Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Airbags & Off Roading  (Read 5161 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Airbags & Off Roading
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
Has anyone installed a cut-off switch to air bag fuse
or
Do you pull the Fuse when off roading ??

A thought that popped into my brain as i was Bombing across the Desert.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:15:53 AM by Jayrat »
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
Re: Airbags & Off Roading
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Tempted but have not yet.  I did install a cut off switch for the ABS though since it was super easy.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
I think I remember Jordan saying that he unplugs the airbag doodlebobber under the passenger seat when he's doing gnarly offroad stuffs....IIRC

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »
I used to unplug the yellow airbag harness underneath the passenger seat.  However, I haven't done it on the last couple of trips because my trucks is past warranty for airbag parts.  The last time I unplugged it, I couldn't get the light to reset, so I had to go into Nissan to have them clear the code.

With all that being said, I'm not 100% convinced unplugging that thing will actually stop the side curtains from deploying.  I got into a conversation with someone about redundancy in the system.  Modern airbag systems are designed to work through faults that might occur in the system.  Personally, and I can't prove this at all, I don't think unplugging that harness actually eliminates the redundancy in the system.  Also, knock on wood, I think I've only seen Frontiers have the airbag problem.  Additionally, I do believe I saw a TSB somewhere that required reprogramming of the airbag system and I think it was only for Frontiers.   
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
On a similar note; My passenger door won't latch well at high altitude only.  Could this be an air pressure change in the air bag, putting pressure on the latching mechanism? 
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
I used to unplug the yellow airbag harness underneath the passenger seat.  However, I haven't done it on the last couple of trips because my trucks is past warranty for airbag parts.  The last time I unplugged it, I couldn't get the light to reset, so I had to go into Nissan to have them clear the code.

With all that being said, I'm not 100% convinced unplugging that thing will actually stop the side curtains from deploying.  I got into a conversation with someone about redundancy in the system.  Modern airbag systems are designed to work through faults that might occur in the system.  Personally, and I can't prove this at all, I don't think unplugging that harness actually eliminates the redundancy in the system.  Also, knock on wood, I think I've only seen Frontiers have the airbag problem.  Additionally, I do believe I saw a TSB somewhere that required reprogramming of the airbag system and I think it was only for Frontiers.

I can't speak to the unplugging thing, but there is some fake news in the second paragraph.

Reprogram was for Xterra's too.  Here's a link to the TNX thread about it. 

ETA: (for the lazy clickers)  From TNX

Recall Notice: Xterras, Titans, and Frontiers

SUMMARY

The current Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) rollover-sensing calibration logic could allow for unintended curtain air bag deployment in rare instances occurring under certain unique driving scenarios, usually involving unpaved roads or off-road where one side of the vehicle is higher than the other.

REMEDY

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the ACU in 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, and 2005-2014 Xterra vehicles. Nissan authorized dealers will reprogram the ACU with updated software. The ACU reprogramming will improve rollover-sensing calibration to address certain unique driving scenarios, and help prevent unintended rollover curtain air bag deployment, while maintaining the design intent for deployment in rollover crashes. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:29:19 PM by steve c »
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
I can't speak to the unplugging thing, but there is some fake news in the second paragraph.

Reprogram was for Xterra's too.  Here's a link to the TNX thread about it. 

ETA: (for the lazy clickers)  From TNX

Recall Notice: Xterras, Titans, and Frontiers

SUMMARY

The current Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) rollover-sensing calibration logic could allow for unintended curtain air bag deployment in rare instances occurring under certain unique driving scenarios, usually involving unpaved roads or off-road where one side of the vehicle is higher than the other.

REMEDY

Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to reprogram the ACU in 2004-2014 Titan, 2005-2014 Frontier, and 2005-2014 Xterra vehicles. Nissan authorized dealers will reprogram the ACU with updated software. The ACU reprogramming will improve rollover-sensing calibration to address certain unique driving scenarios, and help prevent unintended rollover curtain air bag deployment, while maintaining the design intent for deployment in rollover crashes. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take approximately two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

Please contact your Nissan Dealer with any questions or comments about your Nissan.
Ah ha, thanks.  I got my facts mixed up.  I kind of just ignored it too, because it stopped at 2014.
R. Long

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »
Ah ha, thanks.  I got my facts mixed up.  I kind of just ignored it too, because it stopped at 2014.

It's exceedingly rare that I get to be the "facts" guy on the forum.
At your expense, Rick!  I owe you a beer or something next time we go camping, lol.
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
It's exceedingly rare that I get to be the "facts" guy on the forum.
At your expense, Rick!  I owe you a beer or something next time we go camping, lol.
Hey, I'm glad you had the facts, this might actually help quite a lot of people on here.  O0
R. Long

JCX

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2012 Super Black S
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
I got the airbag recall notice and had the work done last week. Took about 2 hours.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »
It is true I used to unplug the yellow harness under the seat bit I haven't done that in a while and no issues since, resetting the airbag light was a PITA like Rick said. 

I did have the TSB to reprogram the ABS computer done but who knows if that will help or not. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
01-04 Tacoma's have an "activate" switch on the key fob for the airbags.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Depress the "lock" button three times, and presto, airbags deploy.

Toyota Airbag TSB

Fake news...sheesh.  :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
Other than
It is true I used to unplug the yellow harness under the seat bit I haven't done that in a while and no issues since, resetting the airbag light was a PITA like Rick said. 

I did have the TSB to reprogram the ABS computer done but who knows if that will help or not. 

Other than just throwing a code and being a pain to reset is there anything else negative that happens?
Isaiah 6:8