Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 4X4 Choices? **Updated**  (Read 3516 times)

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
4X4 Choices? **Updated**
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
So I must have had some extra brain cycles and was thinking that if someone gave me (I can dream) all the needed funds to buy a 2016 true 4X4 (rugged, clearance, 4 lo, etc) what would be my choices in the US  today since so many have recently died off.  Here is what comes to mind, any additions?

SUV ~small/mid size
Toyota 4 Runner
Jeep Wrangler
Mercede$ G Wagon
Jeep Grand Cherokee??? has 4 low but is unibody based correct?

Pickup ~ small/mid size
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier
Chevy/GMC Colorado, etc.

SUV ~full size
Toyota Sequoia
Nissan Armada
Chevy/GMC Tahoe, etc.
Ford Expetition
Land Cruiser/Lexus
Land Rover LR4

Pickup ~Fill Size
Ford F Series
Chevy/GMC Silverado series, etc.
Toyota Tundra
Nissan Titan
Dodge Ram series

I don't know whats still available in the 4x4 van world for the likes of a Sportsmobile style.  Maybe soon we will be able to add the Ford Ranger/Bronco.  Any ideas who will give me the funds?

Update 4/21/16
RIP Section
Xterra
Pathfinder
FJ
Cherokee
Ranger
Explorer
Defender
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:42:32 AM by JeffBett »

Ruination Fan

• 4wd Pts: 12
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra
Re: 4X4 Choices?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
Mercedes = G-Wagon (Gelandewagen) and the Unimog, the later comes with portal axles ....and a rumered G500 4x4 Squared (supposedly non US, but who knows they said that about tbe Gwagon 6x6) will also have portal axles.

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Does the G Wagon fall under mid or full size?

Ruination Fan

• 4wd Pts: 12
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »
Classified as a midsize I believe. Although, you can find them in the Short Wheel Base that were imported before Benz starting selling them stateside (MY2000 off the top of my head).  They came in Short Wheel Base, Long Wheel Base, and a coupe/cabrio version as well. Unimogs also came in awesome configurations

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re: 4X4 Choices? **Updated**
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:15:36 AM »
What's considered a "True 4x4"?

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
From my forum time, I kind of understand to be a more or less true 4x4 for the off road trails we do, it usually has body on frame for ruggedness, They are usually modifiable enough to add more ground clearance without replacing the whole suspension. (I have seen high ground clearance Pintos)  One of the main requirements is a true 4 low, most all wheel drives do not.  I think they typically are all RWD 4x4 systems as well.

I read an article on the new Cherokee and by the design it seems like the max lift is an inch without replacing way to much.  It does have a pretty full 4x4 drive train though its  a weird hybrid.

There are many vehicles that say they have 4 wheel drive but are often all wheel drive.  AWD vehicles by definition do not have a low range.   "The industry had more-or-less settled on calling longitudinal “truck” systems 4WD/4×4 and “car” systems (especially transverse systems) AWD."

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
Based on your method of approach, requirements and need for a 2016....
...just save yourself the trouble and get the Wrangler.

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
I was actually leaning more towards the 4 Runner.  If someone is GIVING me the funds, then they will probably bankroll a trip from Prudoe to Tierra del Fuego and I thought there would be better support internationally for a Toyota.  My friend has an 08 Wrangler and it does take him almost ANYWHERE but he has had to repair many items on it.  I am not a big fan of the noisy plastic roof and I think the visibility is not as good either.