Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: What to do in Julian, CA  (Read 5923 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
What to do in Julian, CA
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
Thinking of taking the family there this Sat.  I've heard here that they have good apple pies.  Never got a chance to attend those Xcursions.  So, what is there to do there?  How do I make it a fun drive for 3 boys ages 9, 6, & 4?  Oh , and the wife...
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
I go there for pie, I've heard there is a mine tour.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

FrankB

Re: What to do in Julian, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Mostly you walk around and look at all the "old time" stuff.  There are horse-drawn carriage rides, and people dressed up in Old Western garb.  The mine tour is supposed to be fun, I think it's designed with kids in mind.  Never done it, but I think you can find info on the internet.  It's pretty crowded up there this time of year.  We drove through town around 2pm on Sunday and it was jammed.  Lots of traffic, crawled through town.  Also a lot of people when we drove through around 4:30pm on Saturday, but traffic was not so bad.  Suggest you get there early, and expect to walk some unless you have truly excellent parking karma. 

For apple pie you have a few choices:

• Downtown (such as it is) Julian has Mom's.  When we drove through on Sunday the line was over a block long.  No kidding. I think that the Julian Pie Company also has a store right in town, but I can't remember exact location.  Expect it to be jammed as well.
  • In Wynola, a few miles down the road from Julian on Hwy 78 (heading towards Santa Ysabel, Ramona, San Diego) is another Mom's outlet, with good parking and not as long of a line.  It's all decorated up right now, and there are things around there to check out with the kids.  Lots of tables, some inside, some outside.
  • On the corner of Hwy 78 and 79 in Santa Ysabel is the Julian Pie Company's main bakery.  Good parking available, and some tables out front.  This is where I always pick up the pie for the Anza Borrego trips, since it's right on my way.

If you're coming into Julian from Hemet on Hwy 79 you'll hit these in the reverse order of how I've listed them above.  First Santa Ysabel, then Wynola, then the town of Julian.  Personally I prefer Julian Pie Company product to Mom's, but they are both good.  With kids, I think your best bet may be the Wynola location.

Another idea, if the weather is nice, is to pick up pie(s) to go, either in Wynola or Santa Ysabel, and find a picnic table at Inaja Memorial Park, on Hwy 78.  There is a nice little nature trail there, along with Forest Service bathrooms.

There is also a wolf sanctuary / rescue thing of some sort, and I think they offer tours as well. Don't know the details, but I'm sure they can be found on the internet.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
I say you blow through Julian and hit the western side of Anza. Maybe the wind caves and there's a short hike to some pictographs. Then swing by to get some grub and head home.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
Irwin...

Don't....visit Wynola Pizza Co....expensive and poor service/pizza.

Do....visit Julian Pie Co....worth the wait and long line, grab the Boysenberry Dutch Apple, a la mode of course...you won't be sorry.  Just do it once and judge the wait after....

Don't....miss the chance to check out the old Julian Jail...and yes, there's a geocache there...it's a Virtual Cache so don't look for a container.

Do....drive to Lake Cuyamaca and check out the views...if you have time, the Stonewall Peak hike is awesome, although probably better without the little ones.

Don't....wait to buy a pie in Julian....there are pies at the base of the mountain in Santa Ysabel, at Dudley's Baker and the Julian Pie Co. shop there.

Do....remember there is gas in Julian....not the cheapest of course, but the nearest gas is down the mountain in Santa Ysabel.

Don't....miss the opportunity to walk both sides of the street in Julian....LOTS of shops, and check out Pistols and Petticoats for sure.

Do....drive slowly through "downtown," a lot of skittish pedestrians in Julian (thin air + pie = crazy tourists)

Don't....forget to drive Sunrise Highway (on the way to Cuyamaca) through the town of Mt. Laguna...a beautiful ridge line drive that winds through pine forests, lots of "view filled" pull outs as you drive south....you can make it a loop to Highway 8 south, and travel west from there to freeway 5 and home.

Do....remember there aren't any "public" restrooms in Julian, plan pit stops accordingly, especially with kids drinking juice boxes on the road.

Have fun...let us know how it goes.  :)

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
Awesome advice!  I can always count on Frank and John for the inside scoop on former Xcursion trip locations.  Thanks guys.  I will definitely post up some pics later.  I am curious about those wind caves...
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
Irwin...

Don't....visit Wynola Pizza Co....expensive and poor service/pizza.

Do....visit Julian Pie Co....worth the wait and long line, grab the Boysenberry Dutch Apple, a la mode of course...you won't be sorry.  Just do it once and judge the wait after....

Don't....miss the chance to check out the old Julian Jail...and yes, there's a geocache there...it's a Virtual Cache so don't look for a container.

Do....drive to Lake Cuyamaca and check out the views...if you have time, the Stonewall Peak hike is awesome, although probably better without the little ones.

Don't....wait to buy a pie in Julian....there are pies at the base of the mountain in Santa Ysabel, at Dudley's Baker and the Julian Pie Co. shop there.

Do....remember there is gas in Julian....not the cheapest of course, but the nearest gas is down the mountain in Santa Ysabel.

Don't....miss the opportunity to walk both sides of the street in Julian....LOTS of shops, and check out Pistols and Petticoats for sure.

Do....drive slowly through "downtown," a lot of skittish pedestrians in Julian (thin air + pie = crazy tourists)

Don't....forget to drive Sunrise Highway (on the way to Cuyamaca) through the town of Mt. Laguna...a beautiful ridge line drive that winds through pine forests, lots of "view filled" pull outs as you drive south....you can make it a loop to Highway 8 south, and travel west from there to freeway 5 and home.

Do....remember there aren't any "public" restrooms in Julian, plan pit stops accordingly, especially with kids drinking juice boxes on the road.

Have fun...let us know how it goes.  :)

As a native of said location, I think GhostX hit the nail on the head for interesting and fun things to do without too much hassle. If you get behind a bunch of rednecks in pickup trucks drivin real slow, give them a break as they might well be my kin.

The one other detail is I do not have the inside track on where any corn liquor is being produced.........
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:50:10 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Celt

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
Thinking of taking the family there this Sat.  I've heard here that they have good apple pies.  Never got a chance to attend those Xcursions.  So, what is there to do there?  How do I make it a fun drive for 3 boys ages 9, 6, & 4?  Oh , and the wife...

So did you head up there on Saturday?

Toro

Re: Re: Re: What to do in Julian, CA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
Let's see if I did this right...  

Didn't go here
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/09505004ecf29ea06dcaffbb959edfca.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Got here early and there was no line..
   30 min later it looked like this.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/f5c25796139652005ba8b9069fe030bc.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Remembered some good advise and dropped a duce while here.

That was.....Carmel Dutch Apple
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/2759b63bf290627629a3e407a3060c9d.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Walked all of this...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/da638d7968b471b7093f213a7b4643ec.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Checked out the shops
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/2850228e4ce8cb7f5a743b22f5cd1eab.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Went into this place....
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/ef474fceb010d25a6e54cd119dcba73d.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

...cost me a $50 hand bag...
Thanks Ghost.

Did come in here for a surprisingly good Buffalo Burger.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/03b161175d6ff049ceaa2710104fde9f.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Drove to the bottom of the hill and got my to go pie here..
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/016f747cc2343975a83711720efb3a7c.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Didn't want to do the Cuyamaca thing..4 days in the desert and all...
  And had a full tank of gas.

Nice place, great way to end our trip.

Toro

Re: Re: What to do in Julian, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
BTW... The caves are bad a$$
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/c6f3136d57abebb8f6635bb2d9c7d244.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/6c1c385d01090284d114b0f2af5c9ff5.jpg
What to do in Julian, CA

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
You missed the jail geocache...9 out of 10, not bad. ;)

Wynola Pizza picture made us spit smore pieces into the fire...lol.

Great pics!!

"Gimme toro, gimme some more.." Queens Of The Stone Age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:25:41 AM »
Buffalo Bills used to be" Kendall's Korner" back in the 80's and into the early 90's. Seems like the infamous Buffalo Burger has always been on the menu, that and "taco Tuesday" but I doubt they can compete with the prices I used to pay for a meal and a cup of coffee. As I remember it but will not swear to it nor testify in anyplace other than of ill repute, that place used to be home to many an after hours indulgence of undisclosed spirituous beverages of unknown origins. Too bad you didn't stop by and visit the old town jail, they closed it down after some guy they locked up froze to death but lookin at it is easy to understand why. Too bad I didn't see this post earlier but computers and I are at constant odds much to my continued consternation.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:35 AM »
There's a really cool Virtual Cache at the old jail site.  Daph and I visited there, some pretty cool history for sure.
KD6DCI

Celt

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Was it a "visit" or were you a former "guest"????

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
LOL...visit.

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI