Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 6/20/2018 AAT Meeting Report  (Read 7879 times)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
6/20/2018 AAT Meeting Report
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:39:36 PM »
Fresh off the press!!

As attending my first ever AAT meeting, I learned a lot about the offroad community & the history on how our small community at SCCX is known in the Socal offroading community. I did introduce myself as the one of the new representatives for SCCX and new member to the AAT program. There are some key points that Steven at cal4wheeling & Greg Hoffman pointed out and brought to my attention.

First and foremost the key points that was brought for the AAT program:
- Motorcycle awareness.
There has been an increase of overlanding style motorcyclist activity in our trails. To be on the lookout for them when servicing or just riding along at our trails.

-Irrigation Drain survey.
    Due to recent rainfall & water activity up at Big bear area, to be on the lookout for irrigation drain pipe conditions. If we find any damaged or misplaced drain pipes, to please report them so SBNF can open a project to get them repaired/replaced.

- Trail club signs
    We need to check the posted sign at the beginning/ending of our trail to be in tip top shape. Any damage or heavy wear needs to be reported to be repaired. The community needs to know what club represents what trail just incase something is found on the trail that needs our attention.

- First aid kits
    Greg announced that with the extra budget we have, that he will be supplying each club a hefty first aid kit for the clubs to have on hand during volunteer events. He brought up safety priority quite alot during the meeting. To many accidents and unnecessary emergency calls are happening. He wants to make sure we assess the injury to know the course of action to take. If its minor, then have an experience first aid responder to take care of the injury. If it's absolutely necessary to call in a emergency attention, ensure to provide all necessary information to dispatcher to ensure the injury is taken care of in a timely manner.

-Tailgate meeting before trail runs.
    Safety is a huge concern for the SBNF services that want to take precautionary measure to ensure everyone has a safe & enjoyable experience. Recommended to have a tailgate meeting with the group prior to heading into the trail to make sure everyone in the group is in the same page when it comes to safety, rules, comms etc.

-Rooster
    Greg wants a rooster from us to see how many current active member we have. Not only to get a body count but as well for insurance purposes. Will get with Eric on this.

-Cleghorn survey
    Currently a survey is requested by the SBNF to point out dangerous spots on the trail. There have been numerous injuries & vehicle accidents reported due to trail conditions. He would like several survey to be conducted. We can possibly host a small trail run to cleghorn hopefully in the near future.

SBNF Safety measure tips:
Ensure to have the SBNF emergency frequency on hand to monitor live conditions during any sort of trail runs. I will be requesting the SBNF frequencies and share them with all of you.
Unattended fires. Greg did point out on what to do when a small open fire is found unattended. Make sure to take action right away as an unattended fire could get dangerous and start a forest fire. Please extinguish fire as soon as possible & report it to SBNF dispatcher to investigate a unattended open fire on forest grounds.

Now the important part.
There has been a lack of activity from us. Per Greg, since we do represent one of the longest trails in the SBNF service road, but also have one of the most active areas for outdoor shooting ranges. Its very important to ensure cleanliness & constant monitoring at our trail due to the shooting range. These spots can get chaotic in some point as many shooters may go under the influence. Due to that, its becoming a high traffic area.  It was brought as well to my attention that we were marked to drop the trail due to no activity. I did ensure to him that I will get the community back up and running. He brought up Terry ( i have no idea who that is), im assuming a former or inactive SCCX member. I will be in the planning for a 2NO2 survey late July so keep an eye out for that.

Other than that, we did get our shirts in for those who ordered. I was also given updated paper maps, hats, decals and safety vest. Anyone who wants some swag, please let me know and will get them over to you. As far as the shirts, they have been called for. Those who order, please contact me so I can send them your way.

Again, it was a very informal meeting that I enjoyed. Please any questions/feedback from your guys would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get this group back to having constant fun activities ( if our schedules let us). Thanks for the level of trust you all bestow on me to represent this club.

Edwin

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: 6/20/2018 AAT Meeting Report
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
Thanks for stepping up Edwin,
please set up a trail day or weekend clean-up
It's been to long since we pulled up the front half of the Vehicle, we need to do are duty
we don't want to be that group that loses our trail
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Thanks for stepping up Edwin,
please set up a trail day or weekend clean-up
It's been to long since we pulled up the front half of the Vehicle, we need to do are duty
we don't want to be that group that loses our trail

Most definitely.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:50:51 AM »
 The open areas to shoot seem to be the biggest thorn in 2N02's side. They need constant maintenance since people travel out there year round to shoot. Unfortunately not everyone cleans up their brass and used targets and it piles up really fast. I wonder if we could get with Greg to get more signage to pack your trash out to hopefully increase awareness at the shooting spots and entry/exit points. I doubt placing bins in the areas would be a good idea because a volunteer would have to constantly keep them clear. Maybe suggesting more L.E. Ranger enforcement to spot the litterbugs when they leave and cite them. A litter ticket can run upwards of $1000 and word travels fast. Maybe some of the gun shops in San Bernardino can post some pictures of all the mess on a message board for awareness and websites like AR-15.com Calguns etc all are great places we can attach photos and descriptions to increase awareness and bring about some public shame to those who are doing this. The next organized or unorganized trip out there let's get a lot of before photos and get on the internet with them.
Isaiah 6:8

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Great report Edwin . Thanks for stepping up and representing SCCX .

We all need a little kick in the butt now and then.  Then we really shine.

Post up a clean up date, and they will come.

Cleghorn is always a favorite trail and we should be able to give SBNF an excellent report.

Let's support the 'New Blood' boys and girls!
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Major thanks for stepping up and attending the meeting Edwin, and for restoring their faith in us as a group. Everyone in this group is willing to do more than our part, we just need someone (like you) calling the shots and organizing events, and for that I say thank you! I look forward to the upcoming date of a run/clean up, and I'm more than willing to do anything you need before or after then. It's still a bit of a drive for me, but I understand that I am much closer to the trail than folks in SD or LA counties, so just let me know what I can do to help.

I agree with Celt that we should formulate a plan and ask for some assistance in regards to the shooting areas. The trail itself is very well traveled and well maintained by the forest service. Aside from picking up a few pieces of trash, hauling up the Oldsmobile, and repairing the "stay on trails" sign, it hasn't needed much from us at all. But those shooting areas... major PITA. I'll bet we could get signage, and maybe even some increased patrols from the USFS law enforcement guys if we asked and showed that we were making a valiant effort to keep the areas clean.

beedee

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Thanks Edwin, I'd be down to come out and help clean up the trail (if it falls on a Sunday).

What do the decals say/look like? I'd be down with one, I always love decals. :)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
The open areas to shoot seem to be the biggest thorn in 2N02's side. They need constant maintenance since people travel out there year round to shoot. Unfortunately not everyone cleans up their brass and used targets and it piles up really fast. I wonder if we could get with Greg to get more signage to pack your trash out to hopefully increase awareness at the shooting spots and entry/exit points. I doubt placing bins in the areas would be a good idea because a volunteer would have to constantly keep them clear. Maybe suggesting more L.E. Ranger enforcement to spot the litterbugs when they leave and cite them. A litter ticket can run upwards of $1000 and word travels fast. Maybe some of the gun shops in San Bernardino can post some pictures of all the mess on a message board for awareness and websites like AR-15.com Calguns etc all are great places we can attach photos and descriptions to increase awareness and bring about some public shame to those who are doing this. The next organized or unorganized trip out there let's get a lot of before photos and get on the internet with them.
They are absolutely the thorn in our side.  When Edwin and I went up last time, we spent the most time at the primary shooting spot.  We cleaned up large trash and as much brass as we could.  However, we couldn't take much of the large items because we both were in our X's, we needed a truck.  Additionally, to properly clean up the shooting areas, we'd need rakes.  It's completely impractical to pick up every single shell/casing by hand in that area. 

The biggest part, here, is education.  There is distinct difference between shooters and people who shoot.  Shooters are generally out there to enhance their craft.  They shoot at targets and are generally safe to be around.  They also tend to pick up after themselves.  People who shoot go out and shoot at whatever they can, with little regard to what's going on around them.  Now, I'm always armed, so I'm not worried about walking up on people who are shooting, but it's going to be little sketchy to approach these areas if people are using them.  Edwin and I passed a camp where people were in camo.  I'm pretty sure they were shooting, I heard shots as we approached the camp and after we passed.  They were acting pretty shady when we drove by.  These are people I would classify as the "people who shoot."  These are the people who trash the shooting areas.  We need to nip this in the bud, somehow.  On FB and on CalGuns, I preach about cleaning up after yourself when shooting, but it's doing nothing.  People who go out and shoot at washers after downing a case of beer are destroying our shooting areas.  Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I personally believe the rangers need to have more of a presence in those areas.  I'm all about the rights associated with the 2A, but ignorant people are slowly killing our shooting areas.  I'll get of my soap box now. /rant/

Back on topic, I pulled this from the development plan of the USFS website.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5445681.pdf
Arrastre – The SRP location is along Forest Road 2N02 (Burns Canyon Road)
approximately 3 miles from the junction of Highway 38 (see enclosed map), near the
communities of Lucerne Valley and Baldwin Lake.
This is an actual designated site, by the USFS, so it's well know.  We also need to pay attention if people are out there shooting during high fire danger time periods.  This is a ticketable offense and I think it should be enforced.  Additionally, if we someone utilizing a shooting area other than the one designated, something should be said.

With all of that being said, if I'm town when we make the next trip, you can count me in.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
Thank you all for the love and feedback. Rick & Celts, I will definitely put that area a high priority in our " attention" category. If all goes well to maybe we can host a "post" meet at the shooting area to have a BBQ with shooting weapons at targets involved. Im currently packing for a family trip so I will be will in full schedule mode this coming Monday.

Again, thanks to all for your time. Cant wait to get this little big group of offroadrtd back on the maps.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
As soon as fire restrictions hit the forest (usually around July 1st, but varies depending on the weather), I believe the shooting areas are also closed down. In all honesty, that's the best time to clean up the spots, because IN THEORY they won't get trashed again until the late fall/early winter, when the areas open back up. The reality is that people will continue to go up there and shoot, but like Rick said, that's against the law at that point and we can report back that there is evidence of shooting activity that we keep having to clean up. I'd think we can use that for ammo (pun intended) to ask for signs, extra patrols, etc. We just need to convince them that we are on top of maintaining the areas regularly, and then they'll take our word for it that it's an issue.

EJsarus

• 5th gen T4R
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
Good input.
Should we keep the brainstorm planning for our cleanup/survey trail run in this thread or should I start a new one? Also, will this be privately just us or should I post it in the facebook group?

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
Good input.
Should we keep the brainstorm planning for our cleanup/survey trail run in this thread or should I start a new one? Also, will this be privately just us or should I post it in the facebook group?
Which FB group?  I think it would be fine sharing in the Southern California Club Xterra FB page,  I'd avoid SCXF or SCX.  I'm pretty sure members of those groups probably won't want to volunteer for something that they have no stock in.  I'm sure Knightrider can create an event on FB, once you've determined a date.  I'll screenshot it and share it on IG.  We also need to reach to someone who might have a truck.  Some of that debris is simply not safe transporting inside the vehicle with occupants. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:55:29 AM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
We have a few frontier guys on here that might be able to chip in.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit