Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Potential SCCX 2020 End of Summer Xcursion  (Read 9825 times)

AdventureRider81

• 4wd Pts: 4
    • 2011 Nissan Xterra P4X / 2015 BMW R1200GS
Re: Potential SCCX 2020 End of Summer Xcursion
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
I dunno bout that being in Idaho for awhile part. Everytime I go up there, I have to make a whole lot of excuses to make myself leave.

Were planning on being on the Rubicon from7/22 to 26th.
Dammit man. Earliest I will be able to recover from this trip is early Aug. I will be out here awhile.

Jay, let's see if we can get something moving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11' P4X / 15' GS  StormTrooper Editions

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Potential SCCX 2020 End of Summer Excursion
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »

How does a 5 day to Coyote Flats sound in early Aug?

Potentially interested in this as well. I've got a few things to get squared away to make it happen - my 4 wheel drive is currently not functioning, and I'm working on acquiring a new/larger roof top tent. So fingers crossed that we can get all of that taken care of in time.

Gavin goes back to school 8/12, so if it's after that, we might have to do just a couple of days.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »
Just checking to see if any plans have been made yet. I have repaired the 4WD in my rig, and I will be picking up my new CVT tent this weekend.

Gavin will be out of state visiting my parents until July 26th, and he goes back to school on August 12th. So that leaves us just two weekends that we'd be available - the weekend of August 1st/2nd, and the weekend of August 8th/9th. The 8th/9th works much better for us, and we'd probably be able to take Friday the 7th and maybe even Monday the 10th off for a total of 4 days. If we did the weekend of the 1st/2nd, we'd only be available on Sat/Sun.

Edit: I've asked for and been granted August 7th and 10th off from work. So at this point, I'm taking a trip from 8/7 through 8/10 either way. :) I'm thinking Coyote Flat, as that'll probably be the only place with decent enough weather in the middle of August, but I've never been up there and don't really know what to expect. Time to do some research!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:23:41 AM by JFanaselle »

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
I am in for August 7-10.  Not sure at this time who else of the clan will be with me.  I have been informed by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I need to get out for some R&R.  How can I deny her?
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 05:04:11 AM »
It might be pushing it but that would be the weekend after we get back. I would like to get out there again in that area. As long as we don't have any real carnage and recovery time I will see what I can do. I would see if Joe would entertain bribing me with some free beer. BUT, we all know what kind of beer Joe drinks. There are just some things that a person cannot be bribed with....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:16:33 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
It might be pushing it but that would be the weekend after we get back. I would like to get out there again in that area. As long as we don't have any real carnage and recovery time I will see what I can do. I would see if Joe would entertain bribing me with some free beer. We all know what kind of beer Joe drinks. There are just some things that a person cannot be bribed with....

The 7-10 is the second weekend after you get back.  I'll even bring you a jug of Sailor Jerry if that is what it takes.   >:D
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 07:24:25 AM »
But I'm not buying you single malt.  You will have to ask Bugman for that. 

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 08:08:59 AM »
EDIT:

Looks like original idea of a long trip already got pooped on.

I will re-edit this with a smaller trip soon.

After all I like to make a mockery out of myself. It's more fun that way. Random flame GIF's anyone?

no need to down right shame yourself for trying to start something you want to do. Great idea, not gonna lie.. Just doesn't seem to be our cup of tea but numerous of ideas. Actually i want applaud you for bring up the a trip idea. With current social situation that is not helping anyone, not surprised to see everyone hunker down at home this year. Hopefully things clear up and get back to our normal trips and gatherings.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »
I could do 7-10
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
But I'm not buying you single malt.  You will have to ask Bugman for that. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Isaiah 6:8

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
I'm interested in this trip as well :)
2012 Frontier pro4x

AdventureRider81

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2020, 08:30:40 AM »
Headed to Coyote Flats today. I will scout it and post pix. Made to Sonora Pass yesterday.

I doubt we will make another trip up 395 this summer. We have already made arrangements for all but 1 weekend. At some point us and the truck will need some maintenance.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »
Just checking to see if any plans have been made yet. I have repaired the 4WD in my rig, and I will be picking up my new CVT tent this weekend.

Gavin will be out of state visiting my parents until July 26th, and he goes back to school on August 12th. So that leaves us just two weekends that we'd be available - the weekend of August 1st/2nd, and the weekend of August 8th/9th. The 8th/9th works much better for us, and we'd probably be able to take Friday the 7th and maybe even Monday the 10th off for a total of 4 days. If we did the weekend of the 1st/2nd, we'd only be available on Sat/Sun.

Edit: I've asked for and been granted August 7th and 10th off from work. So at this point, I'm taking a trip from 8/7 through 8/10 either way. :) I'm thinking Coyote Flat, as that'll probably be the only place with decent enough weather in the middle of August, but I've never been up there and don't really know what to expect. Time to do some research!
I am in for August 7-10.  Not sure at this time who else of the clan will be with me.  I have been informed by She Who Must Be Obeyed that I need to get out for some R&R.  How can I deny her?
We should try and make this Happen
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 10:53:22 PM »
We should try and make this Happen
In the words of Master Yoda - "Try not.  Do or do not.  There is no try."  I will be going.  It is just a matter of when and where we intend to meet.  I will be bringing the Dominator.  I will be in Bishop by 1300 on 8-7-20.  Whatever it takes.  It is anticipated that middle son Sean will be with me.  This area seems to be a good base camp location:  37.22930456,-118.4925747  provided it hasn't been taken already.  We may need to start a new topic to spec out the trip.

AdventureRider81

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2020, 08:14:22 AM »
Finally home, I'm definitely out on this now. Somewhere between the Sonora Pass and Coyote Flats shenanigans my EVAP canister and driver side CV half shaft started barking at me.

Coyote Flat - Man, this was a great run. Here our some Cliff Notes for ya'll.

1. Took 2 hours to get Funnel Lake
2. Nothing to difficult for our rigs. Lot of smaller rocks, minor rock gardens, minor v-notches.
    Note: Would definitely air down. Many of the rocks are just asking to pop a tire. Make sure spare tire is in good shape.
3. Keep an eye out for on coming traffic on the switch backs. Road is very narrow and can be hard to find a place to pass safely. Backing up on the switch backs would be interesting.
4. Ford Flat road is a no go. We tired to use this on the way down as a short cut. We were met by a wall of big boulders that are impassable. Looks like nobody has gone this way in years.
5. Onion Creek road (short cut to Big Pine) was more then we wanted to take on. Maybe with a lot of help it could be done. However, off camber shelf road with several obstacles that have you 3 wheeling towards the drop off side was not for us. I would advise to use Coyote Valley Road there and back to save yourselves a lot of time.
6. Funnel Lake is nice. However, it is very exposed to wind. I sent the coordinates of our camp site to @jayrat already. We thought this was the primo site. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Note: will ad pix shortly

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:52:54 AM by AdventureRider81 »