Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: AAL questions  (Read 6637 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
AAL questions
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
I'm currently running a poor man lift with a spacer up front and shackle in the rear. I also have adjustable Billstein 5100s with the fronts adjusted to 1/2" above stock height (one notch on the shock) to preload the front springs just a tad and compensate for the weight of the winch.

The rear end sits just a little too low for my liking. I'm about 2.5-2.75" above stock height in the front, and maybe 1.5" or so above stock height in the rear. She sits pretty level right now, but I want to restore a tiny bit of rake to help with the gas mileage.

Rather than installing an even taller shackle, I've decided that an Add-A-Leaf is the way to go, which will also stiffen up the rear end just a tiny bit, so it doesn't sag as bad under a load. I've seen the damage caused by the tiny AAL springs (cracked leafs, etc), so I shopped carefully and acquired a Calmini AAL from another user here on the forum. I've always been a fan of this particular setup, because the long springs distribute the weight over the whole current leaf and don't make the ride as harsh or put too much pressure on a single point.

Now I'm down to the questions - for starters, I'm wondring if I should install just one of the leafs per side, or both. The package comes with a long leaf and a shorter leaf. The calmini website says the full package will add roughly 1.5" of height, which is more than I'm looking to get here. I would like to add about .75 or 1 inch total (insert rimshot or "that's what she said" comment here). I could install just one of the two springs per side, or I could install both and remove the factory overload spring. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these options, and if I do install just one of the two, should I go with the longer one higher up in the pack or the shorter one lower down in the pack?

Second - I need some harware to make it all happen. I don't have much experience dealing with leaf springs, especially adding springs to the existing pack. The u-bolts are pretty self explanitory, and I've already found the info I need regarding specs on those. The questions that reamin are:

1) Do I need a pinion angle shim for the axle? I'm only looking to add 1 inch of lift maximum from the additional spring(s), but remember that I already have about 1.5" in the rear from a shackle.
2) Can I reuse the factory center-bolt for the leaf pack, or do I need to replace this (and if I need to replace, what are the specs I need to buy)?
3) How do I remove the existing "clamps" that are keeping the springs alligned toward the ends - I searched and searched both this formum and thenewx for a how-to in regards to adding a leaf, but came up short
4) What should I replace the "clamps" that are keeping the springs alligned with? Some people have mentioned just bolting a couple of steel plates together around the springs - is this ok, or is there a better solution?
5) The factory springs seem to have a small plastic shim installed between each one. I presume this is to prevent the aweful metal on metal squeeking that would occur when the springs flex. The Calmini springs don't have anything like that installed on them - should I try to insert some tiny plastic to shim it out and keep it from squeeking?

Thanks for all of the help everyone!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:30:13 PM by JFanaselle »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: AAL questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
Did a little deeper dive into the search function over on thenewx...found this for you Joe:

AAL Info and U-Bolt Questions

Toro and knightrider should also have some great info as well.

IME...all off road suspension squeaks at some point.  Dust gets in between stuff, and greasing all the leaves is an option, but only works so long or until they get dunked through several stream crossings.

Using a set of adjustable shackles helps as well, as you can adjust up as all leaves will settle out after a period of time.  My Alcans settled out about 4 months after their install, and I just jumped the PRG adjustable shackles one bolt hole down.

You don't typically need shims until you start to approach 3-3.5" of lift in the rear, and this is done to maintain pinion/driveshaft angles to avoid driveline vibrations.  I ran adjustable shackles on the last bolt holes with my 2" PRG PML without any issues.

I'm not sure what type of center bolt is used...anyone? 
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Thanks John. Good info in that thread. I emailed Calmini and can get all of the original hardware for prices that aren't astronomical, but I'd like to avoid spending money on anything I won't need.

They only want a few bucks for the center bolts and $25 for the u-bolt set, so those are a no-brainer. But they want another $30 for the shims and another $25 for the extended bumpstops. These are the two items I'm on the fence about.

I presume the extended bumpstops are to prevent the leafs from overextending and bending backward? With the existing shackle and the other inch or so I'm looking to get out of the added leafs, I could be getting to a point where I need these. I wonder if I could/should shim my factory bumpstops enough with some metal plates to take care of that? The axle shims are still a question mark at this point as well - I guess the biggest question is will it HURT or HELP in any way to add them or not add them? I would hate to avoid spending the $30 and then decide I need them.

I'll wait for Toro or Knightrider to chime in with their thoughts before I place any orders.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:43 PM »
Joe...I doubt you need bumpstop extensions or mods of any kind there with your lift.  You should be fine with stock on a 1.5-2" lift.

Swing by Nisstec's and PRG's websites for more U-bolt/center bolt resources.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
OK let me see if I can fill the gaps.  Center bolts are "special" as the head is round so I would get them from calmini, ubolts are one time use so they need to be replaced as well.  I would use both AAL, they are used, so you won't get the full quoted lift.  Do you have fixed shackles?

Shims, get them, better to install them than not and have to later.  You will know if you need them as you will get vibrations at speed. 

Bumpstop extensions can be made out of simple square tubing if you need them, if your shocks bottom out before your bumpstops hit then you need extensions, if you haven't changed the shocks, this won't have changed. 

The clamps on the stock leaf can be bent out of the way to allow the new leaf to be inserted and bent back in to place, they are more of just keeping everything in line until the ubolts are tight, no real purpose once everything is tightened up. 

The plastic shims are to keep things quiet but as john said, they will make noise, regular maintenance involves spreading the leaf pack and cleaning out the dirt and reapplying grease, the plastic shims on the factory leaf don't even work 100% to eliminate noise.  The factory leaf have holes to keep the little spacers, if you try to add some, they will work themselves out, best to just not worry about it and grease them up regularly.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
Thanks for all of the great info Jordan. I did look at the PRG and Nisstec options for U-Bolts, and they're all basically in the $25-$30 range. I'll just order them from Calmini as well to save the shipping costs. And good point about the springs already being less than the advertised lift, since they're used. The shackles I have ARE a fixed height, so worst case scenerio, I can order adjustable ones and drop them down if I'm stink-bugging too much after the install. I'm sure they'll sag more over time anyway, so the adjustable ones would allow me to correct that when it happens.

I'll forego the bumpstops and save the $30 on those. I don't think I'll bottom out the shocks by adding another inch at this point.

In my searching, I found a post from Toro where he was saying to use a sliced up bicycle inner-tube to help with some of the noise, in addition to using lithium grease.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:41 PM »
I'm down the street from Deaver, so if you need shims or ubolts I could pick them up for you and bring them to Duffman's house this weekend (if he'll have us)

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
Sounds good Steve! That might be a better option than ordering from Calmini anyway. I'll reach out to Deaver tomorrow and see how much they want for everything. I'll need the shims, center bolts and u-bolts. I can probably just pay them over the phone and have you pick it all up. I'll let you know what they say.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
Sounds good Steve! That might be a better option than ordering from Calmini anyway. I'll reach out to Deaver tomorrow and see how much they want for everything. I'll need the shims, center bolts and u-bolts. I can probably just pay them over the phone and have you pick it all up. I'll let you know what they say.

Yeah, whatever works best. 

When you call, ask for Jeff.  Then mention Steve with the red xterra.  Might get you a better price - or a higher one :D

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »
Haha, will do Steve!

Jordan - I forgot to ask one more thing - what are your thoughts on the stock overload spring? Should I remove it when adding the extra leafs, or should I leave it in place? My understanding is that it won't impact the ride height anymore than the physical thickness of the spring, but how does it impact ride quality? I never tow, but from time to time I'll have a couple of big people in the back seats and maybe some heavy camping gear piled in the back. Might one day end up with a rear tire carrier as well. That being said, this rig is my DD and comfort is pretty important.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
Hey Joe,
Most guys toss the stock flat leaf with Calamis but I will bow to Jordan on this, as in most things.
How cool are all these guys?  Well done.
Most important is imported lager and domestic cookies ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:24:06 AM »
stock overload does nothing to ride height because the leaf is below the axle.  most people ditch it, but it can help, although not very much, for those times your are heavily loaded.  the xterra springs are so under sprung that an AAL just brings the spring rates up to where it should have been from the factory. 

imo OME, Deaver or Alcan are the best options, OME being the most economical, but not custom.  Deaver and Alcan, while more expensive, will get you the exact ride empty and loaded down you want as long as you get them built to the correct weight.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:12 AM »
Don't forget to "loosen up" a little and remove your rear sway bar. ;)

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:54 AM »
Thanks again Jordan. I'll probably just leave the overload spring there for now. As long as it doesn't do anything ot the ride quality until I'm heavily loaded down, then I don't see much of a reason to get rid of it.

Duff - I'll see you this weekend! I will be equipped with imported lager and cookies. Shocktop ok again this time, or do you have a new preference?

And John, the sway bar came off last time I made it over to Duff's house to install the spacers and shackles. These guys have a way of forcing your hand a little - something about "all the cool kids are doing it."  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:32:40 AM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »
I sent you a PM Steve. Everything is good to go with Deaver. Just paid them over the phone and told them to expect you sometime between now and Friday to pick it all up. U bolts, center bolts and axle shims. Thanks again!