Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What is happening in July?  (Read 18548 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
What is happening in July?
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:47:36 PM »
Do we have any trips coming up anytime in July?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
Re: What is happening in July?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
I plan to run up holy jim trail this sunday.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
Do you have more details?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »
I need about two to three weeks advanced notice or else I've got something scheduled for that weekend. We use to make runs on the third weekend of the month a long long time ago... but since we've missed the last three/four now I've moved on. I'll get over it but my wife is threatening me with violence if I don't take her camping in July.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
Paul (and everyone else),

It's hard to say what will be going on for the next few months. As you may have noticed, Brian's kids are getting older and he has less free time on weekends to lead runs. He mentioned a while back that he's down to maybe one weekend a month, if that.

There are many of us who don't generally get to the runs in the summer for lots of reasons, myself included. For many here the summer is the time when they can spend weekends with family, with kids out of school and such. Many have vacations planned too. For some it's just too hot out there.

Once the weather in the desert cools back off I know that I'll be heading out often to places like Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree, and we'll have more runs. Of course, if I'm leading they might be too tame (easy) for some of you. Maybe someone else can lead some trips out there to the more difficult trails.

This has always been a fairly loosely organized club, and there is no reason why you or anyone else could not post up an idea and/or lead a run. There are plenty of places to go in So Cal in the summer, and there is no shortage of guidebooks out there with ideas.  This probably doesn't need to be said, but it's not as if we have any sort of full-time staff setting up runs, so there may well be months when no one is available to set something up. It looks like summers are going to be that way unless someone new steps up.

If someone is not comfortable leading a run, but has an idea of a place they would like to go, why not post up a date, time and description of the trail, and see if there is interest in others joining? Just please try to be clear on what is going on, so that someone doesn't show up expecting something completely different. Maybe use some of the earlier run postings as examples of how much information to provide.

I would like to hear what other have to say about this. All ideas are welcome.

And Paul, as to your personal problem (that is, Noon threatening you with violence) all I can say is: run. Oh wait, you have bad knees don't you?  I guess you're just screwed. Why do I have a feeling she knows how to inflict some serious pain?  ;D  Sounds like you need to just take her camping someplace, and soon.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:37:23 PM by FrankB »

XterraTroy

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »

There are plenty of places to go in So Cal in the summer, and there is no shortage of guidebooks out there with ideas. 

What are some of the better guidebooks out there? I get back from Iraq in a couple months and would definitely like to hit the trails. I'm gonna be taking about three months off when i get back. When I plan on doing a run, I will definitely post up here and let everyone know!
To Quote the late Colonel Sanders, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

The X

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
What are some of the better guidebooks out there? I get back from Iraq in a couple months and would definitely like to hit the trails. I'm gonna be taking about three months off when i get back. When I plan on doing a run, I will definitely post up here and let everyone know!

The Charles A Wells book is good - Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4-wheel Drive Trails.

Massey and Williams is fine - Backcountry Adventures: Southern California

The Tony Huegel book is OK - California Desert Byways
2006 Xterra Off Road

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »
The Charles A Wells book is good - Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4-wheel Drive Trails.

Massey and Williams is fine - Backcountry Adventures: Southern California

The Tony Huegel book is OK - California Desert Byways

Paul mentions some good choices.  I have added an even longer list to the bottom of the Xcursion Guidelines post at the top of this forum.

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
How about Big Bear, with group camping at J pines either 7/24-25 or 8/1-2? Please post which WE works better for you?

Man been too long since we've been on a run; between works, kids, family heath stuff been tuff not to mention the truck needing parts, repair, etc.  Fixed the steering but still waiting on CALMINI for the radius arm,  if I don't get it >:( I'll slum it in my land crusher. 

Brian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:36:50 AM by xtoolbox »

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
How about Big Bear, with group camping at J pines either 7/24-25 or 8/1-2? Please post which WE works better for you?

Man been too long since we've been on a run; between works, kids, family heath stuff been tuff not to mention the truck needing parts, repair, etc.  Fixed the steering but still waiting on CALMINI for the radius arm,  if I don't get it >:( I'll slum it in my land crusher. 

Brian

I kindda dig the cruiser. It did well at pismo. I am out due to more schooling. Norfolk here I come . woohoo

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
Brian, thanks for getting something going. I want to go to Big Bear so bad, unfortunately we will be in Oregon both weekends. If for some reason this does not work out let's plan a BB weekend in August.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:52:04 PM by Goldfish »
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

DWphoto

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
heading up to cleghorn saturday AM 4th actually camping somewhere out there on friday night... 

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
Either week works for me.  ;D
2006 Xterra Off Road

Guy

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
I can defintely relate to kids getting older and not having as much time to go out with the Xterra club.  I have been MIA for quite a few years but have continued to lurk and occasionally make it to a run.  Well my boys are getting older now.  One graduated HS and will be going off to college in the fall.  The other is a senior this year and will pick up Eagle Scout next month.  We are headed to New Mexico this summer, July 24 - Aug 8, for an 11 day backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts.  That will be my last big hoo-rah with scouting.  My calendar should start freeing up in the fall and I would be more than glad to lead a few trips... really looking forward to it actually.

Hope to see you guys on the trails soon!
Guy
I ain't as good as I once was... but I'm as good once as I ever was!

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »
I can defintely relate to kids getting older and not having as much time to go out with the Xterra club.  I have been MIA for quite a few years but have continued to lurk and occasionally make it to a run.  Well my boys are getting older now.  One graduated HS and will be going off to college in the fall.  The other is a senior this year and will pick up Eagle Scout next month.  We are headed to New Mexico this summer, July 24 - Aug 8, for an 11 day backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts.  That will be my last big hoo-rah with scouting.  My calendar should start freeing up in the fall and I would be more than glad to lead a few trips... really looking forward to it actually.

Hope to see you guys on the trails soon!
Guy

Hey Guy, good to hear from you.  I see your X every now and then, as I live just on the other side of I-15 from you.

I won't be able to make a run in July or early August, I'm booked for both of the weekends Brian mentioned.