Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: SOTA (Summits on the Air)  (Read 3963 times)

wolfmanX

SOTA (Summits on the Air)
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Summits On The Air.

Just a probe here to see if anyone would be interested in participating in some SOTA trips.  Summits On The Air has traditionally been more popular in Europe, but is gaining some following in the US.  It is a Ham Radio related activity, and as such to participate requires one to have a license.  Anyone can participate in the hike/setup and extra mules are always welcome to carry radio equipment!

I recently made the following video after a local activation of Ryan Mountain.  Make sure to watch in HD.

SOTA  is composed of both

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
Re: SOTA (Summits on the Air)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
Sounds cool.  I love hiking.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

xtatik

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »
Jason,
For an interesting twist on SOTA, go to Youtube and search "goathiker".
I'm not interested much in lugging stuff up and down peaks, but I have activated a number of rare grid squares in the past.
If I'm not playing VE at a testing session in October, I will be operating from some remote spot in Inyo county during the California QSO party. Currently there is only one registered station activating that county.
K6ARW

wolfmanX

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
Jason,
For an interesting twist on SOTA, go to Youtube and search "goathiker".
I'm not interested much in lugging stuff up and down peaks, but I have activated a number of rare grid squares in the past.
If I'm not playing VE at a testing session in October, I will be operating from some remote spot in Inyo county during the California QSO party. Currently there is only one registered station activating that county.

Wow! haha never seen those videos.

Yep, SOTA is a bit more about the hike than anything else.  It's just something extra to do while on top of the world.