Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: The WildFire Thread: Converse/Need Assistance/Evac/Post your Status Here...  (Read 5394 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
I just wanted to start this thread as a place to discuss the fires that are inundating Southen California.  I do realize it will be difficult to post if you are directly involved and need to evacuate.  However, if you need help, need a place to stay, or just want to talk about what's going on, do it in here.  The fires are huge and I know we have members, some active, some not, that are probably impacted.  Additionally, the news is now reporting a small brush fire near Fallbrook off the 15 and I know we have active members in that area.

edit:  On top of talking about the fires, post up any knowledge you might have about being able to assist.  Whether it's donations, animal shelters, etc. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
My clan is safe and homes are not in an area of any potential threat.  My disaster response team was just put on standby for the north San Diego County fire so things could get real busy for me.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
My clan is safe and homes are not in an area of any potential threat.  My disaster response team was just put on standby for the north San Diego County fire so things could get real busy for me.
Good to hear about your clan, but stay safe if you get recalled.
R. Long

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
New one reported in Murrieta.  Evac area is extremely close, maybe even where the Fanaselles are.
R. Long

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
I just checked in on the Duffman and he's ok. Looks like the burn is south of him so that's a relief. I've been monitoring the 2M emergency nets for updates.
Isaiah 6:8

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
I can help if needed with anything. Im pretty much center of both sets of fires so not too bad of drive for me.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Thanks Rick, very thoughtful, in fact Celt had already offered info and help while I was away in Orange county today.  Traffic sucked coming home with all the road closures around me.

The fire is about 3 miles south west of me, so the Santa Ana winds are blowing it away, for now.  I am in a voluntary evacuation  zone right now but not too worried.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Thanks Rick, very thoughtful, in fact Celt had already offered info and help while I was away in Orange county today.  Traffic sucked coming home with all the road closures around me.

The fire is about 3 miles south west of me, so the Santa Ana winds are blowing it away, for now.  I am in a voluntary evacuation  zone right now but not too worried.
Great to hear, I'm glad Celt was able to get hold of you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
My neighbor and I stayed up on fire watch last night until the beer ran out.  There was no more room in the truck, and I will leave no beer behind.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
My neighbor and I stayed up on fire watch last night until the beer ran out.  There was no more room in the truck, and I will leave no beer behind.
Beer is a necessity in times like.

On another note, for those that aren't on social media, Joe posted some incredible pictures of the Murrieta fire. I don't want to steal his thunder, so I'm going to post only one. They were in the evac zone, but first responders were able to get the blaze under control and all is well.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/f0f433569ff8e1f7720f349624c1d735.jpg
The WildFire Thread: Converse/Need Assistance/Evac/Post your Status Here...

R. Long

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: The WildFire Thread: Converse/Need Assistance/Evac/Post your Status Here...
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
Just got back in.  Was out doing rescues until 12:45 this morning and back up there at 0600.  Have to be the liaison at the morning briefing tomorrow at 0700.  I think I got some good nighttime dashcam footage rolling down HWY 76 with both sides on fire and cinders blowing across in front of me.  Haven't had time to review it yet.  We were able to get a bunch of animals out (including a 1000 pound hog!).  I must have driven by Gird Road (leads to Duffman's place) at least ten times today.  So far, so good.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
Just got back in.  Was out doing rescues until 12:45 this morning and back up there at 0600.  Have to be the liaison at the morning briefing tomorrow at 0700.  I think I got some good nighttime dashcam footage rolling down HWY 76 with both sides on fire and cinders blowing across in front of me.  Haven't had time to review it yet.  We were able to get a bunch of animals out (including a 1000 pound hog!).  I must have driven by Gird Road (leads to Duffman's place) at least ten times today.  So far, so good.
That's awesome! It's time like this that the best in humanity comes out.

R. Long

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
Glad to hear that Duffman is ok, and glad to see you're doing well Tony! You rock! You and your team are no-doubt saving hundreds of animals' lives!

As Rick mentioned, the fire in Murrieta impacted us quite a bit. I was sitting at home, contemplating whether I should go cover the Bonsall fire, and decided I better stay put in case something broke out more local. Boy was I not expecting it to be THAT local! The fire originated about 3 miles east of my house, and was making a HARD run to the west, right for my street. For a couple of hours, there was nothing they could do to even slow it down. I was on scene doing my thing for the Murrieta Fire Department (getting tons of photos and video), and trying to keep track of my neighborhood at the same time. Once we heard that our neighborhood was under mandatory evacuations, Jessica left work and picked Gavin up from school (the school was also in the fire's path) and got him and our dogs over to my mother in law's house.

She returned home and packed her car up with a bunch of our cherished belongings while I hung out on a local hilltop with some of our city's fire and police leaders, so I could personally keep an eye on the situation. It also proved to be a perfect vantage point to get some great shots of several of the air drops taking place. As sundown approached, the conditions made a complete 180. The winds died down substantially, and the aircraft were able to put a ton of retardant ahead of the fire's front to slow it do a crawl. They ended up stopping the fire 1/4 of a mile from our front door.

I was convinced at that point that we'd be ok for the night, but we kept the cars packed up just in case.I spent the entire night awake, watching the wind speeds on my weather station, making sure they weren't picking up enough to throw embers around. By morning, a single helicopter was overhead, dousing left over hot spots. The weather forecast had changed, and they were no longer predicting strong winds on Friday afternoon, so we knew we'd be good.

Here is some dramatic video I shot at the fire, along with some dash cam footage (cut down), followed by some photos from the scene. The video is bad ass, because you can tell just how hard the wind is pushing the fire. In the dash cam footage, you get a great perspective of what it's like to be in the Xterra chasing this stuff around while listening to 3 radios at once. Trying to stay out of the way, and certainly not trying to get myself killed. Below are also some photos I shot of the fire.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:26 PM »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »