Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Battery advice - need help choosing between two  (Read 9949 times)

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Battery advice - need help choosing between two
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
I think this is the one I'm going to go with.  It's on the "approved" listing and the Ah in the description seems to fall right in line with my battery's Ah.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517611120&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=c-tek+mus+7002
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
the Northstar doesnt need it but I do it just because it can't hurt.  Northstar uses the same thin plate technology as odyssey but supposedly they do not need the higher voltage like the odyssey.

Rick I have that exact charger because it has all the features I wanted, the output isn't as high as I wanted but it does the job.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:56:49 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
the Northstar doesnt need it but I do it just because it can't hurt.  Northstar uses the same thin plate technology as odyssey but supposedly they do not need the higher voltage like the odyssey.

Rick I have that exact charger because it has all the features I wanted, the output isn't as high as I wanted but it does the job.
Perfect, thanks for the input.  I've been looking at stupid chargers for hours, my typical over-thinking of things.
R. Long

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »
Celt - go with the one I bought from Batteries Plus - the same one knight rider recommended. It's freaking awesome for the price, and has a much larger capacity than the stock size. Drops right in, no modifications necessary, and the battery terminals fit with no modifications too. Plus, a 60 month warranty at all Batteries Plus locations nationwide. You really can't go wrong.

knight rider - are you saying that you still top off your Northstar knock-off? I figured I didn't need to do that now that I stepped away from Odyssey. Maybe I should be looking at investing in a charger too.   :-[

I'm going to check that out and see what to do. I do like that 60 month warranty and it has good CCA's. I just want to make sure it can stand up to running the fridge and winch and be able to bounce back. Maybe you and Knightrider can chime in a little about their performance over time and use.
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »
mine has been great so far, I left my fridge on fast freeze for about 18 hrs before the last trip so it made some 1 gallon ice cubes and still started the truck no problem the next day.  I put it on charge overnight after that just to bring it back to 100% before leaving.  I also used my winch to drag my truck over some rocks on a trip to coyote flats with Jeffbett and Steve with no issues.
Jordan - K6XTE

Celt

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
mine has been great so far, I left my fridge on fast freeze for about 18 hrs before the last trip so it made some 1 gallon ice cubes and still started the truck no problem the next day.  I put it on charge overnight after that just to bring it back to 100% before leaving.  I also used my winch to drag my truck over some rocks on a trip to coyote flats with Jeffbett and Steve with no issues.

It sounds like you and Joe really have some great things to say about those batteries. I've been doing some research for them but like to get opinions from guys I know. I appreciate all the feedback!

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
  It sounds like you and Joe really have some great things to say about those batteries. I've been doing some research for them but like to get opinions from guys I know. I appreciate all the feedback!

When Jordan guinea pigs a product and actually talks about it positively, you know it's good.
Usually, he "recommends" something for me to buy, I use it, then he considers the results.
We have about a 90% success rate so far so I don't feel too bad.

Eric, did you ever end up with solar?  I can't remember. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 12:19:42 AM »
As an aside, I have the 3110 pc whatever Odyssey group 31 monster battery.
I also have some diehard battery charger thing that Jordan recommended me to get on the ebay.

The ONLY time I had a problem was when I left my fridge plugged in for 6 days while parked at the airport.  It was early and I totally forgot to unplug it before i left. I had to have the airport parking lot dude give me a jump..
It was a group effort between my stupidity and the edgestar not shutting off at the right voltage.  ($300 fridge vs $1,200 fridge BTW edgestar vs. arb)

I have had the battery for a while, maybe 18 months to two years and I've only ever topped it off after that airport incident. 
Maybe it will die soon, I have no idea, but it's performing great for me so far. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Celt

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 04:25:14 AM »
Eric, did you ever end up with solar?  I can't remember. 

Yep, I run the solar panel if I'm going to be parked for more than a day. I just think that over the last few years of a lot of winching, refrigerator and heavy air compressor use beat the existing battery up. I'm still happy with Interstate but wanted to explore other options as it sounds like this may be one of the better ones. Thanks for the input!

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
So, I received the CTEK charger yesterday, broke it out of the box, hooked it up to start charging, and the charger wouldn't power on.  I guess I should've tried plugging it in, first.  I tried multiple outlets with not luck.  Back it goes. Hopefully, then next one won't have problems.
R. Long

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »
That's a bummer, you should get 2 lights when you plug it into the wall, the power led and one of the charge profile led next to the power led. 

You didn't happen to attach it to the battery first then the wall?  I always plug it into the wall first, not sure if that matters with the Ctek.
Jordan - K6XTE

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:32 AM »
That's a bummer, you should get 2 lights when you plug it into the wall, the power led and one of the charge profile led next to the power led. 

You didn't happen to attach it to the battery first then the wall?  I always plug it into the wall first, not sure if that matters with the Ctek.
I initially attached it to the battery first, old habit from the battery tender I use on the motorcycle.  When this didn't work I went to the wall, then the battery.  When this also didn't work, I just moved around to different wall outlets and the thing still wouldn't power on.  Oh well, Amazon is good about returns and I already have another on the way.
R. Long

RikRong

• Administrator
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Fun fact, the GFI circuit was tripped in the garage. I think I sent back a perfectly good charger. Lol That's what I get for not checking it in the house.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long

Celt

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
Fun fact, the GFI circuit was tripped in the garage. I think I sent back a perfectly good charger. Lol That's what I get for not checking it in the house.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

:D   :)

:D

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
doh
Jordan - K6XTE