Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Lifting Questions  (Read 3830 times)

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Lifting Questions
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
LIFTING QUESTIONS:

Ok...quick rundown...

I have total chaos UCA's with Bilstein 5100 coilovers up front...

I'm looking to add some height...

My options are either PRG's basic lift or Nisstec's Spacer and shackle seperately (couldn't find a combo like PRG's)

Shop bias aside; thoughts?  My reasoning behind getting one of these is to maintain the height I have or even go up a little, and alleviate some of the height on the Bilsteins so they aren't maxed out and will be able to absorb more...is that right?  Will I be able to expect more cushion from the Bils up front if I have spacers lifting?

Anyway, as always, thanks for any and all feedback! 

-Christiaan
xxSVxx

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
Re: Lifting Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
I did the fiscally challenged route on my lift.  I found spacers and shackles on Ebay and only spent about $125.00.  The down side was that the spacer was a little taller than PRG, Nisstec or Cal-Mini so it made the install a little difficult, but I got a 3 1/4" total lift.  With the Total Chaos UCA's I have not had any issue with the drive line and have gone about 30k miles.  The rear shackle I found had the cross piece for added strength and has been fine.  The only down side to the set up was that the truck sat ass low, I just remedied that today and added the PRG 2 leaf Deaver set and install 10" travel Fox 2.0's which leveled me out (truck wise).  Nobody makes a stock shock that accommodates the 3"+ lift so Ken at ORW did some research and hooked me up.  He said he gave me the John Tyler discount but I think that added $20 to the price.  ???  The next opportunity I have I will need to get longer brake hoses.  There is no doubt that the major manufactures do their research and build a product that works well with the vehicle.  Sometime off brands work just as well and still work within the safe parameters and save you a few bucks.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Xtracrispy

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
In theory, the Bilsteins maxed out are able to give 2" of lift, maybe slightly less since you have a bumper and junk. So if you added PRG spacers and dropped the bils down to stock, or .5", or maybe 1", you would be at the same height, or a little more but using less preload.

So In short, yes, you should be able to do that. I'd do the PRG spacers over nisstecs though, since they move the whole coilover/strut assembly down. Th nisstec spacers basically preload the spring, which the bilsteins are already capable of doing.

I have heard of people on NewX.org doing the spacers with bils at stock height with UCA's with favorable results. However, I have not run this setup, so it it just hearsay:)

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
As far as lift for the rear is concerned:

Are AAL's better than shackles?  When I say better, I am asking in regards to performance.....absorption, etc?  I'm assuming yes, but I'd rather not assume when it comes to my rig...

I have an AAL in there right now, but it's busted....so I need to figure this out....nobody likes the guy w/ a busted AAL on his rig ;)

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
As far as lift for the rear is concerned:

Are AAL's better than shackles?  When I say better, I am asking in regards to performance.....absorption, etc?  I'm assuming yes, but I'd rather not assume when it comes to my rig...

I have an AAL in there right now, but it's busted....so I need to figure this out....nobody likes the guy w/ a busted AAL on his rig ;)

So you have broken AAL in the rear with OEM shakles?    How many leafs are broken?
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
I believe one per side is shot....you can barely see them because all that's really left are the pieces under the axle...

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: Lifting Questions
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
Yea it took me a little while to find his aal, hes got, well had a single aal.  Hes got about 25% of an aal now, the pass side has the front half, no back, and the drivers is pretty much just a 1/4" lowering block because its broken in front and behind the Axel.

Christian, the aal will firm up the suspension.  Shackles will lift while adding a little more droop travel with the downside of softening the springs. 

An aal will firm up the rear suspension

Not sent with the stupid auto guide app
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

xxSVxx

• 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
So, I'm looking at PRG's basic lift kit w/ the added Deaver 2 leaf spring pack in lieu of shackles.  For my situation, would that be the better route since my AAL is busted anyway?

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
I just put the PRG/Deaver 2 leaf on with the Fox shock before the Cleghorn run and couldn't be happier.  Great ride.  I already had the longer shackles so it lifted me about 3 1/2".  The X does a little stink buggin' but I'm sure it will settle over time.  I went to a few 4 wheel shops and they all recommend this set up.  So far so good.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: Lifting Questions
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
The aal would most likely be better for you.  When you want more lift then do shackles.  That's my next purchase, getting brand new km2 installed now at discount tire.  One tires being covered by the road hazard warranty, sweet.

Not sent with the stupid auto guide app
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit