Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Chariot Mtn - Mason Valley TT - Oriflamme Rodriguez trail  (Read 4230 times)

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Chariot Mtn - Mason Valley TT - Oriflamme Rodriguez trail
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
After a long series of upgrades ending with getting the Lokka installed up front on my 2001, i wanted to take the X on a shakedown run to make sure everything actually works. This was a super easy trail with maybe a dozen obstacles on a 1+ trail.

Good news:
Truck did great with surprisingly few shakes and rattles. I do need a hold-down for the stuff in the back for the whoops. My camping chairs were leading the great migration into the back seats.

Bad news:
With the manual hubs engaged, the Lokka was like a welded diff, turning the steering wheel even when off-throttle was like turning an aircraft carrier. I’ll do some testing and maybe have MIT have another look at it.

More good news:
X can go just about anywhere without locker contraption up front. I just used 2wd.

More bad news:
The Jeeps put themselves in 4wd low and IDLED down the entire trail. I know there is a speed limit but we were in no danger of going anywhere near it. They did, however,  let me hit some offshoot trails which is where i learned how to make camping chairs float in midair. Entertaining show for the tailgunner.

There was a Pathfinder there who had comeback from the weekend before on a stage 3+ trail. The plastics didn’t survive but he was OK with that and this trip was a breeze...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:50:53 PM by zaphos »
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Chariot Mtn - Mason Valley TT - Oriflamme Rodriguez trail
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
nice!!!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
Looks like a great day

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
Sounds like the lokka may be adjusted a little too tight. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
It sounds like you started at Banner and went down to S-2.  That is a fun direction to go, and it's equally fun coming back the other way too (unless you get to the gate at Banner and find it locked).  You do want 4Lo for going down that long hill into Chariot Canyon.

The infamous Cattle Guard of Doom picture was taken on the Rodriguez trail back in May of 2006. 

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/mitch1351/Stuff/DSC01630.jpg

(Not my photo (obviously) - the credit for this picture, and for the infamous caption, belongs to Mitch.)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:30:33 AM »

Bad news:
With the manual hubs engaged, the Lokka was like a welded diff, turning the steering wheel even when off-throttle was like turning an aircraft carrier. I’ll do some testing and maybe have MIT have another look at it.

I'm not assuming you have no experience with front lockers but when the front locker is engaged steering can be very difficult. It can often feel like you have no power steering and the truck does not want to turn because both wheels are now spinning at the same speed and are somewhat fighting each other on the turn. Be careful trying to do a lot of steering while the front is locked as it puts a lot of stress on your front driveline. The IFS has a lot of weird angles it can be subjected to (One axle going up the other down while wheels turned) that a SFA doesn't have. What I normally prefer to do is get onto my line then lock out the front when needed and as soon as I clear the obstacle or need to re-align I unlock. I have no experience with your type locker but it sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:38:21 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Celt

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:40:08 AM »
It sounds like you started at Banner and went down to S-2.  That is a fun direction to go, and it's equally fun coming back the other way too (unless you get to the gate at Banner and find it locked).  You do want 4Lo for going down that long hill into Chariot Canyon.

The infamous Cattle Guard of Doom picture was taken on the Rodriguez trail back in May of 2006. 

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/mitch1351/Stuff/DSC01630.jpg

(Not my photo (obviously) - the credit for this picture, and for the infamous caption, belongs to Mitch.)

Is that Randy with no gray hair walking opposite of you ? ......  8)  Time sure is flying by.

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
  Is that Randy with no gray hair walking opposite of you ? ......  8)  Time sure is flying by.

That's not Randy. At least, I don't think it is.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »
I don't think Randy would ever wear hiking shoes or an etnies shoes tshirt.

Eric, the lokka is a lunchbox locker, not a true locker like an ARB but a 1 way locker.  It only locks under acceleration and if one wheel wants to spin faster than the other due to outside forces like when turning(outside wheel spins faster than inside) it should be allowed to due so, but it will not allow one wheel to take all the power like an open dif when you lift a tire or lose traction.

To test if the lokka is working, you can lock the front hubs and put it in 4wd and just do circles in a dirt lot, you should normally be able to hear the lokka clicking.  might help to have two people and have someone outside listening.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:00:30 AM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE

Celt

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
I don't think Randy would ever wear hiking shoes or an etnies shoes tshirt.

Eric, the lokka is a lunchbox locker, not a true locker like an ARB but a 1 way locker.  It only locks under acceleration and if one wheel wants to spin faster than the other due to outside forces like when turning(outside wheel spins faster than inside) it should be allowed to due so, but it will not allow one wheel to take all the power like an open dif when you lift a tire or lose traction.

To test if the lokka is working, you can lock the front hubs and put it in 4wd and just do circles in a dirt lot, you should normally be able to hear the lokka clicking.  might help to have two people and have someone outside listening.

Interesting, so it sounds similar to a Tru_Trac. Well I never stop learning something. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:01:52 PM by Celt »

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
not really but getting too far off topic...
Jordan - K6XTE

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Fred,

Sounds about right. These trails have about 15 different names but were super fun and relaxing. I really liked the creek bed at the old WPA site as well. Killer spot for overnighting if allowed.

Knight/ Celt,

No worries, I claim total ignorance on the Lokka aside from the basic concept. I’m going to lock the hubs in 2wd and 4wd and make some circles like you suggested and see what I get. I have read the same results from a guy and his turned out to have the pins installed backwards?

I really hope this is just me getting familiar with it and I don’t have to have the whole thing dropped and torn apart again. Worst case, i unlock a hub until i get to a really hairy section.

More pics ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ