Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Arizona Expedition w/ Rogue Overland - 1/25/19 - 1/28/19  (Read 26920 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Arizona Expedition w/ Rogue Overland - 1/25/19 - 1/28/19
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Hahahaha..... Got it!
Isaiah 6:8

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
Awesome pics, Joe! Makes me drool, all those nicely prepped rigs. Thx for sharing!

So for our rigs, what are the recommended mech spares to bring on these long trips, wheel bearings, cv axles, ??

Celt

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
Awesome pics, Joe! Makes me drool, all those nicely prepped rigs. Thx for sharing!

So for our rigs, what are the recommended mech spares to bring on these long trips, wheel bearings, cv axles, ??

A lot of it depends upon what type of thing you are doing. I prefer doing more the rock crawling type of wheeling. Spare half shafts are an important item to have. Along with those you need to look at spare seals, the socket to pull the castle nut and the tools to pull the broken piece from inside the R-180. If you are Titan swapped it's a lot easier process however over the years I've seen more Titan swap breaks than R-180's. You mileage on that may vary. Other things that are good to carry are crank/cam shaft position sensors. Lot's of J.B> Quick weld, RTV, Tire plug kit, spare valve stems, radiator stop leak, hose weld tape, fluids, multi-meter etc. Some guys go as far as carrying extra major parts like alternators etc. It's kind of a balancing act between being prepared and hauling more stuff than a Kragen Auto parts store can sell in a month.

What I have found that works well on some of these trips is to coordinate with each other in the group about spare parts so you can share the wealth and not bring a bunch of extra stuff. Along with that list of parts that I commonly carry is I try and keep a well stocked tool kit, jumper cables, tow/snatch strap and plenty of ratchet straps. Those can fix a lot of broken part issues. You would be surprised on how many different really great trail fixes I have seen and been a part of over the years. I'm sure I have forgotten a few things as others will to be sure chime in. It's all about the learning for sure.

x4dblduty

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2006 Off Road Granite
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
So many good points Celt, thanks!! At this point I'm more worried about my halfshafts and driveshaft CVs at 130K.  I do carry lots of recovery gear already, and many common parts like relays, cats, done already. Next wheel is Anza Borrego this wknd but I don't think we'll get to the Squeeze section of Sandstone.   

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
A lot of it depends upon what type of thing you are doing. I prefer doing more the rock crawling type of wheeling. Spare half shafts are an important item to have. Along with those you need to look at spare seals, the socket to pull the castle nut and the tools to pull the broken piece from inside the R-180. If you are Titan swapped it's a lot easier process however over the years I've seen more Titan swap breaks than R-180's. You mileage on that may vary. Other things that are good to carry are crank/cam shaft position sensors. Lot's of J.B> Quick weld, RTV, Tire plug kit, spare valve stems, radiator stop leak, hose weld tape, fluids, multi-meter etc. Some guys go as far as carrying extra major parts like alternators etc. It's kind of a balancing act between being prepared and hauling more stuff than a Kragen Auto parts store can sell in a month.

What I have found that works well on some of these trips is to coordinate with each other in the group about spare parts so you can share the wealth and not bring a bunch of extra stuff. Along with that list of parts that I commonly carry is I try and keep a well stocked tool kit, jumper cables, tow/snatch strap and plenty of ratchet straps. Those can fix a lot of broken part issues. You would be surprised on how many different really great trail fixes I have seen and been a part of over the years. I'm sure I have forgotten a few things as others will to be sure chime in. It's all about the learning for sure.

great list; I'll add, from personal experience, I have one spare front and rear shock I take on any longer excursion....because REASONS.

Celt

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 06:24:40 PM »

great list; I'll add, from personal experience, I have one spare front and rear shock I take on any longer excursion....because REASONS.

HAHAHAHHA................. Haven't heard from you in awhile hope all is well. What did you end up doing with your rear differential?

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 09:22:31 AM »
HAHAHAHHA................. Haven't heard from you in awhile hope all is well. What did you end up doing with your rear differential?

replaced it w/ one w/ 100k mi on it.....still haven't really taken her out since but I'm warming up to the idea....thx for asking Celt :)

Rogue Overland

• 4wd Pts: 16441
    • 2001 SAS Xterra /2002 Xterra / 2012 TS Xterra
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
It was a blast having you guys on the trip!  For anyone not on social media the videos from the trip are live and are the top two videos on this page:

http://www.rogueoverland.com/the-adventure