Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Mojave Desert Overland Expedition - May 2004 - A Tribute to Allen "Axle" Rose  (Read 4149 times)

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Hello fellow SCCX'ers!

I haven't been on the message board much lately until I got a message from Frank the other night regarding Axle's son Michael looking for old Xterra pics.

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4578.0

Fortunately, my buddy Carl, who is an avid photographer, kept copies of them. It is with mixed emotions sorting through the hundreds of pictures but luckily we have quite a bit of pictures of perhaps one of the most epic desert excursions from the early days (May 16, 2004). As a tribute to Allen Rose, his beloved family and his legendary Xterra that is now handed down to Michael as Axle Jr., here are the pictures.

Axle was considered a legend as being one of the nicest guys in the club with a fixed up Xterra, which back then, is a rarity due to limited aftermarket support especially in its early years. It was always a pleasure having him during our Xterra runs.

Often considered the "Trail Boss," he often gives proper instructions and guidance to club members.

Making a stop to do some geocaching which every club member was very fond of. This one has to be one of the most difficult as there is no GPS support towards the goal due to the slot canyons. Canyoneering and rappelling were involved to reach the goal.

Tiffany and her newfound friend.

Tiffany and Michael making new friends.

The smile says it all  :)

They quickly became best friends!

Michael petting their newfound friend.

Best friends till the end!

Geocache found! It sure wasn't easy.

...to be continued
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:29:06 PM by XterracerX »
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

XterracerX

Axle discussing logistics with Logan while Dana anxiously awaits to get out of the pavement.

Trail Boss, Spotter, you name it... Axle is always there to lend a helping hand.

A very patient spotter watching close by as the driver with very sweaty hands stalls the Xterra.

Finally overcoming the obstacle... 4LO was getting a workout that day!

Slowly but surely...

Ok that was me the whole time. I was a newbie... so give me a break  :-[

Logan taking over Dana's Xterra.

Logan spotting and providing traction at the same time lol

...to be continued

XterracerX

Moving into a different spot and on to bigger and better things.

I believe this area is called the "Roller Coaster" and the terrain says it all.

The Calmini suspension flexing its muscle!

The beast coming out of a corner!

The roller coaster was no match for the Maroon Monster!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:48:53 AM by XterracerX »

XterracerX

Xterras lining up for the group shot. We can't help but admire Axle's truck... it was truly unique and a very capable rig!

#badass

#beastmode

Looks like Axle Jr. found something here.

Tiffany continues to make friends... she should be our Xterra Club Ambassador  ;)

Is that a winch remote I see?

Axle to the rescue!

Axle pulling the winch cable and hooking up the Tacoma.

It takes special skills to use the winch. Safety is the number one priority!

Winch cable - check! Shackles - check! Let's put that Warn winch to the test!

Tacoma is now wild and free! Thanks to Axle, the Taco is now back to making "donuts" glazed with heavy chocolate mud... pie...
Ok, now I'm hungry  :(

By the looks of things, it sounds like someone wants to get winched as well...

Michael saw it coming...

...he was right! Jason and his Rubicon are now stuck!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:52:04 AM by XterracerX »

XterracerX

Still fresh from extracting the Tacoma, Axle, without hesitation, grabs the tow strap to pull the Jeep from the mud.

Realizing the tow strap was a little short...

...he singlehandedly pulled the Rubicon with all his might!

And he successfully pulled the Jeep out of its misery!

...by hooking it up to his Xterra being driven by his wife! What a team!

The Maroon Monster working overtime!

It's been a busy day for the Maroon Monster.

Now that everyone is out of the mud, we all line up for the obligatory group shot.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/North-America/USA/USA-California/California-Calico/i-bBqtLkm/0/57e7d615/X2/California%20-%20Calico%2000456-X2.jpg
Mojave Desert Overland Expedition - May 2004 - A Tribute to Allen "Axle" Rose

The Lucky 13!

What an awesome time with these fine folks!

A closer group shot... there were bugs and gritty sand between those smiles but they were nothing compared to the great adventure and experience everyone had during this trip!
Truly epic!

Finding a perfect spot to camp at night, the club settled in with their tents and sleeping bags. Drones were non-existent back then and we had to hike up a hill to get this shot.
You're welcome  :D

Time for some much needed R&R.

Gathering around the campfire is the best way to recap the day. Good food, good people, good times!

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures! It sure was fun finding them again and putting them together to share. Thanks Carl for capturing every moment.

@Frank: Thanks for always being in touch. I always look forward to hearing from you.

@Michael: Thanks for reaching out and making us reminisce the good old times. I know it's bittersweet but as long as you have the happy times to fall back into, that's all that matters. I hope you continue to carry on your Father's legacy. Someday I hope to have my son drive my Xterra when the time comes.

Thank you all!
Fred
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:55:07 AM by XterracerX »

Axle Jr

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 0
    • 01 Nissan Xterra SE
Thank you guys all so much for finding these means a lot seeing all the photos. Cant wait to make it back out there and make some memories of our own. The x lives on in my hands and i know my father would be proud to see me doing what ive done. I know he would also be the first one to join me on a trip out there to wheel if he had the chance. Thank you all in sccx for all the memories from my mom and sister and hopefully we will make it out there as a family again.

Michael "Axle" Rose

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
This is a great tribute.  Unfortunately, I joined up in 2015, so I haven't had the opportunity to meet some of the original members.  However, it is awesome seeing some history of this club that's not a club.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

FrankB

Fred, thanks for taking the time and effort to post those that, and thank Carl for the pictures.  Your narrative, by the way, always adds a bit of extra entertainment, and is appreciated.  I'm still laughing from the "drone" comment.  It's amazing how much things have progressed in the 14 or so years since these were taken.

If you or Carl have pictures from any other SCCX trips that pre-date what we do have here, feel free to start some new picture threads.

I went hunting around on the old XOC (which is kind of still there), but most if not all of the old photos are no longer visible. I can't find my old log-in, so that hampers it.  If anyone still has log-in credentials for XOC (xterraownersclub.com) there may still be some pictures visible.  If nothing else, some of the old threads can be quite amusing and informative.  There was an SCCX sub-forum.