Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Bronco in 2020  (Read 2926 times)

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
Bronco in 2020
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »
New Bronco could be interesting, approach and departure angles sure resemble our lifted X's...wonder what rear susp is hidden under there?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/11/ford-bronco-spy-shots-rear-suspension/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Bronco in 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
Pretty cool that it's rolling on KO2s. That yields some confidence that it's actually going to be a capable off-road rig, rather than a simple re-use of the branding on a modern soccer mom SUV like other manufacturers are doing (Pathfinder, Blazer, etc.).

It is interesting that they are trying to hide the rear suspension in those shots, but I guess in that industry, they have to hide EVERYTHING to keep the competitors from guessing what they're up to. If I had to guess (and since it's reportedly based largely on the new Ranger design), I'd say it's probably a solid axle with leafs/shocks in the rear, and IFS up front. But it's got a very short wheel base, and you'd think the leaf hangers would be more obvious in some of those side profile shots, so maybe it's some kind of weird 4-link system in the rear.

I'm pretty excited about this rig, but cautiously. I just think it's exciting that someone is throwing another vehicle of this caliber back out in the market. With Nissan discontinuing the Xterra and Toyota doing away with the FJ, it seemed like the industry was shrinking and no one wanted to compete with Jeep. I'm happy to see Ford stepping up to the opportunity.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »
Theres no way the rear of that thing is on leaf springs, they are trying to hide the linkage arms so it will be coil spring rear with some sort of 3 or 4 link setup.  The arms are pretty short so there wont be alot of travel but nice to see it'll have a really good departure angle.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:13 PM »
I don't want to be to technical here but I looks like they hacked a foot off the back side, with a forward slant to boot. 
The pop-up rear window and gate looks like the top will be removable like the old ones.  I'm liking that.  I can see an aftermarket lid that will be two feet longer and come down to the open tail gate.  Remember, I thought of it first.
I loved my older bronco before they sissified it.  That's how I ended up with my X.  I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »
Well I sure hope the suspension design allows for enough adjustments - camber, travel, etc. - for serious wheeling, and bumpers will have tough built-in skids and even winch capable. It sure looks like 33”s are on it already. Hope the end product won’t be watered down and have too much driver assists.