Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Paint Chips and what to do with them  (Read 4321 times)

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Paint Chips and what to do with them
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Hey guys

I found a paint chip over the weekend on my hood; I thought it was a piece of dirt, and I hit it with the power washer while rinsing some dirt off her....and it got bigger instead of washing off   :-[

What do I do to prevent it from spreading?

Any advice is appreciated...

Thx

-Christiaan

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
Re: Paint Chips and what to do with them
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »
Make sure to wash and apply neosporin before applying to ouchie.

J/k, I found a little one on my hood the other day and was wondering the same.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:41:54 AM »
eat them?
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
If they have a decent amount of lead, they taste sweet, I've been told.

I have 3 chips on the top edge of my windshield I need to take care of as well.  When I got my X the rain gutter was very chipped up and I just cleared it out and painted the bedliner paint in there.  That won't work in the middle of a hood though.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
fine sand the chip spot, work the paint chip edge as well with a little sanding, clean, touch it up, let it dry.

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
Well I have the same issue, my thought was plastidip it. I wanted to get the hood blackout but I don't see myself spending that much money on something that does nothing besides glare. I was gonna get a can of black plasti dip and attempt to do the same thing going thru the groves of the hood.

Take a look at this. Similar concept

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
The chip is a symptom of overall road driving.  The flaking paint is potentially a result of unwaxed and under-protected paint?

As others have stated Christiaan, grab some high grit (600+) sand paper and address the small area that is flaking.  Either have some primer paint ready, or grab some color specific touch up paint from the stealership.

Gently sand the area until it is smooth and the outer edges of the paint flake area blend with the inner surface.  You may go down to bare metal...don't let this freak you out, it happens.

Then take some alcohol, or spray carb cleaner on a rag and apply to the sanded area.  This cleans up any dust or sanded particles so the paint will adhere to the prepped surface.

Let that dry for a bit. 

Wipe with a dry cloth before you spray or apply the new paint.

If there is bare metal from the sand paper prep, mask off a square bigger than the sanded point. 

Practice with the rattle can primer on the side of a large cardboard box.  Even left to right spray patterns are best...try not to sweep in a bat swing motion.  This will cause drips as your spray pattern will be too close as your arm hyper extends and then sweeps away at the end of each spray pass. 

Once you have the spray pattern nailed down with the practice box, time to head to the hood.

Rattle can is always going to leave an "orange peel" look, BUT this is better than the open wound of the paint flake spot, which will eventually turn to rust, then a hole, and then you are buying hood louvers like CarJeep.  ;)

OR...if you go with the touch up paint from the stealership, use the applicator brush (like nail polish, but thicker) to apply even strokes. 

Again, practice with this applicator on a paper plate or smooth surface similar to your hood will help you get the feel before you actually hit the real thing.  Touch up paint is thicker, and less is more is definitely the phrase of the day when working with this stuff. 

Also, letting it dry after each application and then going back and hitting the thin spots will help make it look better.

Keep in mind, neither of these treatments for your paint chip/flake area will look "factory," but that isn't the point here.  Besides, you're just going to cover it with dust/dirt soon...right?  Or, just drive faster and don't stare at the area.

I used rattle can Rust O' Leum on the Ghost several times to keep the elements and rust at bay.  The first time you sand on your rig is a lump in the throat moment...a bit like drilling holes in the roof for a roof rack.  But, with a little practice and patience...yes, I said patience...you will get the hang of this and have your rigs finish up and protected in no time.

Good luck, shoot me a text if you need more help.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:07:03 AM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
Thanks John...yeah, I can already tell this is gonna be fun.

Thank goodness it's been so dry lately  :o