Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: April 25/26 - Idyllwild Run  (Read 18169 times)

Lightspur

• 4wd Pts: 1
April 25/26 - Idyllwild Run
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:40:29 AM »
Per Frank's recommend, I'm starting a new thread on this month's run.

I posted the route details on Mark's previous thread "April run Idyllwild".

Idyllwild is by Hemet and is where you take the Palm Sprgs Tram to. We are going to meet in Hemet, but if you are coming from the high Desert you may want to hook up with us at Hwy 243 @ Pine Cove about 12:00 - Pm me for details.  Anyone comming from San Diego can overnite Friday at my house Off the 215 frwy in Murrieta.

This is going to be an easy & very scenic run - great for the family/kids.  We are going to go through high mtn. chaparral, pines, boulders, and creeks. We are stopping at one of the most awesome fire tower vistas you can find. Maybe a goldmine, a lake, and possibly a run/view of the Esperanza fire area (access my be limited). I am going to try to see if we can get to the site of where those firefighters died to pay tribute!

I am doing a pre-run this Sat. for anyone who wants to come along, there are lots of jump off spots if you need to get home. Pm me if you can do the pre-run.

I will repost the exact route and approx point to point times after the pre-run.
This is a Mtn. run (2k-6.5k elev.) and it may get cold overnite, plan accordingly.

Okay post up - I need to start getting a head count - ("Mark" you started this, so I better see your name, or I'll send Guido after ya).

You are going to need a forest adventure pass for this - let me know if you need help with this, you don't want try to get one on run day.

O' ya shine up your rigs - we might have some film guys along.
"Out of every 100 men you send us, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the one, one of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Re: April 25/26 - Idyllwild Run
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
OK, I'm in for this run but not for the pre-run unless my plans change. 

Mountain Passes:  These are available at several locations including Big 5 Sporting Goods.  One day pass is $5 and one Year pass is $30.  If you buy a year pass, you can also get the second year pass for only $5.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:05:22 AM »
If I make this trip it will be for Saturday only. Lance, when you do your pre run could please make note of a good exit point for Sat. afternoon.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
I've got a forest adventure pass someone can borrow.  Just swing by my place and pick it up.  :P  Or it may be cheaper to by the day pass.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
For those of you who have the annual America The Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass (the one that looks like a credit card) you can get a hang-tag from any ranger station (I think), so that you can hang the card in the front window like the Adventure Pass for when you are away from your vehicle.  It has a space where you can write in the expiration date and registration number.

For those in San Diego you can drive to the entry kiosk at Cabrillo Monument, they have the hang tags there.  I don't know if sporting goods stores have them, but REI might be worth a try too.

jefenger

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
I know Big 5 usually carries them. Last few times I've gone to Cleveland National Forest I've gotten passes from them.

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »
How about 9am.  Do we have an exact meeting spot yet?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Lightspur

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Either we will meet at the Cranston Ranger station off 74 past Hemet or Target Parking lot on 74 & Sanderson - let you guys know Sunday after the pre-run. 9:00 am is good but 10:00 am might be better for those with longer drives, I am waiting on feedback of whose coming, and what time they can get to Hemet.
"Out of every 100 men you send us, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the one, one of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »
If the Xcursion drive is going to be easy, 10am sounds good so we have a good size group at the meeting spot.  Unless the trip itself is long, then an early start would be better.  ;D
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Lightspur

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
Trail report:

My son Erik and I pre-drove the anticipated route for this month’s run this past Saturday, here’s what we found:

There is only 1 trail open starting at the base of the mountain – Bee Cyn.
The Indian Cyn, & Mellor Ranch Rd. cutoffs from Bee Cyn. are still closed due to the Esperanza Fire in 2006.
This leaves only NF 5s09 to Pine Cove.

Bee Cyn - 5s09
This trail/road is heavily used by ATV’s & bikes; it is narrow with a lot of blind turns. We saw one ATV to ATV accident, and one ATV to Xterra accident – yes us! The ATV’er lost control coming downhill and hit our right front bumper/fender.
Although very dusty at the bottom, this is a fairly nice single-track switch back type road taking about 1 ½ hrs to go 17 mi to the town of Pine Cove.

**I am however not recommending this for our weekend excursion due to the unsafe conditions and the current heavy traffic due to the other road closures.

Black Mtn Tower – closed until May 15
Azalea Cyn Rd. 4s01 – closed until May 15

Thomas Mtn Rd. – 10-17 mi (different cutoffs) ~ 2-4 hrs. Ridge road with great vistas, moderate level (ruts), good ½ day run. (We only ran ~ 5 mi/1 hr of this due to time).

If everyone still wants to go we can do Thomas Mtn. Rd. - 3 hrs moderate level.  This would start at Hwy 74 ~ 9 mi E. of Hemet, and end at lake Hemet on Hwy 243.

I am open to suggestions, but I feel this run should be held when the Black Mtn. Tower is open, and more OHV roads are open to eliminate the traffic and potentially hazardous conditions. Then do Thomas Mtn. to finish the loop.

Bee Cyn 1
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Traffic

Wreck - Guy had no spark arrestor and the Rangers were behind him - Ipod in ear & going way too fast!

More Bee Cyn

Turnout

Black Mtn Tower

Black Mtn. 4s01 - closed

Thomas Mtn Sunset and florescent liscense plate

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:03:12 PM by Lightspur »

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 01:10:11 PM »
It sounds like an xcursion in April was not meant to be. Thanks for going out and doing the prerun. Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope we are able to get out in May.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.

Quinn

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • Molan Labe!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
Right on Lightspur!  ;)

That's rad that you took the time to check out the trail before the run.

We fully appreciate that!

But, that's also a bummer that this run won't really work out like we had thought.

Much better to know now than later though.

Alright Mark, where to now? ???

And Cdagne....you still rollin' somewhere this weekend?

Cuz the Quinn family still wants to roll somewhere.
SSG 11B U.S. Army
40th Infantry Brigade Combat Team

I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you.

"Jersey girls ain't trash, trash gets picked up"

cdagne

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
Hey Quinn, the Dagne family is in all we need is a destination or path...

Quinn

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • Molan Labe!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »
Hey Quinn, the Dagne family is in all we need is a destination or path...

Okay, cool...

cuz we're going to bring our two girls again and they had a blast with yours last time.

Well, we have a few more days to decide a new location for this run.

I'll keep checkin' in.

If anyone has any input, please chime in. ;)
SSG 11B U.S. Army
40th Infantry Brigade Combat Team

I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you.

"Jersey girls ain't trash, trash gets picked up"

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
Lance, thanks for doing that pre-sun and for the trail report. I think you are right in that it would be best to wait for when the fire lookout is open. Those towers are fun to visit.

Here are a few ideas, but I am not going to be able to make it this month, as I have other plans. Someone else will have to organize and lead.

- Big Bear: should be a really nice time of year up there, I don't know any of the trails, but I know there are a lot of them.

- Upper Coyote Canyon: this one is outside of the town of Anza, at much higher elevation than most of Anza Borrego State Park. The "turkey track" down into the canyon can be fun, and there is a lot to explore down there. You can't go all the way down to Lower Coyote (the part accessible from Borrego Springs) but there is still enough for a one or two day trip. We camped there about this time of year a couple of years ago. It was nice.  It is part of the State Park, so fire only in metal container rules do apply. It's pretty well marked on the maps.

- Other (preferably higher elevation) areas of Anza Borrego State Park: it looks like the temps are going to drop significantly by the weekend, what I see now says only 80 degrees on Saturday. You might try Canyon sin Nombre, Arroyo Seco del Diablo and the Mud Caves. That would make a nice day trip, and there are places to camp too. Someone looking for a challenge could do the Diablo Drop-Off either on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. This area is pretty well marked, and a good paper map and/or guidebook will get you through if no one in the group has been there.