Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Woody's Wagon  (Read 18794 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Woody's Wagon
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 07:22:52 AM »
Please do.  All I can find up here are sail makers.

I'll have some information for you on the next couple of days.
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
Nicely done.

But, I don't see any mounting points on the tongue for two 20 pound propane tanks, a box for 400 pounds of tools, and 4 full jerry cans.   :D

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
No CHUSA here.  I will have a tongue box soon with a small propane tank, but I wont need to power the apocalypse, just big enough to feed the bbq when I grill for the hungry hoards.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

CAWoody

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
Well it's been kind of up and down day.  Started off great, got the rest of the trim on the wagon and decided to do a short road test out to Trabuco Creek.  Trailer tracked well for the 20+ miles to the creek.  Headed up the trail, the trailer bounced around a lot, mostly because I didn't air down.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Hit a couple of little hills and mud pits, had no problems.
Road down the creek bed, more bouncing, and across the creek a few times.  Decided to air down the trailer at that point to see if it was any smoother. Nope!  Springs are to stiff.
Messed around for about an hour and started home.
Got to within 3 mile of the house, then disaster hit.  I heard a  loud thump, looked in the mirror to see the trailer tilted to one side about 45 degrees then slam to the ground.  Felt something hit the back of the truck, then heard my son Randy say, "look dad, there goes a tire!"  I pulled over as fast as I could and watched my 35" tire roll down Chapman Avenue through Newport Blvd intersection, thankfully it was a green light, and down the road.  Without a word, Randy was out the door running down the hill after it.  I got out to survey the damage.
Thankfully the tire didn't hit anybody, that section of road is traveled heavily by motorcycles going and coming from Cooks Corner.  I looked at the hub and found a couple of studs with metal shavings still attached and the outer edge of the hub rough from dragging on the asphalt.  I kept looking down the road to see where Randy went but couldn't see him.  After about ten minutes, I had the trailer on the jack when a car pulled up behind and out popped Randy with the tire.  A nice young couple was behind us and saw the whole thing.  The followed the tire for about a 1/2 mile when it finally came to a stop with in hot pursuit.  Thank god he's a runner because that kind of run would have killed me.  I'm really glad I decide to take my tools with me otherwise I'd been screwed without a proper socket.  Got the wheel back on by taking a lug off each wheel and driving home slowly.  I surveyed the damage when a got home and only found the top wrinkled a little.  The whole thing must have flexed when it hit the ground and buckled the aluminum on the plywood seam.  I did find some damage on the X, it looks like the tire hit the corner bumper, the friction took the bed liner right off.

What a day.  Next on the list is to get softer springs and some longer shackles.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:59:38 PM by knightrider »

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »
Holy crap! Sorry about the misfortune Tim, but thank goodness no one was injured and no one's property was damaged (other than yours), and you were able to retrieve the wheel and tire. Bummer about the damage, but at least it's repairable. I guess that's one way to do a shakedown run!

CAWoody

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »
Holy crap! Sorry about the misfortune Tim, but thank goodness no one was injured and no one's property was damaged (other than yours), and you were able to retrieve the wheel and tire. Bummer about the damage, but at least it's repairable. I guess that's one way to do a shakedown run!
Sir speedy (aka Randy) caught up to it and brought it back.

Celt

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:25 AM »
Woody, sorry I didn't get back to you on the tent maker. I just got super busy prior to the winter Mojave Rd. as I had one of our vehicles getting some repairs. I'll get back with you on this ASAP as there are several around here that specialize in that type of thing. A thought or two on the trailer suspension. I know you went out for a test run to see how things worked. I was thinking that if it was under load it wouldn't bounce so much and you would probably get much different handling characteristics. I'm not sure what the spring rate is on those leafs but under load they may just perform night and day. Did you figure out the culprit for the tire shearing? How many lug nuts do those hubs have? That may be something you might need to look at. I'm glad nothing worse happened as you are right a 35' tire/wheel rolling down the street is likely to wreak havoc with grannies, dogs, cats and anything else coming across those streets.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Seriously lucky Tim!

Have you checked out Dinoot Trailers?  There are some really cool tips on their forum/website, special note of the springs they sell which are less stiff.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

CAWoody

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
Seriously lucky Tim!

Have you checked out Dinoot Trailers?  There are some really cool tips on their forum/website, special note of the springs they sell which are less stiff.
I have looked at there stuff and that where I was getting ideas.  They guy that made the frame for me put the wrong spring on in the first place and told me once i had the box built he would switch them out.  Now the weather is getting better I can take the trailer down and get them replaced.

Celt

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
Woody, sorry it took so long to get back with you. One of the places ORW recommends to people for custom work is called Jim's Upholstery 858-268-8531. http://www.jimsautoupholstery.com/

CAWoody

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:04 PM »
Cool! Thanks.  I'll give them a call next week.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
I just found your thread Tim.  I have tech issues ???
 Great story that ends very well indeed.  I have had the same thing happen to me years ago.  We were both lucky.  Accept I had to chase my own tire lol
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

CAWoody

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
Working hard to get ready of OVerland Expo and Cerros Gordo.  She is finally trip worthy.

With the platform for the tent in the closed position.

Business side showing the tool drawers.

Kitchen side.  Ready to cook.
The two side shots have the bed platform partially open.
Now I have to save money for the awing, battery, and most importantly the custom tent.
This hobby is expensive. :-[

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:02:16 PM by CAWoody »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
Looks really good Tim!  Loving the home-brew approach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
BOSS MODE ENGAGED!!! WAY TO GO TIM!!