Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Corral Canyon OHV passes  (Read 3868 times)

ShockBlue_Scott

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2002 Xterra
Corral Canyon OHV passes
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
For a day trip is a pass needed? My wife and I are thinking about checking out Los Pinos lookout and then coming down Espinosa Trail to finish the day off.

I have looked around on the Cleveland National Forest website but didn't find a definitive answer. I found some prices but nothing else.

Scott
Scott
2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue
City Heights, San Diego CA

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
The Los Angeles Nat. Forest uses adventure passes if you stop and "recreate".
   Maybe it's the same?

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
The Los Angeles Nat. Forest uses adventure passes if you stop and "recreate".
   Maybe it's the same?

From what I read the only vehicles that are required to have an adventure pass were parked vehicles, for example at this location would be 4 corners.
Scott

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
Yep. Sounds the same.

FrankB

Re: Corral Canyon OHV passes
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
You should have an Adventure Pass, especially if you plan to stop anywhere, even for a short time. The last few times I've been there the rangers do take that seriously.

By the way, if you have an annual National Parks pass you can use that, they're good for all Federal lands that have this sort of fee.  There is a paper holder you can hang from your rearview mirror that holds the pass and displays the number.  I don't recall the current rates, but a one-day Adventure Pass used to cost around $5, with the annual around $35, and the annual National Parks about $80 (unless you qualify for one of the discounted rate ones).  If plan to hit a National Park or two in next 12 months and you plan to be in the various So Cal forests, the NP pass is not a bad way to go.

The view from the top of the Los Pinos fire lookout is nice, definitely worth the drive.  Espinosa is a fun trail, but changes often.  Do check with the rangers before heading down that way.  Also, I'm guessing fire danger is pretty high right now.

Part way down Espinosa when the club went there in July 2006, the day before the start of the big fire that closed the area for a few years. More from that trip at this gallery: http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Club-Xterra-SCCX/Corral-Canyon-Espinosa-Jul/

From the fire lookout tower, July 2010.

Have fun, and let everyone know how it goes.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
Rangers do take the adventure pass thing serious but unless they changed the rules, the fine for not having one is the price it costs for one so not really a huge deal.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:08 AM »
Thank you for all you input. We are planning on going not too long after the first of the month. I will look into the day pass to save myself the ass chewing from the wife if I get a ticket.

Scott
Scott

LBSlide

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Yea I got a ticket in the Angeles national forest while me and my g/f pulled over to sled. Nothing was open that early to get a day parking pass never seen rangers. Then boom big ol' ticket on my truck. A stamp and $5 later the ticket was paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
Yea, I've talked to the rangers.  As long as they don't get you more than once they are pretty cool, pay your $5 and your on your way.  They catch you a bunch, they will get you towed haha.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Okay sweet. I'm just going to buy it to be safe. I know for a fact the wife will want to stop at the top for pictures.
Scott