Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Hello from San Diego  (Read 7062 times)

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
Hello from San Diego
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
Hello everyone.  Thanks for all the great info on the forum.  I've already vacuumed up tons of good info, much appreciated.

Couple of weeks ago, I bought a Silver 2014 Pro-4X with 13k miles on it from a dealer in Irvine.  I really wanted a mid-sized truck-based SUV, and this is fitting the bill great so far.  Funny, how it's so hard to find a vehicle like that at reasonable price, but I digress. 

I also bought a 6 yr/80k mi Security+Plus Gold service contract from Nissan of Santa Rosa (at less than half the price the Irvine dealer wanted, hah).  The X was past it 36 months bumper to bumper warranty, so the plan is good peace of mind.

The only mod I've done so far is the hood struts.  And there's a Pioneer head unit inbound, because Android Auto.

Outdoor activities for me and the family are hiking, camping, backpacking, and shooting sports.  So the X will be good for hauling us and our junk around to do all that.  And I think the XTerra will open up more locations for us to do those things, particularly in Anza Borrego and Utah. 

Not sure how much off roading for its own sake we'll do.  But my son and I did just make a run up Black Mountain near Ramona, and had a great time.  I'll say this, that XTerra was planted to the road every inch up and down.  It was impressive to say the least.  We did air the tires down to 20 psi for the run up there, mainly for practice doing it.  Didn't want to go lower without beadlocks or experienced trail buddies along.  Not hard core by any stretch, but everything we tried worked.

Here we are at the top, and at the end, getting ready to air the tires back up to highway pressure.

Anyway, thanks again for the forum, and I hope to see some of you out there.

K6BOS - Craig

FrankB

Re: Hello from San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »
Welcome, also from San Diego.

If you are available this coming Thursday evening, we are having our monthly San Diego-area food meeting.  We used to meet at a parking lot that had a bunch of food trucks; for now at least we'll be at Liberty Public Market in Liberty Station.  It's a great way to meet a bunch of us, and even check out some of the trucks. 

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
Welcome to SCCX
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
Welcome from Murrieta!

OffRdX

• 4wd Pts: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
Welcome, I'm out in El Cajon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beedee

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
Welcome man, I'm in Long Beach.

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:41:49 AM »
Welcome from Pasadena!

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
Welcome from Lemon Grove.  Look forward to meeting up with you.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
Welcome...a great way to meet folks face to forum profile is at one of the regional meet ups.

The San Diego version can be found here:  SD Grub N Grind

John/Ghost65
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Welcome from San Clemente....and it sounds like you'll fit right in!!!!

P.S. this android auto.....do tell!!!!

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome...a great way to meet folks face to forum profile is at one of the regional meet ups.

The San Diego version can be found here:  SD Grub N Grind

John/Ghost65

Mrs. CraigBos and I will try to make it to Liberty Station this week.  It's ironic, because the old meetup place, food trucks at Innovations Academy, or whatever, was just down the street. 

From this post, I gather the meet location will be somewhere around here, and based on this post, I'll shoot for some time after 5:30.  See you then!

Welcome from San Clemente....and it sounds like you'll fit right in!!!!

P.S. this android auto.....do tell!!!!

OK, to make a long story short -- I use a bunch of Google services and really like Android phones and Google Maps on whatever platform.  Yes, I know they're creepy data miners.  I'm hooked.  So there. 

Anyway, one thing led to another and I tried out a Kenwood aftermarket head unit with Android Auto.  I really like it for the clean screen presentation and the integration with all the info on my phone such as contacts, recent driving directions, and MP3 player.  Maps with traffic sensitive routing and ETA calculation is better than any factory or aftermarket head unit I've seen.

See the below pic for installation in a 2015 RAV4.

Then I discovered that lots of rental cars these days have Android Auto -- Chevy, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen.  Ford, too, I think.  The full application list is here.  So that completely set the hook.  No more autos for me without Android Auto.

If I get the gumption, I'll take pics during the Xterra install, and post a build thread.

K6BOS - Craig

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
If the parking lot has room we'll all end up together.  Last month there was a special event and the place was packed, we had to get parking where ever we could, and we just hung out on one of the seating areas on the Historic Decatur Road side of the Public Market.

It sounds like you live in the same area that I do, which is also near the old meet spot off Scripps Poway Parkway.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25:45 AM »
 Hopefully we will get a good showing again. I'm reasonably sure we will all be able to park together as the last one was a fluke because of comic-con.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
For what it's worth (and sorry to derail the thread a little), I don't mind the creepy Google data mining. Access to tons of data is a big part of making everything a better experience. That goes for everyone - the seller, the consumer, etc. Maybe it's just the analyst in me, but I look at it like this: You're going to be marketed to no matter what. Would you rather those marketing attempts be for things you don't care about (and therefore a waste of your time), or for goods and services that you're actually interested in? :)

Ok, we now return to our regularly scheduled welcome thread. :D

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
I hate super accurate targeted advertising that makes me spend money on stuff that I am definitely interested in, makes it hard to save lol
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit