Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Canceled: September 11th - 13th: Kid-friendly camping trip  (Read 12362 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: September 11th - 13th: Kid-friendly camping trip
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
We may be facing some pretty tough fire restrictions. According to the current info on the SBNF website, it looks like we might not even be allowed to operate gas fire pits or even cooking stoves right now. I've tried to contact every ranger station in the SBNF, as well as the Santa Rosa Wilderness office and the Palm Springs BLM office, but all offices are closed due to COVID-19. I might have to send an email and hope for a reply.

If anyone would like to read this info and see if I'm interpreting it incorrectly, please take a look: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/learning/safety-ethics/?cid=FSBDEV7_007776

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
I think they are talking about wood fired stoves not gas/propane stoves.  any flame that can be extinguished by turning off the fuel is ok.  it looks like you will need a fire permit even for gas powered stoves in remote sites.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »
We may be facing some pretty tough fire restrictions. According to the current info on the SBNF website, it looks like we might not even be allowed to operate gas fire pits or even cooking stoves right now. I've tried to contact every ranger station in the SBNF, as well as the Santa Rosa Wilderness office and the Palm Springs BLM office, but all offices are closed due to COVID-19. I might have to send an email and hope for a reply.

If anyone would like to read this info and see if I'm interpreting it incorrectly, please take a look: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/learning/safety-ethics/?cid=FSBDEV7_007776

Joe,
  I think you are reading too far into it. I got there is so fires allowed outside of fire rings or approved BBQ sites. Right now they went further by stating those are temporarily halted due to fire restrictions and dangers. I think what you may have missed was "1.Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire except in a Forest Service provided campfire ring or BBQ within the areas listed Exhibit A. 36 C.F.R. 261.52(a)." which is established campsites. I got my campfire permit this year prior to going to the Rubicon. They are needed even for Coleman/Butane etc stoves. Simple to get and I think most of us get them each year anyway. We will be in an established campsite which has been cleared of combustibles and Smokey the Bear approved for people to safely use. We will be fine using the stoves and propane fire pit.

Further down what I got was:

Can I use gas, liquid or jelly petroleum-fueled stove in undeveloped (remote) camping areas? What about developed camping/picnic areas?

Yes. Gas, liquid or jelly petroleum-fueled stoves are allowed in undeveloped areas but require a California Campfire Permit (available on-line click here). There is a detailed set of rules and regulations in place for undeveloped camping because of fire danger and the impact of vehicles or horses in the Forest. Additional restrictions may be implemented as fire danger increases.

Gas, liquid and jelly petroleum-fueled camp stoves are also allowed in developed campgrounds and picnic areas; however do not require a California Campfire permit because of the location.

Why are jelly petroleum-fueled stoves okay and campfires aren’t?

Gas, liquid, and jelly petroleum-fueled stoves can be extinguished by turning off the fuel source to the stove. Jelly petroleum-fueled stoves can be extinguished by putting a metal lid over the container. This makes their use much safer than campfires.

Ashes or hot briquettes can blow outside of the fire pit; these embers can easily start a wildfire. Also, visitors might discard ashes or hot charcoal briquettes before they are completely cool, which could cause vegetation to ignite later after they are gone... even under the ground weeks later!
Isaiah 6:8

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »
Added!
Just like that I'm out ( I forgot )
I'll be in Fallbrook for a Family wedding
Sorry
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 06:12:20 PM »
Sorry

:'(

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
I think they are talking about wood fired stoves not gas/propane stoves.  any flame that can be extinguished by turning off the fuel is ok.  it looks like you will need a fire permit even for gas powered stoves in remote sites.

That makes sense. I forgot that there are some old school folk (Celt) who cook with a wood burning stove while camping.  lol

Joe,
  I think you are reading too far into it. I got there is so fires allowed outside of fire rings or approved BBQ sites. Right now they went further by stating those are temporarily halted due to fire restrictions and dangers. I think what you may have missed was "1.Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire except in a Forest Service provided campfire ring or BBQ within the areas listed Exhibit A. 36 C.F.R. 261.52(a)." which is established campsites. I got my campfire permit this year prior to going to the Rubicon. They are needed even for Coleman/Butane etc stoves. Simple to get and I think most of us get them each year anyway. We will be in an established campsite which has been cleared of combustibles and Smokey the Bear approved for people to safely use. We will be fine using the stoves and propane fire pit.

The part in bold is what threw me off. I clicked on the link for "exhibit a" and the list did not include the Santa Rosa yellow post sites. It listed about a dozen or so developed campgrounds within the San Jacinto Ranger District, but none of the yellow posts were included. Thankfully, the remainder of what you posted clears it up. It's pretty clear now - no wood fires at yellow post, but propane is OK.

Celt

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »
I suppose because of these restrictions I might have to upgrade my technology to a sterno stove.

Celt

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 06:56:32 PM »
Sorry

And just like that "You suck"...............

???          :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 04:51:07 AM by Celt »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
And just like that "You suck"...............

It's my fault. I moved the dates.  :'(

Celt

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »
What do you think about a group dinner feed or two? I just remembered you were talking about bringing the campfire in a can set up. Want me to bring another propane tank?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:24:25 PM by Celt »

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »
Put me down as a maybe. Plus one more family.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »
Curious on elevation. about 8,000ft?

Celt

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 10:57:51 PM »
From what I'm seeing it's 6K.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »
What do you think about a group dinner feed or two? I just remembered you were talking about bringing the campfire in a can set up. Want me to bring another propane tank?

A group dinner is definitely not a bad idea. I'm going to go scout-out the sites within the next week, and once we verify that there's a big enough site for the group to set up, then we'll get some talk going about a group meal or two. As for the propane tank - yes, please bring one if you can. I went through half of my 10# tank in a single night up in Coyote Flat. If we're doing two nights, we could end up using a decent amount.

Put me down as a maybe. Plus one more family.

Added!

Curious on elevation. about 8,000ft?

Depends on which yellow post site we end up at. The yellow posts begin at about the 6,200' mark, but they continue along the road until about the 7,800' mark, I believe. The road ends into Toro Peak (about a half mile past the final yellow post site), which is 8,717 feet.