Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anyone planning any runs during the holidays?  (Read 30577 times)

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
Re: Anyone planning any runs during the holidays?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
WTH!  I watched the video.  I heard the video.  What's all the noise? 
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
It said "turn down the volume"...
 I'm am soooooo down for truck haven.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
A good meet up spot for everyone, they have a large lot and a good place to ice up.
ARCO
1 (760) 394-1024
2084 Marina Drive, Thermal, CA 92274
http://m.google.com/u/m/w1TwOt
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 06:55:56 AM »
Does this mean we're going to Truck Haven??
I love it when a plan comes together

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
Holy Crap!!!! WE HAVE TO GO THERE!!!!

Agreed...pretty cool area with alot to offer in trail variety.

Just south of these trails is where Tierra Del Sol 4x4 Club hosts the annual TDS Safari each March.  There is an obstacle park year round, as well as great camping areas.

Calcite Mine trail is near here as well, not to mention the fantastic network available in Ocotillo Wells SVRA.  Frank B. is the Anza Borrego SCCX expert when it comes to this area for sure.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
OP
So I'll be out in Fallbrook from 22 Dec till 1 Jan on leave for the holidays and I wondering if anyone is planning do any offroading in the area that would 2wd freindly ish. And if there is no plans is anyone down for something, Im not familar with the area that well so any ideas would be great.
Truck Haven sounds like lots of fun for a lot of us so long as we have plenty of 2WD stuff in the area for the OP and our new friend 'Odinson', welcome.
I think there are such options.  Maybe Frank B can offer some suggestions.  Hint, Hint ??? 
I heard Calcite Mine got washed out and is difficult now.  Does anyone have recent reports?
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
Malls are 2wd friendly :-D

I've heard a lot of the tougher sections through truckhaven have easier bypasses much like cleghorn.  With the recent rains the trails will be a bit more challenging but nothing I don't think a little skinny pedal can't get you through
Jordan - K6XTE

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
So looks like the forecast has changed for the better, slight showers for wed and Thurs so the 29 looks clear.  Maybe truckhaven another time?
Jordan - K6XTE

HEVAK

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
Oh, come on!!!!

Please????

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
Well I haven't been there personally so I can't say for sure its 2wd friendly, just what I've read.  Recent rains might make the easy trails a little more difficult due to erosion and runoff. 

Due to our op looking for a 2wd run fallbrook might be the better choice.
Jordan - K6XTE

HEVAK

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
I'm down for whatever. But I can't wait to do Truck Haven with the crew.

FrankB

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
. . . .  Maybe Frank B can offer some suggestions.  Hint, Hint ???  . . . .

I thought I did that in about the second post in this thread.  Anyway, let's try again.

I've never been to Truckhaven, so can't help with that. I've never done the Calcite Mine Trail, but from what I understand it can change a lot from season to season.  As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, call the State Park Rangers and ask about any particular trails. They also have a board just inside the door of the Visitor Center that they update regularly.  If you don't have a paper map of the area, get one.  See the Xcursion Guidelines thread for suggestions for maps and guidebooks.

The 2WD-friendly routes I mentioned in my earlier post were more the kinds of places where the OP could go by himself if no one else wanted to go. That is not to say they would not be fun for a group though.  If you're going to have some 4WD trucks along for the ride, and don't mind taking a chance on getting stuck, there are a few more options that I can think of.

Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon (at least to the first rockfall bypass): I know of several 2WD's that have done this all the way out and back with no problems. This 13.5 mile each way drive is considered one of the most scenic in Anza Borrego.  The Park rangers suggest 4WD for the portion from the Wind Caves parking area on, and if you're not careful or don't know how to drive in sand you could have a problem, but then you'll have your shovel, or better yet friends with tow straps.  Don't miss the hike to the Wind Caves at about the 4 mile point from the trail start at the mouth of Fish Creek (at the end of Split Mountain Road).  Also, unless you want to spend some time on a strap, and have friends with patience, you might want to avoid Loop Wash. That said, I did follow a Honda Element (probably the AWD version) through Loop Wash once (and didn't see any pieces left behind), and we had a 2WD drive with us the last time we did that as a club run. He did smack the front end pretty hard on a few rocks in order to get over them though.

Rockhouse Canyon / Clark Dry Lake:  There is a 10-mile or so each way road that runs up the side of the dry lakebed, by the old WW2 Navy bombing target and emergency airstrip, and heads up toward Rockhouse Canyon past the quarry. You can find it on a map at the point a little before S-22 turns straight south right near where it intersects Henderson Canyon. Do not drive onto the dry lake bed, stay on the trail.  It's scenic up there.  This is an out and back the same way drive, you'll know when to turn around (or you'll get stuck in some rocks if you don't pay attention to the change in trail conditions in time).

Fonts Point:  Again, the rangers recommend 4WD but I see all sorts of vehicles at the parking area for the view point. One ranger told me it was the most popular spot in the Park to get stuck in the sand. The amount of sand varies from season to season, I've not been there since Spring, when it was pretty hard packed. If what I saw last weekend in Inspiration Wash was any indication, it might be a lot softer now. Still, if one does not drive like an idiot, and maybe have a 4WD friend along, it should be fine.

Military Wash (and probably Fault Wash) going north from San Felipe Wash at the edge of the Ocotillo Wells OHV area would be okay probably in 2WD. Every time I've traveled Military Wash it's been pretty hard packed, no problem at all in 2WD.  There are also a bunch of the wider dirt roads in the OHV that should be fine, and I've seen lots of what look like 2WD trucks out in San Felipe Wash in the State Park side going all the way west to Borrego Springs Road I would think.

Hope this helps, this is what I can think of right now. Feel free to ask anything specific any time.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
Did you locate the tank?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Deadpilot

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
I open to anything honestly. I know may be only 2wd (for now) but I'm not a stock 2wd and can do some things the 4wd guys can do. I was just asking for the fallbrook cause I just have to watch how much I spend on gas this trip. I was just trying to see if anyone was planning a run in the local area. But thanks for all the ideas on the trails in the area. That will help when I move back out here.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
 I'm over 2 hrs from Salton Sea and doing that this weekend would be too much of a stretch. How about we do Truck Haven on Jan 12th?