Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: ** CANCELED ** Sunday April 17, 2011 - Anza Borrego Blair Valley  (Read 8251 times)

FrankB

CANCELED

I thought I would set up a day trip to Blair Valley in Anza Borrego if anyone is interested. I'm busy on Saturday so we'll do this one on Sunday, but if anyone wants to camp out on Saturday night there are lots of options in that area.

Blair Valley Loop, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, with hiking to Ghost Mountain (Marshal South home site), Morteros and Pictograph Hiking Trails.

Sunday April 17: This is a mild one, with probably more time out of the trucks hiking than driving. Blair Valley Loop is an easy 14 miles or so of mostly sandy trail, with 3 nice hikes along the way. We've done this one a few times in the past, there are picture threads in case you're wondering what it looks like.

This route should be stock and even 2WD friendly the entire way, but I have not been out there since late Fall 2010 to confirm.

We'll start out driving the long way around through Blair Valley to the trailhead for Yaquitepec, the site of Marshal South's family home on the top of Ghost Mountain. The hiking trail is a steep 1-mile each way, with a significant elevation gain on the way up. Wear sturdy shoes. At the top are the remains of the adobe home and South's elaborate water system. The views from the home site on the summit of Ghost Mountain are spectacular. The cactus flowers should be in bloom too.

You can read about Marshal South here: http://marshalsouth.com/index.asp

After lunch somewhere in the valley we'll drive to the trail head for the Pictograph Hiking Trail, an easy 1-mile each way trail that leads to a large boulder covered with Indian pictographs. This area sits at a much higher elevation than where we were in November (Fish Creek), the vegetation is completely different, and much more abundant. I have not seen it, but I understand that if we continue on past the Pictograph rock for another 1/4 mile or so there is a nice overlook view of the Carrizo Badlands. If time permits we can also do the half mile or so hike to the Morteros, the site of an old Indian village.

Camping Saturday Night: There are several options for camping on Saturday if anyone is interested. There is a State Park Primitive Camp at Blair Valley, with vault toilets. You can also camp in other parts of the valley, there are marked and unmarked spots in both Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley. Across S-2 and south a bit is the entrance to Chariot and Rodriquez Canyons, there are a few nice camp spots in there as well.  Let me know if you want some specific suggestions or ideas.

Meet Time / Spot: Sunday April 17 - 10:00 AM at Blair Valley Primitive Camp, Anza Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego County.
Approx. 5.5 miles south of Scissors Crossing (where S-2 crosses SR 78) on County Road S-2, look for the campground and vault toilet building on the left, just before mile post 23.

Reference:

Wells Guide to So Cal Backroads & 4WD Trails, number 53, page 191.

Comm:

FRS Channel 4, sub-code 24
CB Channel 24

Let me know if you're interested, and if you plan to camp the night before. Also, anyone coming from the San Diego area is welcome to caravan out with me.

Please post any comments, suggestions or questions.

Also - Please be sure to let me know you're coming so we don't wind up waiting too long at the meet spot.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:43:58 AM by FrankB »

FrankB

Re: Sunday April 17, 2011 - Anza Borrego Blair Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »
I know it's still early in the week, but it's looking to me as if no one is interested. Must not be the sort of thing that everyone who says we need more activity here wants. Oh well.

I've got some friends from the local photo club coming in a Jeep and a new Frontier, so unless anyone here says they'll be there for sure, I doubt we'll hang around the meet spot longer than it takes to use the facilities.  If you are coming, be sure to say something.

guywithpups

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Sunday April 17, 2011 - Anza Borrego Blair Valley
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
Sounds like a trip I'd be interested in and weather should be perfect for it, but unfortunately I have some issues with the suspension lift I installed this past weekend -- until I can get with Deaver to get things corrected, I'm trying to drive my X as little as possible. :-(

FrankB

Re: ** CANCELED ** Sunday April 17, 2011 - Anza Borrego Blair Valley
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »

* * CANCELED * *