Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What is Geocaching?  (Read 3698 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
What is Geocaching?
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:04 AM »

A few members at SCCX enjoy geocaching.

What is geocaching you say?  

Well rather than fumbling over my keyboard trying to explain it, I will let the experts a Wikipedia lay out a brief explanation:

Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (Tupperware or similar) or ammunition boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little value. Geocaching shares many aspects with benchmarking, trigpointing, orienteering, treasure-hunting, letterboxing, and waymarking.

Geocaches are currently placed in over 200 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica, and the International Space Station. After more than 12 years of activity there are over 1.7 million active geocaches published on various websites. There are over 5 million geocachers worldwide.

As well as an informational video from our friends over at Groundspeak.

What is Geocaching??

A regular sized cache(ammo can), logbook, and articles of "swag"

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/elee1980/geocaching.jpg
What is Geocaching?

Another great resource for everything geocaching (besides fellow SCCX member and Cache-Guru Max Power  ;D) is the geocaching.com website that is hosted by Groundspeak.  

Groundspeak is the global resource for everything geocaching, and the keeper of the website where 99.9% of the geocaches you will find/hide are kept.

We will also post a few links to some of the Groundspeak informational videos to help everyone at SCCX who is interested in this great outdoor pursuit.  

So, watch out for those muggles, and get outside and play!!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:51:39 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: What is Geocaching?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/buffalobum/Geocaching.gif
What is Geocaching?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.