Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Death Valley superbloom  (Read 3264 times)

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Death Valley superbloom
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
Hey guys, with all the precipitation we've been getting I'm hoping we get another really colorful superbloom.

I was reading Rick's awesome write up of his trip a few years ago (?) and was looking for suggestions on some less popular spots in Death Valley to go catch the bloom in March/April. 

I saw 'Warm Springs' mentioned, and I did Cerro Gordo last year, but I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the place so it doesn't hurt to ask.

As always, thx in advance for any help

:)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Death Valley superbloom
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 10:45:15 AM »
sounds like a trip in the planning

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
It'll defintely be nice bloom, but there were quite a few people out there when we went.  I know it'll be even more busy than it was during that year because it's going to be even more publicized this year, if it happens.  I can't speak on the locations because I don't know the Valley that well, but if you all get a trip together, I'd be down for trying to get in on it. 
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
 It's not exactly Death Valley but the Dumont Dunes about 30 minutes away from Baker is a nice place to camp and has lots of hillsides surrounding it. I just drove through there last week and there was still running and standing water so I assume it won't be long until the place gets into bloom.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
Hey guys, with all the precipitation we've been getting I'm hoping we get another really colorful superbloom.

I was reading Rick's awesome write up of his trip a few years ago (?) and was looking for suggestions on some less popular spots in Death Valley to go catch the bloom in March/April. 

I saw 'Warm Springs' mentioned, and I did Cerro Gordo last year, but I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the place so it doesn't hurt to ask.

As always, thx in advance for any help

:)

Found some basic tips and locales at the links below:

https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/nature/wildflowers.htm
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.