Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Back in the game  (Read 6731 times)

Grimx

• 4wd Pts: 7
Back in the game
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
Back in the off road game. Think my old account on here got deleted. Been about 3 years maybe. Still have the same X, 04 4x4.  I forget my old name on here, might have also been grimx or maxterra. Anyways, I was about to start looking into getting a new vehicle and selling my X but recently hit a trail and resparked my interest in off roading. Now that I'm older and a much better income I can actually put some money into it. So any extra gen 1 armor or other random parts you think i could use let me know :)

Thanks guys!

P.S. Superslidestyle: I don't know if you remember, it was so long ago, I was the one that let you and your family into the OC fair

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
Re: Back in the game
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
Welcome back!

If you're keeping your Gen 1 you should start looking into an SAS. Start looking for a wagoneer front axle.
WE6DGR

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I will be keeping my x as my everyday driver/only vehicle. Is there any cons to driving it everyday with a SAS?

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:07:03 AM »
OH I remember my old name. It was Tremor

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
My X is my daily driver. I think 0317's X is his DD also. So he can add insight too.

I think my X rides smoother since the SAS. The SAS requires you to actually put in a front suspension system instead of just torsion bars. You'll notice a few small differences in how it behaves but some of that is also from being higher off the ground. The off road performance is a dramatic upgrade.

I put a Detroit Locker on my rear so my tires supposedly wear faster but I've been driving my rig for a year and a half since the SAS and I'm happy with the way my tires are wearing.
WE6DGR

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
I agree with Goon, definitely a smoother ride. My opinion is Nissan should of rolled the xterra off the assembly line with a solid axle. Most noticeable difference is the sway, being lifted much more and on coil overs.

Remember there are several pickups that come stock with solid axles up front and DD just fine.
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
Ahh well in that case a sas will definetly be something I'll look into for the near future. Did you do the work yourself or have a shop?

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »
I did the work myself (except the welding) with the Calmini Kit. That is the easiest route but there are people out there doing beefier three links by modding other kits.
It took me 6 months to complete the project but most of that time was waiting for the kit and finding the donor axle. I also swapped my rear axle as part of this project and had to find that donor axle. I also had to coordinate schedules with getting time at The Shop to work on it.

My passenger A arm was broken and my rig was not drive able when I did all this. If you order the kit and have all the parts on hand BEFORE you start the job, it won't take anywhere near that long. There is some cutting, grinding, and welding that needs to be done.
WE6DGR

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
Ahh so start collecting parts here and there then when the time comes I'll have some if not all the parts ready on hand.

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
Not even that if you go the Calmini route. I takes them a while to fab the kit. Check out Calmini.com and my build thread.
Start searching junkyards for 80's wagoneers. One draw back to an SAS is you will need manual locking hubs. You won't be able to just shift into 4wd anymore. You'll have to get out to lock the hubs.
WE6DGR

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
Right on. thanks for the tips. I'll check everything out when I get some spare time. What are good prices I should look out for an axle?

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
I got my axle from a junk yard for $200 bucks, but then spent $2000 rebuilding it. new gears, ARB locker, Chromoly 30 spline shafts, all new brake hardware, locking hubs, diff cover.

I have 85 grand wagoneer 44 on my rig.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/marinecorpwife8/2-5.jpg
Back in the game
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:07:15 PM by 0317 »
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

GreenGoon

• SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
I bought a whole '88 wagoneer that didn't run for $350. I sold the rear axle and scrapped the rest. I went with a trac loc in the front and 5.13 gears. (you will need new gears in the front minimum to match the rear but if you go with bigger tires you will need to re-gear the front and the rear.) You may as well lock up the front while you are re-gearing. An air locker is nice but not necessary in the front because it is not engaged unless you lock your hubs. There are a ton of locker options for the Dana 44.
WE6DGR

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »
I checked...your old account is still active. Let me know if you want a new password. 

GhostX

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Grimx

Re:
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Thanks ghostx, I kinda like my new name though. Grim is a nickname I have so it feels a little bit more natural I guess haha.