Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Few questions about xcursions...  (Read 18143 times)

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: Few questions about xcursions...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »
1. Is FRS required and having a CB just an added bonus? (also can anyone point me to some literature on radios in general as I get easily confused with the different types of radios and their purpose)

Yes - FRS is required. Amateur (ham) radio is a very nice to have.

2. What type of fire extinguisher do you normally pack? (A/B/C... mini, fullsize... do you strap it down in the trunk?)

None - only a shovel and water.

3. How thick of a tow strap? (2in, 3in...) Length?

I have a big round rope rated for way more than the truck weighs and a big tow strap too - both about 20 feet long.

4. I don't want to skimp on the air compressor (I like buying something once and be done with it), so would anyone recommend a C02 solution like PowerTank? (http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/13/productID/26)

I went with the Viair $150 compressor. I make about ten of the twelve yearly runs and the compressor works well enough. It's small but it kicks butt and I often end up filling six to ten tires a trip. The less expensive ones put out less air and can "thermal" in the heat. I store mine in a steel .50 ammo can - that heat Frank mentioned can burn your camping gear.

5. Maps... do you all have physical USGS 1:24000 maps of the area? I have a garmin and was thinking about getting the digital TOPO maps loaded, anyone done this/recommend it?

I have the topo maps for my Garmin nuvi and recommend against them. They're simply not detailed enough. I did find the maps on a personal computer far more detailed and use a Dell Mini-9 and an Earthlink GPS.

6. Tents you recommend, or does everyone sleep in the X? I like to backpack (but haven't been out in a while and don't have my own tent....yet), so something lightweight that I could pack would be excellent.

I have two tents - one for summer and one for the winter. The summer one is a bigger/heavier one with lots more open mess net for cooling. The winter one is smaller and more streamlined to resist the winter wind storms. Being smaller it holds the heat a bit better. I always tent camp and more important than the tent is the air bed and sleeping bag. I have two pairs of sleeping bags - summer lightweight cotton and heavy duty hollo-fill type big bags.

and lastly...

7. Any general xcursion tips from the pros?

I also have two barbeque grills - a propane one for the summer restrictions and a charcoal one for the fine winter tastes. I like a hot lunch so we have a little $25 12 VDC oven to heat up sandwiches or hotpockets. Nice an yummy on a cold winter mountain run. I always carry ten gallons of water burning though about five of it between hot showers, washing dishes and dogs, and putting out the fires - the remaining five gallons is a comfort/safety reserve. On the longer runs I'll bring five gallons of gas and dump it in on Sunday morning for a bit of a margin.

And finally two last tips - if Brian says it's "stock friendly" it's likely not, and on the trail don't follow his line without looking very carefully.  ;)
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

kxterra

• 4wd Pts: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
I can't speak for those that have been in the club longer or gone on a lot of Xcursions, but I'll throw in what I carry in my X.  I've got the compressor from costco mentioned above... its great.  Also, i use a coleman tent, same one for years, definitely can't go wrong with one. I cary two straps, both rated for more than the X, also a high lift and shovel.  Maps for the area I'm in are a must, and a car GPS and hand held GPS.  Currently carry a small fire extinguisher.  As for other things and tips, an ax, saw, survival kit (mine is rediculous), MRE's, water, tools, emergency equip., CB, FRS (at times), rope, toilet (can come inhandy after carne asade burritos),  flashlights, compass (know how to use it) and other misc. outdoor neccesities.  And other items I'm sure I forgot...

Don't forget TP. ;D

DWphoto

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
I'm loving the input guys. This is exactly what I was hoping for!

So much to consider before even setting foot out on the trails; guess I have my work cut out for me :)

Setting foot out on the trail is the most important part.
Just start out with the basics.

Radio
basic tools to fix vehicle
Water
Food.
Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back.

and go have fun.

I find myself worrying/spending $ on upgrading/ modding my truck. Instead of just running what I have and getting out there.

E   

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »
I second that. I do this and carry a strap at a minimum so I can help pull myself or someone else out if needed. I carry the addtion of a jack on harder stuff or trails I dont know well enough. But the radio is a critical asset to let some know you are having trouble unless you are bobby of course.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »
Those FRS radios ought to work fine - the privacy codes are what you need. Do not pay any attention to the range claims - they're bogus.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Those FRS radios ought to work fine - the privacy codes are what you need. Do not pay any attention to the range claims - they're bogus.
aggreed , to many variables tobe able to make a claim. Like weather, height, etc..

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »
I saw what looked like some good ones at Costco.  Can't remember the brand; whatever the main one is.  But I almost picked up the same ones at REI, only costco, for the same price, gave you three instead of two.  The reason why they looked good to me was that they came with a car charger. 
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

FrankB

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 11:09:01 PM »
I saw what looked like some good ones at Costco.  Can't remember the brand; whatever the main one is.  But I almost picked up the same ones at REI, only costco, for the same price, gave you three instead of two.  The reason why they looked good to me was that they came with a car charger. 

I picked up the 3-pack of Motorola radios at Costco recently.

- The volume on them is much better than the other Motorola's that I have. I can actually hear these.
- They feel a little bit lighter and less sturdy than my older ones, but they are probably just as good.
- When I plugged in the car charger towards the end of a long day of use I noticed 2 things that bothered me: (1) you could not use the radio while plugged in, and (2) it immediately reverted back to Ch 1, subcode 1. Both of those were not what I expected or wanted to see.

Overall though, they seem to work okay. There are probably less expensive options out there. As for the refurbished ones for $80+ that someone mentioned, you may as well get the 3-pack from Costco if you're going to spend that much.