Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: New members here how do We start?  (Read 12416 times)

FrankB

Re: New members here how do We start?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »

BTW, I ended up with load range E tires.  I hear that they don't air down as well.  Is this true? 

When I bought my BFG A/Ts at Costco I went in asking for the highest load rating they had, thinking that the stronger sidewalls would be better. Once I told them how I was going to use them, and that I planned to air them down, they suggested that the load range D would be the better choice, especially given the overall weight of the rig. They thought that the sidewalls on the E rated tires would be too stiff for airing down.

StarGazer

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »
When I bought my BFG A/Ts at Costco I went in asking for the highest load rating they had, thinking that the stronger sidewalls would be better. Once I told them how I was going to use them, and that I planned to air them down, they suggested that the load range D would be the better choice, especially given the overall weight of the rig. They thought that the sidewalls on the E rated tires would be too stiff for airing down.

Wonderful...  Oh well, hopefully they'll still perform well enough. 

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
I originally had "D"s and they worked great.  At 60,000mi I replaced them and tried to get "D"s again but was told they were a special order item and I'd have to wait (America's Tire Store). After waiting I found out that BFG doesn't even show the "D" on their web site anymore. I went with "E"s for the same price and have aired-down once (at the Big Bear Xcursion in Sep., serious rock crawling) with no noticeable performance issues.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

StarGazer

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »
I originally had "D"s and they worked great.  At 60,000mi I replaced them and tried to get "D"s again but was told they were a special order item and I'd have to wait (America's Tire Store). After waiting I found out that BFG doesn't even show the "D" on their web site anymore. I went with "E"s for the same price and have aired-down once (at the Big Bear Xcursion in Sep., serious rock crawling) with no noticeable performance issues.

That's good to hear.  What PSI did you air down to? 

AV Xterra

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
I use deflators set to 18psi.

StarGazer

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Okay.  What's a good compressor for airing back up?  A buddy of mine had one a while back (don't remember the brand) and it took forEVER to air up.  I'm hoping that there are better ones out there. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread. 

AV Xterra

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
StarGazer, Air compressors can cover pretty wide scope, I would recommend starting a new thread so everyone can offer their opinions.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
Hey Paul? Whats wrong with the 1st Gen Xterra's?  You don't think they're capable?

For all you newcomers, I highly recommend that the first MOST IMPORTANT upgrade you can make is to purchase better All terrain, Mud/offroad tires, then shocks.  I almost spun out at the Rattlesnake Cyn. Xcursion Dec. '08 with the stock tires on icy sand.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD