Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread  (Read 16336 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: CANVAZ 2018 Planning Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 07:12:50 PM »
So looking back,
 Joe suggested 10/5 -10/8 ?? can we set those dates in Stone??

If we are doing AB there is a lot of options for camping and trails

Apple Valley Campground has toilets , no water , close to a lot of trails and FREE
Vallecito Regional Park
Agua Caliente
or BLM Free  & no nothing

Just throwing out some Ideas
not trying to take over >:(
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
There are several campgrounds by the Colorado River that have facilities.  We should anticipate a large crowd.  I will be at one north of Blythe at the beginning of March and will be able to give a review.  I am happy to help coordinate, lead trips, etc.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:42 AM »
Does anyone know the typical number of rigs that show up and possibly the percentages from each CA/NV/AZ.  The numbers makes a difference as to they type of runs done.  I have not been to one of these yet so I don't know if the group is split up into multiple runs rotating each day so there are not 35 trucks all on one run taking 10 hours to go 5 miles.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
Does anyone know the typical number of rigs that show up and possibly the percentages from each CA/NV/AZ.  The numbers makes a difference as to they type of runs done.  I have not been to one of these yet so I don't know if the group is split up into multiple runs rotating each day so there are not 35 trucks all on one run taking 10 hours to go 5 miles.
CANVAZ this year had one blue-ish run (I'll get into that more, later) on Friday, three different rated runs on Saturday, and one or two on Sunday. 

This was the list from this year, so there are quite a few trucks usually.  We'll definitely need to get different levels of trails planned.

Arizona Attending:
pinchel (Rob)
PitSnipe (Kyle)
Pax (Eric)
Clifford
m.sainz12
XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin)
Grey Spider
Azfronty99 (100% sure)
hawairish (Patrick)
14frontier
AZGeorge

California Attending
CAWoody  (overwhelming HELL YA I'M IN)
Robert B.
JFanaselle
RikRong
Sage Bromax
VetxSquared (Definite maybe)
Edwin562 +2
RBduffer

Nevada Attending
Rogue Overland (5 Rigs)

Utah Attending
DaveN
GDPearson

Colorado Attending
unixmandt

We also need to make sure we pre-run each trail and know exactly where it's going and what the trail is like. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:36:37 PM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »
This was 2015 , post #2
http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=3311.0
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Many if the comments we got at the last CANVAZ was to pick somewhere that wasn't too heavy on the desert experience since the NV and AZ guys live in it.  Maybe there's something in the San Diego Mountains that could be a change from the typical Big Bear trails.  Hungry Valley has some back country trails but most are easy rated, but that may be too far for the AZ guys to come.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
Many if the comments we got at the last CANVAZ was to pick somewhere that wasn't too heavy on the desert experience since the NV and AZ guys live in it.  Maybe there's something in the San Diego Mountains that could be a change from the typical Big Bear trails.  Hungry Valley has some back country trails but most are easy rated, but that may be too far for the AZ guys to come.
Then we should stick with Hanna Flats Big Bear or similar
no real forrest off roading down here
lots of non-desert wheeling up there

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Most the mountain trail in SD County are ruined by locked gates so the alien smugglers can't use them to bypass border patrol.

JeffBett

• 06 Xterra
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
I assume you are only interestd in doing it in So Cal. but there is a lot of great stuff around Bishop and Mammoth and at the time of year the fall colors are fantastic.  I did a trip that weekend in 2017 and had a great time. 

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »
I assume you are only interestd in doing it in So Cal. but there is a lot of great stuff around Bishop and Mammoth and at the time of year the fall colors are fantastic.  I did a trip that weekend in 2017 and had a great time.

Pre running comes to mind as an issue with holding it here, but other than that....I'd love to try it up there.  I attended the CANVAZ in 12 when it was held in Big Bear, and we had an awesome time, but I think we could totally benefit by broadening our horizons a little too....just my .02

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
Trying to zero in on a location that has the most breadth of trail experience for the group of hosts should be a critical focus. 

Having experienced trail leaders for your chosen trail selections will free up other paths of resistance to organziation/coordination/communication to the masses.

9 months away...location should be nailed down soon... ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
"9 months away...location should be nailed down soon"

Instead of a bunch of different runs Cerro Gordo unless Sage Bromax is already in the planning phase for a 2.0 of that run?

If we go to Big Bear I'd be glad to lead a John Bull/Gold Mountain kinda deal.

If we go to Anza Borrego I'll be your Huckleberry for Pinyon Mountain.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
1) count me in for helping with the planning, and for potentially leading a trail run or two
2) With the concerns around making sure we have plenty of qualified trail leaders who have run these trails before, we are really narrowing our choices down to Big Bear or the Anza Borrego / Ocotillo Wells area. Either one is fine with me. I live almost exactly halfway between the two locations, so "scouting" will not be an issue for me.

Between the two, it's a tough choice. I know we want to "wow" our guests with a cool area, but in 2012, I seem to remember only having a few out of state folks in attendance. To answer JeffBett's question about the ratio of who comes, it really seems to be about 90%-95% locals to the state, and 5% to 10% guests of varying skill levels and rig capabilities. I only remember meeting two people from AZ on the 2012 trip, and one was bone stock and the other was highly modified. It always seems like folks from the other states are really excited about attending, and then fall out toward the actual dates (that includes us CA folks traveling to AZ or NV, too).

I kind of like the idea of AB/Ocotillo, because we can establish a big community campsite and those who are "less social" can hang out on the outskirts. If I've learned anything from my favorite trips with this group, it's that the food and fun in camp is what makes the trip. This is where we can really shine, because we do that stuff really good. A big community breakfast or a pot-luck style dinner is easier achieved in a big desert setting than it would be in a mountain established campground. If we do Big Bear and camp somewhere like Hanna Flats, we end up in designated campsites and have to wander around to be together. It tends to lead to little cliques hanging out together instead of one big fun group. Plus, depending on who our neighbors end up being, we can get a little too loud for them. Those guys from the other states do see a lot of the desert, but they also like to wheel in the desert. AB/Ocotillo is some world-class desert, with plenty to see and do. I think the area is capable of keeping even the most desert-savvy folks nicely entertained for a few days.

So I'll make my vote official: I suggest camping just outside of Anza Borrego Park, the weekend of 10/5, 10/6, 10/7 and 10/8. We could do a big group camp Friday and Saturday nights, with an optional Sunday run and even an optional Sunday night camp if anyone wants to stay the 3rd night (I'd think most people will probably go home on Sunday).

I'd also like to suggest a pot-luck style dinner on Saturday night, where everyone just makes a signature dish/item and ensures they have enough to feed themselves/their crew, along with a few more. Not everyone needs to make enough food for the entire group, but if everyone makes a little more than they need, there will be PLENTY of food and we'll all get to try something new and see cool ideas/recipes from other people. I'd be happy to take the lead on planning/coordinating the pot-luck if you guys want.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:48:53 PM by JFanaselle »

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »
1) count me in for helping with the planning, and for potentially leading a trail run or two
2) With the concerns around making sure we have plenty of qualified trail leaders who have run these trails before, we are really narrowing our choices down to Big Bear or the Anza Borrego / Ocotillo Wells area. Either one is fine with me. I live almost exactly halfway between the two locations, so "scouting" will not be an issue for me.

Between the two, it's a tough choice. I know we want to "wow" our guests with a cool area, but in 2012, I seem to remember only having a few out of state folks in attendance. To answer JeffBett's question about the ratio of who comes, it really seems to be about 90%-95% locals to the state, and 5% to 10% guests of varying skill levels and rig capabilities. I only remember meeting two people from AZ on the 2012 trip, and one was bone stock and the other was highly modified. It always seems like folks from the other states are really excited about attending, and then fall out toward the actual dates (that includes us CA folks traveling to AZ or NV, too).

I kind of like the idea of AB/Ocotillo, because we can establish a big community campsite and those who are "less social" can hang out on the outskirts. If I've learned anything from my favorite trips with this group, it's that the food and fun in camp is what makes the trip. This is where we can really shine, because we do that stuff really good. A big community breakfast or a pot-luck style dinner is easier achieved in a big desert setting than it would be in a mountain established campground. If we do Big Bear and camp somewhere like Hanna Flats, we end up in designated campsites and have to wander around to be together. It tends to lead to little cliques hanging out together instead of one big fun group. Plus, depending on who our neighbors end up being, we can get a little too loud for them. Those guys from the other states do see a lot of the desert, but they also like to wheel in the desert. AB/Ocotillo is some world-class desert, with plenty to see and do. I think the area is capable of keeping even the most desert-savvy folks nicely entertained for a few days.

So I'll make my vote official: I suggest camping just outside of Anza Borrego Park, the weekend of 10/5, 10/6, 10/7 and 10/8. We could do a big group camp Friday and Saturday nights, with an optional Sunday run and even an optional Sunday night camp if anyone wants to stay the 3rd night (I'd think most people will probably go home on Sunday).

I'd also like to suggest a pot-luck style dinner on Saturday night, where everyone just makes a signature dish/item and ensures they have enough to feed themselves/their crew, along with a few more. Not everyone needs to make enough food for the entire group, but if everyone makes a little more than they need, there will be PLENTY of food and we'll all get to try something new and see cool ideas/recipes from other people. I'd be happy to take the lead on planning/coordinating the pot-luck if you guys want.

^^^^^
ROCK "N" ROLL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^
ROCK N ROLL X2!!

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.