Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 1/24-25 Joshua Tree + Bradshaw  (Read 32505 times)

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
1/24-25 Joshua Tree + Bradshaw
« on: December 31, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
Thinking this might be a good time for a southern desert run

Meets:
1/24 10:15am @ LOVE'S TRAVEL STOPS #207
45761 DILLON RD
COACHELLA, CA 92236
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=b1ie7&p=dillon+road+gas+station+indio&SpellState=n-2512887579_q-czO6ADrb7Sgdwb%2F82eaHYgAAAA%40%40&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

Berdoo Cyn [Easy to Moderate: ~ 25miles & 4 hours w/ Geo Tour Rd ]

Starts off in wash before the park border, passes through a fun rocky canyon, turns into a sand wider open track.  At the one way we will swing around to maybe the wind caves and dam at Squaw tank, continue down the geo tour towards Jumbo Rocks.

North Entrance: Mine Sites or Pinkham Cyn

For the 2nd half of the day may head down the Utah trail and try the dirt north entrance: Italy Mine, Goat,  Pinto,  North Star mines,  Music Valley Area just out side the park for camping.  Other possiblites include Pinto Basin Rd to Cottowood, Pinkham Cyn out to I-10 Catus City rest area.

1/25 Bradshaw Trail:

From mitch:  Sunday will be a trip down Red Canyon Road to the Bradshaw Trail.  Then west for a wash run to an oasis and then the Bat Caves and finally ending up at Hwy 111 near the lovely and effervescent metropolis of Bombay Beach. 
These would be a stock friendly trails with an opportunity for gas and groceries Saturday afternoon at Chiriaco

Other possiblities include connecting down I-10E, exit Eagle Mt Rd, Chickwall Mts exploring east as far as we feel looking going to the border :D

This run will be diverse and offer something for everyone from easy wash running, desert fast tracks, traditional trail rides, optional rock piles, with views, mine site, landmarks, and flora to see along the way.  Please post up if you're interested, have some other stuff in mind, etc.

Reference / GPS:
Guide to Socal Backroads and 4-wheel Drive Trails: Charles A. Wells
Berdoo Canyon #75

Primitive Group Camping Saturday night at someplace that looks good :lol

FRS Channel 1, Subcode 24
CB Channel 12

Brian
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:04:02 PM by xtoolbox »

FrankB

Re: 1/17-18 Joshua Tree and/or Bradshaw
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »
I like either of those ideas Brian.   I can be there both days, and can help with planning or leading, whatever. Here are a few thoughts:

For Joshua Tree I was thinking we could do a mix of easy and challenging, by going in through either Berdoo or Pinkham/Thermal and then camping at the spot we found in Nov 2006 (I think it was in the Gold Crown area). That would make Saturday a pretty much stock-friendly day, then on Sunday those who want more of a challenge could head up into the mining district and out to Hwy 62.  If someone wants to make it a one-day trip they could easily exit on Saturday by driving back south on Old Dale to pavement (about 10-12 miles of easy sand); and we can set up a meet spot for Sunday morning at that point where the long straight section of Old Dale ends just before it starts up into the mining district. That is about where the trail from the camp site joins it. I would likely head into the Park itself on Sunday to do some exploring there, maybe try to tour the ranch if I can get there early enough.

For the Bradshaw the only real problem I see is if we start at the far eastern end it takes a long time to get out there to start. We could do it like the Mojave, spending Friday night someplace near Blythe and then running the whole trail east to west, which is supposed to be the better way for views of the mountains and Salton Sea. We could camp either near where we did in March 2007 (off Red Cloud Mine Rd.) or near Red Canyon, which looked pretty nice. The only thing with Red Cloud Mine is that it is a ways off of the Bradshaw itself. The spot was pretty nice, though.  If we wanted to see some of the east portion but still travel east to west, we could meet at Chiriaco Summit like we did in 2007, but instead of heading down Red Canyon go east on I-10 to either Wiley's Well or for something closer, the off ramp that leads to Graham Pass, and take that down to the Bradshaw. Might be a lot of highway driving though.

Maybe Mitch has some ideas, I think he knows these areas pretty well.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »
Don't know if this will be an issue, but this guy says they put in a locked gate.  Might need checking possible alternate route in?

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20831
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
I'm out already. Business trip 4-17 Jan.  :(
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
It occurs to me now, as I sit here in sunny San Diego freezing my butt off, that it will likely be quite cold at night in Joshua Tree if anyone wants to camp.  Just a thought.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »
I'm out that weekend too.  Mary is having her shoulder scoped the Thursday before so I'll tending to her.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »
Changed to the following weekend: 1/24-25  so more people can attend :D

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:10:23 PM by xtoolbox »

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
Looks like I'm out for the 17-18th after all. Heather and I will be driving to Phoenix to see her mother.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
I'd be in if it's on the 24th. of Jan. '09.  I'd go for Saturday only though.  Can't seem to convice my wife to camp out overnight (she's got this fear of lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!).  And snakes, scorpions, bugs, cactus, leaves, dirt, rocks...

I'm not giving up and still trying however.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: 1/24-25 Joshua Tree and/or Bradshaw
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
So is it Joshua Tree or Bradshaw?
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
I prefer Joshua Tree.  Wait, which Joshua Tree is it?  The one north of Palmsprings of Hwy. 62/247 or the one much farther north towards central Cali.?  If its the one of the 62, I'm in.  Otherwise it's too far for me.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Xterror

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
If I can find my wife a ride to work on Saturday the 24th, I'll go for the day.  She won't drive my car because it's stick shift  :(  I would prefer the closest ones to me, since Im going for 1 day.
Formerly Ed_monster

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
We're good to go.

Trixie the Wonder Dog, Noon, and their driver, Paul.  ;D

We're good to go both days and camping over night.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:55:12 PM by Paul »
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »
I'd be in if it's on the 24th. of Jan. '09.  I'd go for Saturday only though.  Can't seem to convice my wife to camp out overnight (she's got this fear of lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!).  And snakes, scorpions, bugs, cactus, leaves, dirt, rocks...

I'm not giving up and still trying however.

Get yourself a double bed sized airbed and a pump. That thing will fit just fine inside the truck. There's normally some of us camping in tents so the lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!) get their feed on them and very rarely attack the folks in their trucks. Since it's winter the sunsets early making it easy to find a quite rock earlier in the day for bathroom breaks.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
Mary's shoulder surgery got rescheduled so I'm back in!  Either place either weekend as its all in my backyard.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.