talk Xterra ;))  Then take it from there.  See ya on the trail soon.

Edit:  I just saw Ultrapc's post(he uses all 10 fingers to type, so I got in a little late).  Add my 2 cents to everything he said and you can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:53:21 PM by RBduffer »
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

TravelRooz

• 2012 Xterra S
Re: Re: New from North Orange County
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
So considering im running a 2wd xterra,  im assuming that the trails are going to be a little less harsh then those that need 4wd. Is removing the step rails still something that's absolutely necessary?
Travelrooz.net

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:47 PM »
for this 2wd trail no, you will be more than fine in stock form.  Anything you are not comfortable with, just let anyone in front or behind you know and they will spot you

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Welcome from San Clemente!!!

Hope to see you out on the trails soon!!!