Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)  (Read 40801 times)

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Re: 11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »
It will be good to see you, it's been a while.

So  . . . who else is coming?
We won't be be making this trip. I'm going to be in Stoddard Valley diggin up some yellow stuff.
You guys have a fun trip.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

SCsilverX

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »
i'll probably make this. i just went to anza this weekend and ran coyote canyon and a few other trails.

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
Re: Sturndog, LiaFriya and Kennedy will be there (Anza Borrego)
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »
Sturndog, LiaFriya and Kennedy will be there for Saturday and then a night run to Borrego Springs. Sunday we will be at the military cemetary in Riverside to see her father and brother. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
too Bad I have an volunteer obligation thats Saturday. It been a while, maybe Santa Barbara

topcat

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »
Been a member of the group since I got my Xterra a few years ago, but have never posted and have never been able to do a trip.  BUT, this time I will be there!!  I am bringing my 14 year old son along and we will be camping Saturday night.  Anyone else bringing any youngsters along?

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »

As far as purchasing a radio goes, the only requirement is that its an FRS?

Thanks

And that it has sub-channels. We're normally on the month of the run (11 in this case) and sub-channel 24 (for X).

2M amateur radio at 146.520 but you need a easy to get $14 license to do that.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:47:55 PM by Paul »
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »
And that it has sub-channels. We're normally on the month of the run (11 in this case) and sub-channel 23 (for X).

2M amateur radio at 146.520 but you need a easy to get $14 license to do that.  ;)

Actually, that would be sub-channel 24.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
Been a member of the group since I got my Xterra a few years ago, but have never posted and have never been able to do a trip.  BUT, this time I will be there!!  I am bringing my 14 year old son along and we will be camping Saturday night.  Anyone else bringing any youngsters along?

My two boys, ages 14 and 11, should be there.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

JohnL

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
I am new and would like to join the group for this run. I am going to bring my wife and granddaughter since this is an easy flat run and has a lot of interesting scenery. We should be up at Santa Isabel at 9:00AM and can meet up with you there. I have a black Xterra.

FrankB

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »
For those who have not been on this trip before, or have not been to Anza Borrego, here's a bit more info.

- The meet spot is at the Anza Borrego State Park Visitor Center. If you have not been there before you may want to wander into the Center itself and take a quick look around, and pick up the free map/brochure that they have (or buy a guidebook and/or map, the proceeds go to a good cause). There are real rest rooms at the Visitor Center. After that it's the vault toilets at Fish Creek Primitive Camp and then rocks and bushes the rest of the way.  I'm hoping we can leave the Visitor Center fairly early this year, because it is a bit of a drive to the trail head. I would like to roll out of there by 10:30AM at the latest.

- The trail head at the end of Split Mountain Road is 28 miles from the Visitor Center, so it does take some time to get out there. We'll stop to air down at the trail head, then head up Fish Creek about 12.5 miles before turning in to Sandstone Canyon. We'll make a few short stops in Fish Creek to check out the geology. There are some very interesting rock formations along the way.

- We know a good lunch spot about 1.5 miles in to Sandstone Canyon, figure we'll hit that around 1:00PM, but it's hard to say for sure. We've done this run several times, and it's always pretty leisurely, with a long stop for lunch.

- At the end of Sandstone Canyon there is a wide (relatively speaking) area where we can park and take a little hike. This past May I hiked up a different canyon than the one we did on last November's club run, it was really nice, I think better than the one we did last year.  Sandstone Canyon is a dead-end, so we'll be coming out the same way we came in.

- There is gas available in Borrego Springs, but there could be a line and prices could be high.  If you plan to fill up there be sure to allow enough time to do it before getting to the meet spot.  If you're coming in via Hwy 79 from I-15 at Temecula it would be best to top off there. If coming from San Diego fill up at Ramona at the latest.

- I plan to stop at the Julian Pie Company main bakery in Santa Ysabel when they open at 9:00AM. This is at the intersection of Hwy 78 and Hwy 79, it is not in the town of Julian. Going through Julian takes you well out of the way if headed towards the Visitor Center. The best way from Santa Ysabel to the Visitor Center is north on Hwy 79 to right on S-2, then left on S-22 through Ranchita and down the Montezuma Grade into Borrego Springs.

- For those of us who are not camping it is quite possible we'll get back to Split Mountain Road after dark, or close to it. A flashlight or headlamp is nice to have when airing back up.

FrankB

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »
I am new and would like to join the group for this run. I am going to bring my wife and granddaughter since this is an easy flat run and has a lot of interesting scenery. We should be up at Santa Isabel at 9:00AM and can meet up with you there. I have a black Xterra.

JohnL, welcome to the group, I'll look for you at the bakery. Where are you coming from?

JohnL

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »
JohnL, welcome to the group, I'll look for you at the bakery. Where are you coming from?

We are coming from Spring Valley and will be going up the 67.

HellerX

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Amy and I will be at the Visitor Center at 10. Looking forward to it!
I love it when a plan comes together!

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
Make sure to bring bug spray. Last year there were some big bugs  :o

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Xterra/Fish%20Creek%2011-2008/ReallyBigSpidersToo.jpg
11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
I saw more tarantulas in the space of 2 days last November than I've seen in all my years in the desert before that.   

Paul, that one doesn't look all that big. Besides, you can clearly see Trixie in the window of your X, she doesn't look all that concerned.

andyman

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
I am new to the site and will be attending on saturday. I will have 2 friends with me and maybe another friend with an H3 (hope you don't mind...haha).

I will be camping saturday night.

Is there anyone camping overnight who has a compressor so we can air-up sunday morning???

I have a propane BBQ grill....should I bring it or is someone already bringing one?
I also have firewood and can get more....does anyone have some sort of fire container like Frank says we need in the park???

Frank,     I will be coming from san diego and I am interested in meeting at your place and caravaning to the pie company and then to the park. Let me know details. email me your address, time to meet and whatever else you think i'll need.  andyman12688@hotmail.com

Andy