Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 2008 Xterra...advice  (Read 4016 times)

mel4noise

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2008 Xterra...advice
« on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »
Hi guys: Mel here, long time Xterra owner, and hence, a fan. I just rolled into a new 2015, intending to get my 2008 repaired for sale. The mech at Tustin Nissan revealed that one of the cats is cored out, and debris backflowed into the engine, now it won't turn over. it had 230k miles last time the engine gave up the ghost, so I had 38k engine put in about 4 years ago. I 'sold' it to a friend until the cat blew, and had it towed Tustin Nissan with the hopes of rehab.

Just wondering if any of you might have some parting out ideas...or if a 2008 (Dark Blue) with the manual 6 speed, might have value for the right rebuild king....Needs some body work, new rubber.

Cheers

Mel

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Re: 2008 Xterra...advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
Hey Mel,

The Xterras do a short exhaust manifold but I have never heard of the cat flowing backwards through the exhaust and damaging an engine. Assuming the dealer isn't lying/ ripping you off, need some more info...

2x4 or 4x4?
Body damage - Pics would be VERY helpful.
Which model of the Xterra?

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. If the body is mostly clean and it is the top model (2008 I think the top was the "Offroad" model or something), might be worth posting on Craigslist to see if anyone is interested in trying to source a new engine. If it is 2 wheel drive, cloth interior, etc., probably best to have a wrecker come pick it up.

Just my $.02
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

mel4noise

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Hey Zaphos: thanks for the advice. Apparently one of the Cats 'cored' out...the mechanic was kind of amazed. I will have to take some pics....but the body work needed is a front fog light, a right side quarter panel, and maybe a rear rightside quarter panel dent.

This one is the Pro4x Offroad, and definitely a 4wd....lol, why would anyone buy anything else?

Cheers! a couple of pics coming

Mel

zaphos

• 4wd Pts: 5
    • 2001 Xterra SE 4x4
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Hey Mel,

Yup, it is a tough call, seems like it comes down to time, hassle factor, and risk.

She has good “bones” and blue xterras are among the best looking but those engines are so freakin expensive to rebuild.

My best guess would be to try and sell it on Craigslist for a while if you have the time. You might bump into a guy who has the time to rip a motor out of a wrecked xterra and use your shell. There is no shortage of masochists in the offroad community .

If you have the time and wrenching skills yourself, there are wrecked xterras all over you can source a motor from (and pray the engine is good) but it is a BIG project.

Having a shop install a motor you found would be REALLY expensive but you MIGHT be able to pull it off as a complete Pro 4x is worth WAY more.

You can part it out but that is the never-ending hassle of dealing with endless people and then you have to get the stripped frame hauled off.

Just having it hauled and getting a few hundred for it is the obvious easy solution.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Destination unknown but I'm on my way.

KI6EBQ

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
Blown cats are a well documented problem on the X, as they age. Engine damage doesn't happen all the time because of it, but it is also well documented on the forums.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
I am currently rebuilding my 2007 OR 6 speed X.  The right side cat shreaded weeks ago and ate the oil rings ONLY, on that side.  Everything else looks great.  It only has 80K miles on it. 
If you decide to part out your X, I could use E locker unit ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

mel4noise

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
yo, thanks you guys. I appreciate all the advice. I am probably going to turn the page on that adventure, having neither the time, patience or expertise to part out etc. Might have to donate this one, if for the free towing alone.

Cheers Mel