Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Full Moon Camping Anza Borrego Saturday March 19th - 20th  (Read 10965 times)

ArchX

• 4wd Pts: 7
Full Moon Camping Anza Borrego Saturday March 19th - 20th
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:16 PM »
This Saturday March 19th the moon will be nearer the Earth than it has been in 18 years and it will coincidentally be a full moon.  Thinking about taking advantage of the moons proximity, and taking my 3 1/2 year old daughter overnight camping for the first time. 

I'd like to depart around 10ish from North County San Diego so we can run a mellow trail to a camp site, set up and enjoy the sky show.  If anyone is interested in the trip post up.  I would also appreciate any specific camp destination recommendations for the evening.  I will likely pick something around Blair Canyon if i do not figure out a better destination.

Communication, meet points and plan to follow if anyone else is interested..

FrankB

Re: Full Moon Camping Anza Borrego Saturday March 19th - 20th
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
Marc, if I didn't have to be at work at a conference downtown San Diego early on Sunday morning I would join you.  It sounds like a lot of fun.

Blair Valley would be a nice choice.  It might be a little cool at night at that elevation.  Somewhere in the Buttes Pass area might be nice too.

ArchX

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
Thanks much Frank.. Might send a PM

Impact619

• 4wd Pts: 1
  • 2011 Night Armor Pro-4X
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
Hey Marc... guess you're already on your way up, but in case you're still able to check the boards:

I have to work tonight at my bar gig, but I'm thinking about heading up late morning early afternoon tomorrow.  Didn't quite make it to Sandstone Canyon last weekend, and I'd like to take another run at it.  lol

If you'll still be around and can get a message back, let me know!

BTW, the moon looked pretty spectacular last night, and that was at the coast...  tonight it should really be something out in the desert!

-Thomas-

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
Didn't quite make it to Sandstone Canyon last weekend, and I'd like to take another run at it.  lol

Aw, yeah.  I'm really sorry again Thomas for leading us the wrong way.  I shouldn't have taken the lead, but since you didn't have a map or gps and had never been to Sandstone Canyon before, I felt obligated to step up.  I think it was actually being in a canyon that made my gps not so accurate.  And being in a rush to get to the destination, I just barrelled through following what appeared to be the most used trail.  At least there's one good thing... next time we'll know what path not to take.  LOL!  I hope you have a nice time and get some good photos!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Last time I talked to Marc he was doubtful on the overnight.  Hoping someone was able to make it and get some great shots.

Frank, did you get any nice shots of the moon over San Diego?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Impact619

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
Aw, yeah.  I'm really sorry again Thomas for leading us the wrong way.  I shouldn't have taken the lead, but since you didn't have a map or gps and had never been to Sandstone Canyon before, I felt obligated to step up.  I think it was actually being in a canyon that made my gps not so accurate.  And being in a rush to get to the destination, I just barrelled through following what appeared to be the most used trail.  At least there's one good thing... next time we'll know what path not to take.  LOL!  I hope you have a nice time and get some good photos!

Hehe, not a problem Marshann...  just wasn't meant to be that day!!  lol

As for today, I had a pretty busy weekend at the bar, so I didn't end up getting up and about too early today, either.  Wonder how the weather was up there.  Looks kind of gloomy around here.

-T-

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
. . . . Frank, did you get any nice shots of the moon over San Diego?

John, it was cloudy in the distance, but clear looking across the Bay from Shelter Island. We were a long ways from the skyline so the Moon did not look all that huge really, when we finally could see it.  On the other hand, there were about 6 of us friends from the photo club, so we had a nice evening visiting and shooting the occasional picture.  Here's one that kind of works.  Sort of.

There are a few more on my blog, with a link to more on the smugmug site. We were also out on Shelter Island on Friday night (just in case it rained on Saturday), but that was very different because of how much earlier in the evening the Moon rose.

One of these days I want to go out to the old rail siding with the water tank at Dos Cabezas in Anza Borrego when there is a full moon rising up behind it. That should make for an eerie photo.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:37:35 PM by FrankB »

Impact619

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
Nice shot, Frank!

I snapped a few shots of my X on Shelter Island with the nighttime skyline in the background.  How late did you have to stay out there to get the full moon to rise?

Which photo club are you in?

-Thomas-

FrankB

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »
Nice shot, Frank!

I snapped a few shots of my X on Shelter Island with the nighttime skyline in the background.  How late did you have to stay out there to get the full moon to rise?

Which photo club are you in?

-Thomas-

Thomas, that shot was taken at about 7:44PM.  The Moon rose at 7:23PM on Saturday, and sunset was at 6:58PM. I think that it is more common for the full moon to rise right at about sunset, this time it was a little after, which was nice.

The photo club is the San Diego DSLR Photo Group. I've been involved for just over 2 years. It's a great group of folks, we get together for a Group Shoot once a month, and I've met some really nice people through the club. It's a very non-competitive type of place, and everyone is very helpful too. We welcome people who are new to photography, and are happy to help them figure out what ever they need.  There is even a bit of cross-over, as some of them have come off-roading as well.  The website is:  www.sandiegodslr.com

Xterror

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
Wow,  what a nice shot Frank!  Is that a HDR?  I just sold my Canon Rebel XT and have a Canon 50D on the way.  I'm starting to have more time then past 2 BUSY years to start taking pics again.  I wonder if I have a PhotoGroup like that near me.  I will have to look around.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:11:52 PM by Xterror »
Formerly Ed_monster

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »
Wow,  what a nice shot Frank!  Is that a HDR?  I just sold my Canon Rebel XT and have a Canon 50D on the way.  I'm starting to have more time then past 2 BUSY years to start taking pics again.  I wonder if I have a PhotoGroup like that near me.  I will have to look around.

Hi Edgar, it's been a while. Hope all is well.

That shot is not HDR, in fact I don't even have the sort of software (or knowledge) it would take to do that. That is pretty much straight out the camera, though I did crop it a tiny bit, and added some sharpening. I use only a really simple program called iPhoto that comes with the Apple computer, and do very little editing.  If you want to see some HDR shots, check out the ones that Justin4x4 just posted in the recent Fish Creek picture thread. You should be able to spot them, since you'll wonder why there are no harsh shadows in the deep canyon.

ArchX

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
Hey guy's sorry didn't get back.. Very cool shot Frank..  actually puled out last minute thought it might be a little cold for Daughters 1st trip and possibly cloudy..  We did recently run Coyote Creek and had a fun day hiking and picnic lunch, camping soon to follow..  I'm also glad this thread grabbed some attention and life!!